ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-07-2010   #1
rhipsher

Default The end part 2.

You have to gind down one of the ears of one bushing to about a 30 degree X 1/4 long chamfer. On the other about a 30 degree X 1/8 long chamfer so you can actually get them started. They will both have to be pressed in from the lipped side.

As you can see the bushing with the big chamfer is also chamfered smaller on the other side. Thats no necessary to do. I only did it because in the beginning I thought I was gonna be able to press them in from the front and back side. But this was a learning expieriance for me also.

While I was at it I also put new poly on the adjustable rear camber rods. Heres a little vid on that.http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...urrent=yyy.mp4
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: The end part 2.

What brand are yours? The instructions that came with mine said the sleeve had to pressed out of the batwing.

I do not have a press so I had drill out enough rubber so I could push out the center sleeve and then the rubber was able to come out.

Since I did not have a press like the instructions said and even the Auto Crafts Shop on the military base did not have the right size to press out, I took off the hacksaw blade and reassembled it around the sleeve and cut very gently until I saw I was through the sleeve. I was then able to crush the sleeve and pull it out.

I then greased them and just slip them in. There was no cutting and trimming the poly bushing at all.

I just thought I would share a different method.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

rhipsher,

I'm a little concerned after thinking about it and remembering how it mounts up in the body. Do you think you will need the poly trimmed off to hold the batwing in there properly? If you already buttoned up and drove it with no issues that I am wrong. It just seems it needs to have that portion flush with the batwing to remain stable in the mount to the body? Just thought I would mention it.

Craig

Old 08-08-2010   #4
rhipsher

It drives great. And iif you look at the original rubber one it had no ears at all. Your not supposed to grease any of the bushings to help press them in. The grease is only for the I.D for the sleeve. And the ones that needed to be greased on the I.D were fluted. It is the prothane kit. And the kit didn't say anything about removing the bat wing sleeves. All that came with the kit was an inventory list. No how to instructions.

Last edited by rhipsher; 08-08-2010 at 11:08 AM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #5
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
What brand are yours? The instructions that came with mine said the sleeve had to pressed out of the batwing.

I do not have a press so I had drill out enough rubber so I could push out the center sleeve and then the rubber was able to come out.

Since I did not have a press like the instructions said and even the Auto Crafts Shop on the military base did not have the right size to press out, I took off the hacksaw blade and reassembled it around the sleeve and cut very gently until I saw I was through the sleeve. I was then able to crush the sleeve and pull it out.

I then greased them and just slip them in. There was no cutting and trimming the poly bushing at all.

I just thought I would share a different method.
This is exactly how I did mine, took me while to figure out that the metal sleeve needed to come out. Used the same hacksaw cut and it came out like a charm.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
It drives great. And iif you look at the original rubber one it had no ears at all. Your not supposed to grease any of the bushings to help press them in. The grease is only for the I.D for the sleeve. And the ones that needed to be greased on the I.D were fluted. It is the prothane kit. And the kit didn't say anything about removing the bat wing sleeves. All that came with the kit was an inventory list. No how to instructions.
Good news and glad it worked out. You're correct about the grease and based on all the other instructions for the entire kit. Mine were Energy Suspension and came with these instructions:

Here is more info and might have to replace the ***** with corvette forum

http://forums.*************.com/c4-t...-bushings.html

Thanks for posting all your info as it encouraged me to do the entire front end too and assemblying everything back today. I think I had the kit sitting in my cabinet for about 5 years or so.

Old 08-08-2010   #7
carter200

Craig,
Very shiney looking parts

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
Craig,
Very shiney looking parts
Thanks Carter. I have this illness that I have to clean everything before putting it back in.......the while I'm in there syndrome.