ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-12-2019   #1
wilcoxvette

Default New Owner New Problems- Don't know where to start - UPDATE

**** UPDATE***** See Post #35

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new owner of a 1991 Zr-1.

I'm having a issue that needs to be sorted and I'm not sure where to start because I don't have a lot of info on previous owners history.

What I do know:

The car was sent to lingenfelter in 1995 for a 368cid upgrade.
Back to Lingenfelter in 1999 for suspension, brakes, wheels (Fiske FM5 17")

Thats literally all I know. ha ha

What need addressed:

Light Blue smoke - I'm getting a slight blue haze at WOT consistently. Does not smoke on start up or casually driving at all. Looks like oil is slightly over filled. Just picked up the car saturday so I'm monitoring the oil level closely.

I assume Lingenfelter tuned the car (of course) I bring this up because there are notes in documents about Doug Rippie. I don't have any documents just a handwritten note. Possible Doug did a tune on this car? - Don't know why if lingenfelter did the work... Maybe that's normal, I know Doug has a great reputation.

Car pulls hard left on acceleration - getting alignment and new tires this week to start. Will see where that takes me.

That's it for now. I really like the car and I bought it assuming the valve seals need to be replaced. Seller was not a corvette guy and not very helpful, he was just flipping it. I hope to be a good home for it, have always wanted a Zr-1 and really appreciate how awesome they are.

Thanks,

TW

Last edited by wilcoxvette; 10-17-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Update
wilcoxvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019   #2
PhillipsLT5

Default Re: New Owner New Problems- Don't know where to start

Wait 12-24 hour to check oil
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019   #3
Ccmano

First off welcome the the Registry, we hope you’ll stick around for a while. You will find a lot of helpful folks here. Is yours the White one with the red stripe that was recently on EBay? Collectively we’ve seen it all. These engines are known to use oil, particularly under heavy acceleration. A quart in 800- 1000 is not uncommon depending on use. Yours is a 91 that’s been through the Lingenfelter rebuild so I would expect valve stem seals in place. 90’s did not have seals on the exhaust valve guides. They have also been known to suck oil through the PCV system if the PCV valves are stuck. Another area where I have personally seen 3 engines blow oil is loose injector housing bolts and blown lower injector housing gaskets. They will suck oil directly from the crankcase breather galley into the intake from there. Oil smoke is common in this instance. Frankly, guide and ring issues are very uncommon on these cars. If it were mine I would monitor the oil consumption, check the PCV system and check the IH bolts. If bolts are in any way loose replacing the lower IH gaskets is in order.

As for the pulling on acceleration other than general suspension issues I would check the “C” Beam bolts on the trans and diff for looseness. The “C” Beam connects and makes ridged the drive train assembly. Loose bolts are not uncommon and can cause exactly what you report. If loose, invest in “C” Beam plates from ZFDoc.com makes a big difference in rigidity.

I’m sure others will chime in. Have fun getting her sorted. She’ll be a blast to drive.

Oh, and yes, wait at least 3hrs, preferably over night, to check the oil. It’s in the owners manual. Checking any sooner will lead to over fill because you’ll think it’s low when it isn’t.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 08-12-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019   #4
G8nightman

I almost bought this car. Hope you got a good deal on it welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019   #5
wilcoxvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
I almost bought this car. Hope you got a good deal on it welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Yes I feel like I got a decent price on it. I appreciate the help you gave me when you responded to my pm on corvetteforum. I couldnt stop thinking about this car and decided to go take a look. I was able to get a little more off his bottom dollar and felt it was worth it to me because of the lingenfelter package. You were spot on about everything you saw and it definetly needs a little love. Im hoping to be able to remove the red stripe and a few other improvements. The good news is it goes like stink and I love driving it!

Looking forward to the help from this community. Ive had a few corvettes and I keep coming back to a ZR-1. So glad to finally own one!
Old 08-12-2019   #6
Karl

The ZR-1 sucks down oil and your best bet is to properly install a oil catch can.

I believe most of the carbon buildup happens because of the oil usage.

I am on my second Z and both have had a catch can and both catch lots of oil.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019   #7
efnfast

These motors seem to tear through the top quart of oil, once it's down a quart, usage seems to slow way down. Don't forget, there are 12 quarts of oil in the system, so being down 1 isn't real bad.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019   #8
wilcoxvette

Thanks all for the info.

New Twist - hood latch inside broke this am when I went to check oil. Ordered tool to open hood and need to work on hood latch.

I'll have it sorted soon enough!
Old 08-13-2019   #9
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Wait 12-24 hour to check oil
You must make certain that it is not overfilled before doing anything else.
Every post in the thread is correct.
If your level is spot on, and it only happens lightly on WOT, stop looking in the mirror.
You might want to check the plugs.
If none are oil soaked or fouled, which is quite likely what you will find, then I would stop worrying about it.
These motors are not like your SBC ones that have common oil consumption
issues.
You are surely taking it to 7k plus and if the oil is overfilled or even full, a little smoke that then disappears should almost be expected.
Let us know about the level.
Thanks,
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019   #10
wilcoxvette

Will do. I took it to 7k rpm once. When I have seen blue haze I have quit immediately. This is all great info. I will report back with oil level in the next few days when I get the hood open.