ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-15-2003   #1
Anonymous

Default Which would you get ?

I have a chance at getting one of these Zr-1's and was wondering whether or not I would be able to buy a Factory crate Lt-5 or would I have to look around to find a wrecked 'vette with the engine I am looking for. So if you had a choice between a LT-5, LT-4, or a big-block C3....which would you choose ?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003   #2
Anonymous

Patton

Get in touch with a Bryan Wadsworth, Im pretty sure he'll have a nice deal on a salvaged LT-5 pretty soon now.
Old 12-15-2003   #3
Anonymous

Z Factor

|
Quote:
Quote: from vetteheaven on 9:16 am on Oct. 20, 2003[br] I have a chance at getting one of these Zr-1's and was wondering whether or not I would be able to buy a Factory crate Lt-5 or would I have to look around to find a wrecked 'vette with the engine I am looking for. So if you had a choice between a LT-5, LT-4, or a big-block C3....which would you choose ?
Well first of all, hello and welcome.Second, if you are suggesting that you will buy a ZR-1 without a motor, and need to decide what motor to put into it, there is no choice. Anything other than a LT-5 will make your shell no longer a ZR-1. You may as well buy a regular Corvette, and place fake ZR-1 badges on it to save some money. Anything other than a LT-5 motor would be a waste to put into a ZR-1, and should be considered sacrilege!
Old 12-15-2003   #4
Anonymous

No, The reason I was wondering about parts later on is that I would be using this as a daily driver. And am wondering if the motor goes bad on me in about 100-150,000 miles....will I be able to find a replacement motor ? Or should I just get me a 1996 lt-4 and not get a zr-1 ?Because I am looking for a vehicle with some speed but I dont want the hassles of having to look for replacement parts that gm doesn't make anymore.
Old 12-15-2003   #5
Anonymous

You'll always be able to find an engine, maybe used but the need for an entire LT5 engine is rare.
Old 12-15-2003   #6
Anonymous

Patton

Well, in my humble opinion if you dont want to bother looking for parts ever in the future then sadly the ZR-1 is not your car, hell the LT4 isnt even your car, with a one year production run, thats not up your ally. I would say go with an early c-5 or a 95 c4. (LT1-LS1) But if you do manage to muster up the nuts to get one,... you'll be really cool and the big kids wont pick on you anymore!!! So stop being a wuss and just get one. finding parts is easier with all the nut jobs in here and at other web sites to help you out.My only, dare i say, "complaint" about the ZR-1 is that because of its eliteness not many aftermarket performance upgrades are readily available for it, and if you do find anything you gotta sell grandpas farm and a kidney on the black market just to afford it. But saying that isnt very fair since you'd have to do the same to a normal c4 just to get it on par with the mighty Z. Then to get it above that you'd be paying what you would if you had the Z in the first place.... So never f*#%ing mind everything I just wrote!! I just want 600 naturally aspirated horses pulling my chariot is that too much to ask? Im rambling, good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-15-2003   #7
Anonymous

I like to work on my vehicles myself. I dont like sending them places to get worked on. Is the lt-5 an engine that needs a lot of maintanence ? Can you improve on performance with just exhaust ?just curious
Old 12-15-2003   #8
Anonymous

Patton

Oh I love working on my vehicles as well but the LT-5?? Good luck, Its a little complex. wouldnt be suprised if there are some college courses somewhere on it.Maintenance? The LT-5 is bulletproof, it can take a serious beating and keep on tickin. But because of its highly technical nature there are some things that need maintanence now and then... not necessarily replacing parts, but maintenance all the same, hoses and relays that sort of thing.Yes, you can get about 5-15 horsies just from exhaust alone... I heard its not so much the muffler since the Zs is already very high flow, but an X pipe that makes a big differance. As for tone, thats all you!
Old 12-15-2003   #9
Anonymous

Quote'But an X pipe that makes a big differance'Thanks for the tip Patton,looks like a 3" B&B ,scooped out mufflers and an Xpipe for me.Trouble is i can only find the 'Cat Backs' and i need them from the headers back,,,i can get away without the Cats this side of the 'pond'
Old 12-15-2003   #10
Anonymous

Patton

Brit415 Posted on 8:50 pm on Oct. 23, 2003 "i can get away without the Cats this side of the 'pond'"You lucky bastard,... Im radioactive green with envy. I honestly dont know what that does to HP, but the sound --- Ooohhhh it sounds so beautiful, Ive heard it before. You are gonna **** yourself the first time you hear it... email a sound bite from it PLEASE.