ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-24-2016   #1
jon_d4

Default State inspection problems. Can't get up to speed on dyno

94 ZR1

Has anyone else had trouble getting their car to work on an inspection dyno? I'm attempting to get my inspection here in Texas, and the tech could not get the car up to speed on the dyno. This is the second shop I've visited with the same result. He said there was an "ABS like noise" coming from the car. He turned the traction control off. I don't know what else it could be?
jon_d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: State inspection problems. Can't get up to speed on dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_d4 View Post
94 ZR1

Has anyone else had trouble getting their car to work on an inspection dyno? I'm attempting to get my inspection here in Texas, and the tech could not get the car up to speed on the dyno. This is the second shop I've visited with the same result. He said there was an "ABS like noise" coming from the car. He turned the traction control off. I don't know what else it could be?
Grabbing at straws here, but inspection "techs" are famous for not knowing how the emergency brake operates. Many times there have been incidents where the brake was set and the inspection ppl attempted to run the test!

Just a thought!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-24-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #3
GOLDCYLON

Id offer to drive it for them. That's what I had to do in the past as the kid didn't know how to drive a standard correctly
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #4
jon_d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Grabbing at straws here, but inspection "techs" are famous for not knowing how the emergency brake operates. Many times there have been incidents where the brake was set and the inspection ppl attempted to run the test!

Just a thought!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm fairly certain that the parking brake was disengaged while he was running it. I watched him disengage it when he moved the car to the inspection bay.
Old 07-25-2016   #5
jon_d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Id offer to drive it for them. That's what I had to do in the past as the kid didn't know how to drive a standard correctly
I may have chalked it up to incompetence if it was just one shop. But both shops I took it to said the same thing. i initially thought it may have been user error, but I don't believe that's the case now. It's almost like some system is interfering and cutting out power, which is why I was thinking traction control. But it still had this issue with traction control disabled. I'm really at a loss...
Old 07-25-2016   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
I may have chalked it up to incompetence if it was just one shop. But both shops I took it to said the same thing. i initially thought it may have been user error, but I don't believe that's the case now. It's almost like some system is interfering and cutting out power, which is why I was thinking traction control. But it still had this issue with traction control disabled. I'm really at a loss...
You can get the car up to speed normally right? Are you sure he turned off the traction control or did he tell you he turned the traction control off? Did you cycle the button and have him retry or did he give up on one?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #7
mike100

My 91 drove fine on an emissions dynomometer with only the rear wheel turning as did my old 1995 C4 coupe with the traction control. I have never heard of C4 having a condition with a pair of wheels not turning that caused the ABS/TC to freak out.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #8
Hib Halverson

Quote:
94 ZR1

An "ABS like noise" coming from the well behind the driver seat indicates that TCS was trying to enable brake intervention.

Maybe the TCS switch is defective. When he turned TCS off, was the "Traction Control Off" light on and was the tech getting the vibration feeback though the accelerator pedal one gets when TCS enables? If not, it might be that even though he pushed the switch, TCS was still enabled.

There is an easy way for you to test this.

Find a wet road or wet parking lot. Turn TCS off, then try and spin the tires. You should be able to do that easily. If TCS is on, you won't be able to spin the tires. You will feel the accelerator shaking and the rear brakes enabling.
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 07-25-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #9
93RubyZ

I haven't had any problems and just had mine inspected in June. Last two times I had it inspected at Kwik Kar in Keller and Roanoake.
93RubyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #10
pantera1683

I had the same problem when I went through the test the first time. My solution was to deactivate the traction control.
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote