ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 03-03-2014   #1
XfireZ51

Default Couple of White ZRs sold at R&S

http://www.russoandsteele.com/past-c...ette-ZR1/66882
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #2
csavaglio

Default Re: Couple of White ZRs sold at R&S

Do you need an account to see the final price? I looked at 1991 0959 and it was rough, to say the least. Low mileage but highly neglected. Paint was very scuffed like it had a cover on outside in the sandy wind, leather was cracked and chipped, glove box door warped, secondaries non functional, rough running engine, tires worn out, sport seats didn't work right, Bose system squealing and with static, and it gave the impression that it had sat outside its whole life in Phoenix. There was a list of other things as well. I passed on the car at 8k plus my extremely nice, low mileage LT4 Collector Edition as trade. I'm curious what it went for. He's had it up on eBay, CL, etc for prices that ranged from $18k to $23.5k and seemed to be using the "raise the price until it sells" technique. Hopefully they whoever got it, if it sold, tested everything and didn't get ripped off. I was told the car "looked, ran, and drove like new."

Needless to say, after driving 400 miles coming off a night shift to look at the car, I was pretty unhappy with the seller.
Chris
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #3
csavaglio

Looks like it sold for $21k. Looking at the pics, it looks like they addressed the cleanliness issues...when I looked at it, the engine bay was filthy and the white paint looked beige.

When I tallied up all that was wrong, there was between $3k and $7k worth of repair work depending on what a things were actually wrong...for example, the secondaries not working could be as simple as a leaking vacuum line or as costly as as all the under plenum stuff. I hope the buyer knows what he's in for on that car or that they fixed most of the issues. I know they didn't replace the seats. The same dime sized chip is there in the bolster.
Old 03-04-2014   #4
Franke

Chris, if it sold for 21K with all that then my price of 18K was way too low.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #5
csavaglio

It makes me feel way, way better about what I paid for my steel blue car. Higher mileage, but much, much nicer. That car had 17k miles and mine had 48k, but considering the dealer I got mine from was willing to give 14k for my trade and the Scottsdale one was only willing to give me 10k, I essentially only paid pretty much the same.

I don't know what RS charges the seller for fees, but I suspect he probably didn't take a whole lot more than $18k.

That car was advertised on CL for a while at $17,900. You have to figure something's wrong with a ZR-1 if one with 17k miles sits around at under $18k.
Old 03-04-2014   #6
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csavaglio View Post
Do you need an account to see the final price? I looked at 1991 0959 and it was rough, to say the least. Low mileage but highly neglected. Paint was very scuffed like it had a cover on outside in the sandy wind, leather was cracked and chipped, glove box door warped, secondaries non functional, rough running engine, tires worn out, sport seats didn't work right, Bose system squealing and with static, and it gave the impression that it had sat outside its whole life in Phoenix. There was a list of other things as well. I passed on the car at 8k plus my extremely nice, low mileage LT4 Collector Edition as trade. I'm curious what it went for. He's had it up on eBay, CL, etc for prices that ranged from $18k to $23.5k and seemed to be using the "raise the price until it sells" technique. Hopefully they whoever got it, if it sold, tested everything and didn't get ripped off. I was told the car "looked, ran, and drove like new."

Needless to say, after driving 400 miles coming off a night shift to look at the car, I was pretty unhappy with the seller.
Chris
Was this car white on gray, by any chance? Van Chevy in Scottsdale had a 1991 Z several months ago with this sort of mileage that they were selling for about 18K. Took everything I had not to go buy it. Looked great in the pics but I figured there had to be something wrong for that price. Gotta be the same car...
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #7
csavaglio

Yes, that's the one. I drove 400 miles to buy it, looked it over and test drove it, spent a bit of time getting talked down to by the dealer when I disagreed about the condition, then turned around and drove home.
Old 03-05-2014   #8
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csavaglio View Post
Yes, that's the one. I drove 400 miles to buy it, looked it over and test drove it, spent a bit of time getting talked down to by the dealer when I disagreed about the condition, then turned around and drove home.
Sorry you had to go through that. Van Tuyl dealerships don't have a wonderful reputation; this treatment could be an isolated incident, or it could be part of the reason. Like I said, I figured it had to be a badly neglected Z for that price.

Looks like everything worked out, though: you got a Steel Blue Z! SCORE!!

Cheers!
Chris
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #9
csavaglio

Yeah, I'm much happier with the SB car. It looks like more money on paper, but since they gave me almost 50% more in trade value off the CE, it evened it out quite a bit.

I've heard the same thing about Van Chevrolet. I think they figured I'd driven that far, I'd buy the car regardless. They were very proud of their car, despite having obvious issues that even a non-vette guy would see right off and bad mouthed my (nearly perfect) LT4 CE.

They had the nerve to call me a month or two later saying they had a car come in I might be interested in.....I couldn't believe it. I didn't exactly make my feelings towards them a secret when I left.

At least I've got friends and family in Phoenix, so, even though the trip was quick....I was shooting between 2 mid shifts with just one night off in between), it wasn't a total waste.

Chris