ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Mid-Atlantic Region

Old 01-14-2013   #1
LilRedCorvette

Exclamation [VA] Single License Plate Bill up again...

There's pending legislation sitting with the Committee on Transportation suggestion that Virginia move back to only having one plate on each vehicle.

Not only will this remove the ugly front plate from our vehicles, it will save ten of millions of waste over the next decade alone.

SB 771 License plates; display of a single plate on registered vehicles.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+ful+SB771+pdf
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+SB771F122+PDF

Taken from another forum:

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT: THE CAR HOBBY NEEDS YOUR HELP

Bill to Provide for Single License Plate Introduced in Virginia Legislature

Virginia legislation (S.B. 771) prefiled in the legislature for 2013 proposes to reduce the number of license plates furnished by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to registered motor vehicles. Under the bill, favored by state hobbyists, the DMV would issue only one license plate (rather than two) and require the single plate to be attached to the rear of the vehicle.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately to Request Support for S.B. 771

S.B. 771 would apply to every registered motor vehicle, semitrailer or trailer, including hobby cars such as antique, reconstructed and replica vehicles.

S.B. 771 would protect the aesthetic contours of collector cars and relieve vehicle owners of the burden of having to create mounting holes on fabricated bumpers, etc.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Virginia Senate Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support for S.B. 771.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Virginia Senate Transportation Committee
To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:
district23@senate.virginia.gov; district05@senate.virginia.gov; district16@senate.virginia.gov; district10@senate.virginia.gov; district38@senate.virginia.gov; district07@senate.virginia.gov; district14@senate.virginia.gov; district25@senate.virginia.gov; district04@senate.virginia.gov; district19@senate.virginia.gov; district37@senate.virginia.gov; district08@senate.virginia.gov; district29@senate.virginia.gov; district40@senate.virginia.gov; district31@senate.virginia.gov

Committee Member Contact Info:

Senator Stephen Newman (Chair)
Phone: 804-698-7523
Email: district23@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Yvonne B. Miller
Phone: 804-698-7505
Email: district05@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Henry L. Marsh III
Phone: 804-698-7516
Email: district16@senate.virginia.gov

Senator John Watkins
Phone: 804-698-7510
Email: district10@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Phillip Puckett
Phone: 804-698-7538
Email: district38@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Frank Wagner
Phone: 804-698-7507
Email: district07@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Harry Blevins
Phone: 804-698-7514
Email: district14@senate.virginia.gov

Senator R. Creigh Deeds
Phone: 804-698-7525
Email: district25@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Ryan McDougle
Phone: 804-698-7504
Email: district04@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Ralph Smith
Phone: 804-698-7519
Email: district19@senate.virginia.gov

Senator David Marsden
Phone: 804-698-7537
Email: district37@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Jeffry McWaters
Phone: 804-698-7508
Email: district08@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Charles Colgan
Phone: 804-698-7529
Email: district29@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Charles Carrico Sr.
Phone: 804-698-7540
Email: district40@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Barbara Favola
Phone: 804-698-7531
Email: district31@senate.virginia.gov
2020 Black M240i Coupe - AutoX
LilRedCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: [VA] Single License Plate Bill up again...

When I first moved (1976) to Virginia I carried my front tag in the car "on the floor" and drove through maybe five or so traffic checks receiving only a comment regarding it. Never a warning to install or even a hint of a citation.

On 29 west of Warrenton one Saturday (1980/81) I was headed east quite fast and a I saw a trooper headed west and it looked to me like he intended to do a u-turn and pursue. I was certainly speeding. He did! As soon as I spotted him in the mirror there was a wide shoulder so I pulled off. His reason for doing the u-turn and pursue was the lack of a front tag, no comment on the speed. This was an older trooper and in the conversation he mentioned that in his early years on the force that maybe something in the vicinity of 30% of the single tagged vehicles they saw were thefts or stolen tags. It was a valuable tool in recovery and prosecution. Is it?

He asked if I had one, I showed it and tag hardware. He suggested I consider mounting it. I had registration, insurance card and all was well.

I had just done a rear gear change and had not done the speedometer calibration yet and I asked if he had clocked me. He hadn't. I asked if he could pace me back to Warrenton and he mention not actually but he said: I need to drive the speed limit also! I followed him to Warrenton at the speed limit I assumed, he waved and went south, a week later I did the speedometer calibration based on that days pace and some measured miles. They were spot on.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #3
Aurora40

Thanks for the heads up, email sent! However, I think this has come up many times in VA in the past and never gotten anywhere. But hopefully this time!

Dave, those times have changed. I've gotten several tickets for no front plate, enough that I finally bought a bracket for the CTS. Fortunately I found one that mounts to the mesh grill, and didn't have to drill the bumper. Still pretty ugly though!
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #4
LilRedCorvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, email sent! However, I think this has come up many times in VA in the past and never gotten anywhere. But hopefully this time!
You are correct, it has come up many times, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. As voters we need to voice our opinions when it comes to laws we want/don't want.

Each year we've been getting more votes in our favor...
Old 01-25-2013   #5
LilRedCorvette

Thumbs down Re: [VA] Single License Plate Bill up again...

UPDATE
Virginia Bill to Provide for Single License Plate Pulled From Committee Consideration
Pressured by opposition from the state’s law enforcement community, Virginia legislation (S.B. 771) to reduce from two to one the number of license plates furnished by the DMV to registered motor vehicles was pulled from consideration by the bill’s sponsor. Under the bill, favored by state hobbyists, the DMV would have required the single plate to be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The bill was stricken by a unanimous vote of the Senate Transportation Committee and is unlikely to return this session. Thank you to all who participated in supporting this bill.
Old 01-28-2013   #6
mgg

Was heading down 95 south on Sunday to visit a friend in Williamsburg. I was cruising in my friends brand new CTSV wagon. Two old guys, brand new car, going the speed limit, middle lane in traffic. Drive buy a state trooper parked in the median. Trooper pulls out and I said to my friend this *** wipe is going to pull you over for no front tag. Sure enough he did. NOt only is it creating a dangerous situation by pulling someone over in heavy traffic off of a major highway, but then to have to merge back on into 70 mph traffice from a standstill. The most RIDICULOUS thing ever. I do not have front tag on my CTS-V and have been pulled over for it. I told the cop , there is no where to mount it without screwing up the front and there is NO WAY one is going to get mounted. Do your thing pal. I guess if that is the most important thing they have to enforce then everything must be peachy. Screw those jack-offs. It is soley for producing revenue.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013   #7
LilRedCorvette

Angry Re: [VA] Single License Plate Bill up again...

I've been pulled over before specifically for the 'no front tag' thing. One time we were all crawling along (~25 mph) in traffic on 66 EB in PW County and I got pointed over by a statie standing on the side of the road.

Price of vette ownership, I guess...