ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-15-2018   #1
Wigert

Default Coolant leak

Hello everyone! I am new to the registry and own a 1990 zr1. I have several issues that need solving including a coolant leak, an oil leak and a very high oil consumption. But lets start with the coolant leak and i will start new threads on the other stuff when i get to those...

The coolant leak seems till be coming from the lowest part of the thermostat housing. I hope it is visible in the picture. I could not really see any coolant running from further up (even though it seems wet). I looked in the factory manual and there does not seem to be a seal in the housing? The bolt seems tight. Any suggestions om what to do would be much appreciated.IMG_20180314_205500.jpg

Skickat från min GEM-701L via Tapatalk
Wigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018   #2
Dynomite

Default Coolant leak

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/seal-co...at-90-95-11c1/

Thete are some tricks in removing thermostat.

Thermostats, Fans, Water Pump, and Radiators

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-15-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Dynomite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018   #3
A26B

Default Re: Coolant leak

There is a seal around the thermostat flange, inside of the housing.

The lowest part of the thermostat housing is where the leak end up, but may be higher up. You will need to clean the housing & connections, then dry off.

There are 2 heater hose connections on top of the housing that could be leaking, as well as the hose clamp visible in your photo (Have you tried tightening the clamp?).

Once dry, you can try to wrap a narrow band of folded paper towel around the heater hose connections. If they become wet, then you know the leak is in that area.

Once you locate the leak, better help can be provided.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018   #4
Wigert

Hey Dynomite!
Thanks for the reply. I did not realize that the seal that you referenced was also a seal for the housing. I thought that there would be an additional seal just between the mating surfaces. So replacing that seal should help with the leak? It does not seem to complicated to replace it.

Old 03-15-2018   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigert View Post
Hey Dynomite!
Thanks for the reply. I did not realize that the seal that you referenced was also a seal for the housing. I thought that there would be an additional seal just between the mating surfaces. So replacing that seal should help with the leak? It does not seem to complicated to replace it.

The complicated part is keeping the seal in place as you put the two thermostat housing halves back together as the thermostat wants to spring out just a bit. That is where the putty knife comes into play
Dynomite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018   #6
Wigert

Thanks for the additional input A26B! The hose connected to the radiator seems also to be leaking slightly. I have already done the paper towel test and there was not so much coolant on the paper even though plenty of drops from the bottom of the housing. I will by some hoses from Jerry's gaskets as well.

I also tried tightening the clamp without success...

Last edited by Wigert; 03-15-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2018   #7
RussMcB

Call your local auto parts stores (chain) and borrow a Stant Cooling System Pressure Tester. It will show you exactly where your leak is. No guessing.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018   #8
Wigert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Call your local auto parts stores (chain) and borrow a Stant Cooling System Pressure Tester. It will show you exactly where your leak is. No guessing.
Thanks for the tip! I will see if the local show has one of those.

Old 03-15-2018   #9
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Good idea, but not sure they do that in Sweden.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #10
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Good idea, but not sure they do that in Sweden.
H
(forgive me if I've posted this before - I probably have...) I bought mine 20 years ago for < $100 and it has been a great investment. I use it often, and often lend it out. Sometimes you need to buy an adapter if your radiator cap isn't "regular ole American" (like my Miata). On my race car, whenever I've done stuff with the cooling system, I check if it holds pressure, It always tells me if something's not tight. It's great to find problems in the garage rather than away from home.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote