ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-30-2008   #1
LGAFF

Default opinions

As many of you know I just bought the upper end of a LT-5 Motor, wondering opinions on the cams and lifters. If I am going to swap heads, would you keep the lifters and cams or reuse the ones in the exisiting motor? I have a full set of cams/gears lifters. The cams have 40K miles on them, the lifters only 500 miles. The cams and lifters in my car have 20K miles on them.

Any thoughts?

LGAFF
92 ZR1

Another possibility would be to have stock cams reground for more HP.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #2
jonszr1

Default Re: opinions

if it bwere me , i would keep the cam and lifters together . i wouldnt switch holes with the lifters . i might go with your exsisting cams and lifters , but i would make sure to keep the lifter in the same hole it came out of . are these heads ported ?????. if so you will enjoy the results . are you doing the work ? if soisee if you can get someone to give you the magical way to time the cams for best power . its good for 10-15 hp
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #3
LGAFF

sorry, yes they are ported.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 07-31-2008   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Having NO experience w/ regard to LT5s and your question, take it for what it is worth...But, with SBCs, ya keep the lifters with their respective cam lobes, which I imagine you know as well. And, you prolly also know ya can put new lifters on a used cam, but NOT the other way around.

SO! Applying the same reasoning to the LT5, I would suppose you could go with either cam set, as long as you keep the respective lifters together with the cams.

Another option: You could maybe have the other set of cams reground a la "stage-II". (Ask Pete or Marc about it). As long as you're going that far, the opportunity to tweak the cam profile couldn't be better than now. However, I would imagine that would mean new lifters (or perhaps reconditioning the old ones?).

If you don't regrind the spare cams, I guess I'd stay with your existing 20k cams and lifters, assuming no other wear.

And, if it were me, I'd drive over to Marc H's soze he could look over the cams, the chains, etc just for an expert opinion on their relative condition and to spot any issues before reinstalling them. You are going to replace the chain tensioners, no? Just curious.

BTW, are you going to time your cams yourself or have Pete or Marc or ?? do it? (Cam timing process is something I'd like to observe, if I get the chance someday.)

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #5
LGAFF

If I decide to pull the heads, I will pull the motor myself, and install the heads, and then call Pete to time cams. Maybe Pete will do a cam timing seminar for us. Pete is a talented guy when it comes to Zs, I know he has some top secret tricks up his sleeves.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 07-31-2008   #6
blackjack

im going to do the same job this winter,ieorted heads and headers,but the block will have to stay in the car...nobody around here(montreal) wants to touch it,so ill have to do the job myself...my experience is in push-rod engines,bbc and harley,so anything learned here will be precious when time comes
bj
91/1735
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote