ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-02-2006   #1
BBBAD94ZR1

Thumbs up Paint care for your Z.

The best product is the 3m perfect it #3 cleaner clay part#38070.
For best results get some good quailty car wash/water and use to keep the clay wet.
Do this in the shade as well, use it on your glass also. It will shine like a new diamond. As you clean the car look at the clay for dirt and make sure you flip it over from time to time. The clay will conform to the angles you rub. When done get yourself some good polish not wax. I use 3m perfect it polish or liquid glass it has no wax. My car shines like a gem. Try it you will like it. Do this every 3 to 6 months. Your paint will love it and so will you. Let me know your results.
Ray

Last edited by BBBAD94ZR1; 03-02-2006 at 12:13 PM.
BBBAD94ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #2
91King

Default Re: Paint care for your Z.

I agree with you on use of Liquid Glass. I have been using it on my cars for over 20 years and have stuck with it as I have always received compliments on my cars' finishes.

Over the years I have tried other products from time to time, but I have always come back to Liquid Glass.
91 red/red #1813
EES 402
91King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Is Liquid Glass better than Zaino that I have been hearing about?

Thanks,
Craig
Old 03-03-2006   #4
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR1
Is Liquid Glass better than Zaino that I have been hearing about?

Thanks,
Craig
It is very subjective. For people who love a mirror finish, properly applied Zaino is hard to beat. Others who prefer a deep rich luster will go with a refined Carnauba wax like Pinnacle Souveran.

Liquid Glass is a synthetic polymer like Zaino only less expensive, and readily available. I have never compared the two, but if you were to prep the paint the same way before hand, you should be happy with either one.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Z Factor,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully someday I will have the opportunity to see a Zaino maintained car to make a determination of how great it is. I was hesitant due to reading about putting many applications and I'm not into doing it more than twice in one session. I remember using Liquid Glass way, way back and I don't remember it leaving a lasting impression on me. I forget what I am using now but it is a German product and I really like it but not sure if my paint could look better.
Old 03-03-2006   #6
BBBAD94ZR1

I agree with Z factor however I do not use wax. Never have. I do car resto's and wax after a period of 10 years causes paint issues, peeling,crows feet etc. Paint expands and contacts with heat, cold and temp changes. Some waxes inhibit this causing issues. This is also true with fiberglass. It is cured but has the same tendencies Talk to any old timer who has an orig. 60 or 70's car with orig. paint and 95% of the will back this up NO WAX. I also feel this is why there are delamination issues the our winsheilds. Whatever adhesive was used is failing due to temp/climate/uv rays.
Just my 2 cents.
RAY
Old 03-03-2006   #7
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR1
Hopefully someday I will have the opportunity to see a Zaino maintained car to make a determination of how great it is. I was hesitant due to reading about putting many applications and I'm not into doing it more than twice in one session.
One of the reasons Zaino cars always look so good is because people pay a premium for it, and therefore follow the directions to the tee. They do all the prep work, which is probably 80% of what makes the paint look great. If you prep a car properly, most any car will look good no matter what you use. That said, Zaino does have one of the best mirror like finishes I've seen. The people that don't like it say it looks like the paint is wrapped in Saran wrap. One friend cant stand the look on his Porsche, but he also loathes wax, so instead he uses Blackfire which he feels gives him the best look of the two. In theory, it adds depth and luster, yet lasts a long time because it is a synthetic polymer. So in reality it all comes down to ones taste.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #8
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBAD94ZR1
I agree with Z factor however I do not use wax. Never have. I do car resto's and wax after a period of 10 years causes paint issues, peeling,crows feet etc. Paint expands and contacts with heat, cold and temp changes. Some waxes inhibit this causing issues. This is also true with fiberglass. It is cured but has the same tendencies Talk to any old timer who has an orig. 60 or 70's car with orig. paint and 95% of the will back this up NO WAX. I also feel this is why there are delamination issues the our winsheilds. Whatever adhesive was used is failing due to temp/climate/uv rays.
Just my 2 cents.
RAY
To each their own, but I would just point out there are people who've used wax for years and never had problems.

Wax expands and contracts with heat too. As does just about any solid or liquid known to man. And wax would have to have one heck of a strong bond to actually hold together under expanding paint and crack it. You'd mentioned once about "breathing". Rather than argue that, I'd point out that an acrylic product like Liquid Glass, or a polymer like Zaino, would also inhibit this "breathing" as they seal the paint.

The whole point of a protective product is to seal the paint. If the paint is protected from oxygen in the air, it will have a much harder time oxidizing. And waxes or sealants help keep environmental contaminents off the paint, at least for a short time until you remove the contaminent. Some also help to reduce the UV that hits the paint.

I would ask what evidence you found that the peelign paint, crows feet, etc were caused by wax, though? How do you know the crows feet weren't from too thick a film of paint, too little flex agent, a body panel that flexs too much, etc? Or the peeling from improper prep? How can you look at failed 10 year old paint and conclusively say what caused it to fail?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there are plenty of people (more than 5% of "old timers") who have used waxes for years with no problems. Considering there are several big companies that have made wax products for over 50 years, I'd guess that they'd be out of business if 95% of the detailing population from 1960 and beyond feels they will ruin paint.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #9
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor
One of the reasons Zaino cars always look so good is because people pay a premium for it, and therefore follow the directions to the tee. They do all the prep work, which is probably 80% of what makes the paint look great. If you prep a car properly, most any car will look good no matter what you use. That said, Zaino does have one of the best mirror like finishes I've seen. The people that don't like it say it looks like the paint is wrapped in Saran wrap. One friend cant stand the look on his Porsche, but he also loathes wax, so instead he uses Blackfire which he feels gives him the best look of the two. In theory, it adds depth and luster, yet lasts a long time because it is a synthetic polymer. So in reality it all comes down to ones taste.

I'd agree 100%. Looks are very subjective, and can vary on the color/car/etc too. But with prep, any product will look pretty dang good.

With Liquid Glass vs Zaino, though, one difference I'd point out is I *believe* Liquid Glass has some cleaning ability to it, which would make it better to use on a car that isn't prepped as well.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #10
BBBAD94ZR1

To each their own, but I would just point out there are people who've used wax for years and never had problems.

Wax expands and contracts with heat too. As does just about any solid or liquid known to man. And wax would have to have one heck of a strong bond to actually hold together under expanding paint and crack it. You'd mentioned once about "breathing". Rather than argue that, I'd point out that an acrylic product like Liquid Glass, or a polymer like Zaino, would also inhibit this "breathing" as they seal the paint.

The whole point of a protective product is to seal the paint. If the paint is protected from oxygen in the air, it will have a much harder time oxidizing. And waxes or sealants help keep environmental contaminents off the paint, at least for a short time until you remove the contaminent. Some also help to reduce the UV that hits the paint.

I would ask what evidence you found that the peelign paint, crows feet, etc were caused by wax, though? How do you know the crows feet weren't from too thick a film of paint, too little flex agent, a body panel that flexs too much, etc? Or the peeling from improper prep? How can you look at failed 10 year old paint and conclusively say what caused it to fail?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there are plenty of people (more than 5% of "old timers") who have used waxes for years with no problems. Considering there are several big companies that have made wax products for over 50 years, I'd guess that they'd be out of business if 95% of the detailing population from 1960 and beyond feels they will ruin paint.__________________
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2517 Hear it!

Well Im going to close with this. USE WAX!
Pleace.........
Ray