ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-29-2016   #1
dredgeguy

Default Gatlinburg fire in the Smokey's

Gunny hope all is well with you. I see the Park Vista hotel that we stayed at during the last Mountain Run was lost today. Thoughts and prayers for all

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #2
RussMcB

Default Re: Gatlinburg fire in the Smokey's

Wow. I heard about Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge being evacuated. Didn't think about the Park Vista.

This short video shows where we had dinner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1enWie239o
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #3
Gunny

All is well (for the most part). We were in Rabun County most of last week where several hundred firefighters have been trying to contain a major blaze covering a good portion of the county as well as a good portion into North Carolina. It's raining there now so that should bring some relief.

We were also in the area during the first week of Nov. The fires were already starting at that time with a large one just north of Dry Falls outside of Highlands (where we had lunch last year). The large fire west of Franklin was out of control and is the one that that connected with the Rabun County fires in N. Georgia.

Smoke has been a problem for residents but we only experienced breathing issues the last day before returning home.

I took a number of photos but none up close & personal ... actually, I didn't have any desire to be any closer to the action. Here are a couple.

Rabun County Fire viewed from Popcorn Overlook on US-76 west of Clayton - Fri. PM 11/25/16. Center of fire approx 8 miles north of where photo was taken. There are no roads in this area - firefighters had to hike in & carry all their equipment. Rough conditions. We stopped at this location on Day 2 of Mountain Run 2.

NW view from Sky Valley Overlook taken Sat. AM 11/26/16. Most of the right side of the pic is in NC and the left portion is in GA. I think we stopped at this overlook in MR1 & MR2 - it's just below my house when driving down to the valley. Photo taken about 5-6 miles away from the fire.
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #4
ZR1North

Happy to see you're ok, Gunny. Great shots as always.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #5
FU

Hope that rain helps out a bit and give you the needed relief .

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #6
Ami Workman

I am hearing it is raining today. Has it helped? Glad to know you and your wife are ok, Gunny!
Ami Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #7
Roadster

Hope everyone in the outlying areas is safe, sad pics to see....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #8
Gunny

According to news reports the rain has helped, allowing workers better access to all the affected areas. It's my understanding that there were several deaths related to the fires but also some rescue stories of survivors.

We are tentatively planning on returning to the mountains in a couple of weeks and if the roads have opened back up by that time we may attempt to drive to Gatlinburg to survey the damage.

I already had plans underway for MR5 that did include the Gatlinburg area but those plans will likely need to be adjusted accordingly. MR5 is still in the works and should be better than ever, but I suspect we won't have dinner at the Park Vista.
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016   #9
Ami Workman

Well, they have arrested and charged two teens from this horrible tragedy and depending on all the charges, will likely be charged as adults...14 deaths, the last I had heard...

Last edited by Ami Workman; 12-08-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Ami Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016   #10
haber rj

Wow what a tragedy we were in Nashville 2 weeks and heard about this it's a shame, sure hope that the people that are affected are ok very sorry to the families who lost love ones.
haber rj is offline   Reply With Quote