ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-27-2018   #1
Vette Guy

Default Pirelli World Challenge Champs - Black Dog Racing - it all began with his '95 ZR-1

A few of us were fortunate to meet Tony Gaples via the ZR-1 Net Registry as well as ride in some of his insane cars at the Gathering - like his Enzo. For those who don't know Tony, he created Black Dog Racing and is a pro driver in the Pirelli World Challenge Series. Was checking out his latest video, and touched that he gave cudos to fellow ZR-1ers for prompting him to get his ZR-1 on track.... which led to his pro=driving career.

https://youtu.be/gXpUmjnL024?t=402
91 ZR-1 #2016
95 ZR-1 #21 DRM-600, LPE 385
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018   #2
LGAFF

Default Re: Pirelli World Challenge Champs - Black Dog Racing - it all began with his '95 ZR-

He also owns the active suspension ZR-1

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018   #3
WARP TEN

Default Re: Pirelli World Challenge Champs - Black Dog Racing - it all began with his '95 ZR-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
He also owns the active suspension ZR-1

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Last time I visited Tony at his new Black Dog Speed Shop he also had a nice black '95 ZR-1 among his fairly large car collection, as you can see in the video. I remember when he had as many as seven ZR-1s but then he went over to the other side with Ferraris and now of course Camaros, of which he is (not surprisingly) a really big fan and supporter. Tony and Black Dog also support a great car show in the Lake Forest (IL) Market Square in July of each year, which benefits a charity called Skin of Steel in honor of a local car friend who succumbed to melanoma some years ago. For those who are interested, Black Dog is located at 600 Barclay Blvd Lincolnshire, Illinois. Website is http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com. They do a lot of great modifications of Corvettes, Camaros, and other performance cars and the new shop is spectacular as you can see in the video. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 12-27-2018 at 10:20 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018   #4
JThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Last time I visited Tony at his new Black Dog Speed Shop he also had a nice black '95 ZR-1 among his fairly large car collection, as you can see in the video. I remember when he had as many as seven ZR-1s but then he went over to the other side with Ferraris and now of course Camaros, of which he is (not surprisingly) a really big fan and supporter. Tony and Black Dog also support a great car show in the Lake Forest (IL) Market Square in July of each year, which benefits a charity called Skin of Steel in honor of a local car friend who succumbed to melanoma some years ago. For those who are interested, Black Dog is located at 600 Barclay Blvd Lincolnshire, Illinois. Website is http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com. They do a lot of great modifications of Corvettes, Camaros, and other performance cars and the new shop is spectacular as you can see in the video. --Bob
Bob:
Maybe a ZR-1 road trip or event/gathering at his shop could be arranged? Sounds like an interesting place.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #5
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomas View Post
Bob:
Maybe a ZR-1 road trip or event/gathering at his shop could be arranged? Sounds like an interesting place.
Joe, funny you would think of this. I sent Tony an email noting this thread, which he had not seen. He responded and said it would be fun to get a ZR-1 group together for a BBQ sometime. I am sure it depends heavily on his racing schedule but I can ask if he would like to do this and when might work. --Bob
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member
Old 12-28-2018   #6
JThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Joe, funny you would think of this. I sent Tony an email noting this thread, which he had not seen. He responded and said it would be fun to get a ZR-1 group together for a BBQ sometime. I am sure it depends heavily on his racing schedule but I can ask if he would like to do this and when might work. --Bob
Awesome! Scheduling permitting, I would make the drive. I like hanging out with you FBI Guys!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #7
XfireZ51

Bob,

That sounds like a great idea.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018   #8
WARP TEN

I sent him a note saying lots of folks think it would be a good idea. I asked him to look at his calendar and see when might be a good time. I told him about dates for the Bowling Green gathering and estimated Marc Haibeck's normal BBQ date a week or so after that. When I hear back I will post or I will follow up sometime in January with him. Hopefully he will find a time for us to gather there. I haven't seen the new shop yet. We did go over to it once just after he bought the building but it was pretty empty save some of his cars. In the video it really looks great. --Bob
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member