ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-09-2006   #1
Rick Johnston

Location: Columbus, Mississippi - small town in northeast Mississippi
Default Secondary Induction System Woes

Gentlemen,

My 91 ZRI (116,XXX miles) has a problem with the secondary induction system and I am hoping someone can shed some light on how best to troubleshoot it.

Whenever the secondary butterflies are supposed to open all I get is sputtering and intermittent firing instead of that good old familiar ZR-1 get-up-and-go!

Taking my ZR1 to the local Chevy dealer is a joke as all I get is shrugs and blanks looks and then they say they don't have anyone trained to work on ZR-1's.

What I am looking for is a fairly straight-forward method to troubleshoot the system without haphazardly replacing all the components in the secondary induction system vacuum actuation system and the secondary fuel delivery and injections system.

Any Help?

Rick Johnston
Rick Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
Jeffvette

Default Re: Secondary Induction System Woes

Rick, first and easiest step is to check fuel pressure.

Get a gauge and monitor it while driving, and then go WOT and see what the pressure does.

My guess is that you've lost the injectors.

BTW, how are things in Columbus. I haven't been over in that neck of the woods since I left Ole Miss.
Old 01-09-2006   #3
RICHARD TILL

Hey Rick Johnston. I`m about 100 miles north of you in Iuka. I`d like to see your car and talk to another Z owner in person. Mines a 90 model red/red. I`ve never seen another Z except at the museum. Maybe we could meet halfway (Tupelo) sometime and shoot the bull about cars? Do you know of any other Z`s in your area?.........Richard.........
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #4
Rick Johnston

Thanks for the advice on how to get started troubleshooting this problem! Where is the best place to hook-up a fuel pressure gauge? I have been accumulating parts to rebuild the secondary induction vacuum system. I hope I haven't lost the secondary fuel pump or the secondary injectors.

I moved here to Columbus about 2.5 years ago. We really like it here and enjoy the lifestyle. My wife is finishing up her masters in Geosciences at MSU (too bad about that football game this season!) and she hopes to begin teaching there as soon as this summer.

Rick
Old 01-16-2006   #5
Rick Johnston

Richard,

My Z is a 1991 model in white with a gray interior. I have quite a few miles on it (116,xxx). I recently repainted it wiht the same color and I am trying to work through the problems with the secondary induction system which is stealing most of my ZR1 fun factor!

I would like to meet you and see your car. Maybe we could meet in Tupelo for a bite to eat on a weekend. I have not seen another Z in this neck of the woods although I have only recently moved to Columbus (August 2003).

Rick Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL
Hey Rick Johnston. I`m about 100 miles north of you in Iuka. I`d like to see your car and talk to another Z owner in person. Mines a 90 model red/red. I`ve never seen another Z except at the museum. Maybe we could meet halfway (Tupelo) sometime and shoot the bull about cars? Do you know of any other Z`s in your area?.........Richard.........
Old 01-16-2006   #6
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston
Thanks for the advice on how to get started troubleshooting this problem! Where is the best place to hook-up a fuel pressure gauge?
On the end of the passenger side fuel rail at the front of the motor, you'll see a little metal cap over a schrader valve. You can attach a gauge there.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #7
Rick Johnston

Thanks! Appreciate the info!

Rick Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40
On the end of the passenger side fuel rail at the front of the motor, you'll see a little metal cap over a schrader valve. You can attach a gauge there.
Old 01-16-2006   #8
RICHARD TILL

Rick, Looking forward to meeting you. You`ll be the first Z owner i`ve ever met in person. I`m home usually after 6 in the evening and off weekends. 662-423-5070 .........Richard........
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote