ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-28-2021   #1
Prez1967

Default Leaky Steering rack. Tips on removing?

Tearing into my 1994 Z and I have a leaky/greasy steering rack.

Anyone have a write up on how to get it out of there? LOL

Any tips would be appreciated.
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: Leaky Steering rack. Tips on removing?

Check Dynomite's sticky "Solutions" at the top of this section. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021   #3
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Check Dynomite's sticky "Solutions" at the top of this section. --Bob
All it has is:

STEERING
Power Steering Pump Repair Kit
Replacing Power Steering Pump TIPS
Make Your Own Power Steering Lines TIPS
Sources of Fittings for Power Steering Lines TIPS
Loose steering column TIPS
Dimmer Switch TIPS
Replacing tie rods
Tie rod dust boots
Rubber bushing kit
Tilt Steering column wobbling
Removing air bag
TurnOne

Nothing on removing entire rack.`
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 02-28-2021   #4
Ccmano

R&R of the rack is fairly straightforward with some pain in the a$$ aspects to it. Going from underneath after removing the tires and getting the front end in the air you remove the power steering cooler and the sway bar completely. Then disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles. The first tricky part is disconnecting the power steering hoses from the rack. It's a combination of access from the bottom and from the top. Be prepared to take your time and curse a lot. Next the mounting bolts for the rack have the bolts going in from the bottom with nuts on the top. Access to those nuts is also tricky, using a combination of long extensions and jointed sockets from the top on the passenger side and blind placement of box end wrenches underneath on the driver side. Once the bolts are out you slide the rack out from either side. Be sure to replace both the rack mounting bushings and tie rod ends with the rebuild. I count the number of turns each tie rod end is screwed on to the tie rod and note it. That way you can screw the new ones on the same number of turns be in the ballpark on the alignment toe in when it goes back together. Reassembly is in reverse with the same minor challenges.

Will you be rebuilding the rack yourself, sending it out for rebuilding (Turn One, excellent rebuilder but expensive) or will you get an exchange rebuilt rack?
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021   #5
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
R&R of the rack is fairly straightforward with some pain in the a$$ aspects to it. Going from underneath after removing the tires and getting the front end in the air you remove the power steering cooler and the sway bar completely. Then disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles. The first tricky part is disconnecting the power steering hoses from the rack. It's a combination of access from the bottom and from the top. Be prepared to take your time and curse a lot. Next the mounting bolts for the rack have the bolts going in from the bottom with nuts on the top. Access to those nuts is also tricky, using a combination of long extensions and jointed sockets from the top on the passenger side and blind placement of box end wrenches underneath on the driver side. Once the bolts are out you slide the rack out from either side. Be sure to replace both the rack mounting bushings and tie rod ends with the rebuild. I count the number of turns each tie rod end is screwed on to the tie rod and note it. That way you can screw the new ones on the same number of turns be in the ballpark on the alignment toe in when it goes back together. Reassembly is in reverse with the same minor challenges.

Will you be rebuilding the rack yourself, sending it out for rebuilding (Turn One, excellent rebuilder but expensive) or will you get an exchange rebuilt rack?
H
Thanks!!!

Im planning on sending the rack to TurnOne and springing for the expedited service depending on what lead time they quote me.

I figured the sway bar would have to come out. Looking for fresh sway bar bushings but I only see 24mm bushings available and if I read correctly our bars are 26mm?
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 02-28-2021   #6
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez1967 View Post
Thanks!!!

Im planning on sending the rack to TurnOne and springing for the expedited service depending on what lead time they quote me.

I figured the sway bar would have to come out. Looking for fresh sway bar bushings but I only see 24mm bushings available and if I read correctly our bars are 26mm?
Try here:

https://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/71152
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021   #7
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Ordered front/rear sway bar bushings and steering rack kit!

Now to wait 5-8 weeks lol
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 02-28-2021   #8
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez1967 View Post
Ordered front/rear sway bar bushings and steering rack kit!

Now to wait 5-8 weeks lol
Well the silver lining could be now is a good time to put the Z up on jack stands and get the rack out and to Turn One. Turn One?s site states 3 to 4 weeks until you get your rack back but I think when I had one done by them for another Vette, it took two weeks from them getting it to actually calling me to tell me it was done. Paying for the expedited service might get it done sooner but it could only end up taking a few weeks anyway. A bit of a dice roll.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021   #9
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Well the silver lining could be now is a good time to put the Z up on jack stands and get the rack out and to Turn One. Turn One?s site states 3 to 4 weeks until you get your rack back but I think when I had one done by them for another Vette, it took two weeks from them getting it to actually calling me to tell me it was done. Paying for the expedited service might get it done sooner but it could only end up taking a few weeks anyway. A bit of a dice roll.
One step ahead of ya ;-)

Major suspension overhaul in progress, documenting it in my ownership thready

1994 #353 "Bluey"