ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-13-2013   #1
GTOger

Default Door panel courtesy lights

The courtesy lights on my 1990 ZR-1 are looking tired. The black paint is cracking/flaking on the inside, so it looks old and nasty with the light coming through the cracked places. Structurally, it's perfect. This is just a cosmetic thing. So I got some black model paint and some itty-bitty brushes thinking I'd touch it up. I managed to pop one out of the door panel, and now can't figure out what to do with it. The manual is pretty good at keeping this a secret. So I need some help / advice, if you'd be so kind. The smoked plastic lens snaps out with a little gentle force from a screwdriver. No problem. But it seems there is another piece that fits inside the smoked lens, and THAT is the part that is painted black. 2 wires go into the black painted piece, and from what I can tell, it's friction-mounted or maybe snapped into the smoked lens. The wires are not on a plug. Or at least, they don't seem to be. It looks like they are molded into the black painted piece. Any ideas on how this assembly actually fits together, and more importantly in my case, how can it be pulled apart without destruction? TIA for any assistance!
[B]1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930)
Red/Black, Stock Engine, Henderson Performance custom ECM, FIC Injectors, B&B exhaust, Kenwood DNX6160[/B]
Other Rides:
1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010), 1967 Pontiac GTO
1998 Porsche 968, 2000 Harley Davidson FXST
1986 Pontiac Trans Am, 1931 Ford Model A Tudor Deluxe
GTOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #2
GTOger

Default Re: Door panel courtesy lights

Update: I got the assemblies out of the doors and onto my desk. Now I just have to figure out how to separate the 2 pieces. I've figured out one is just the smoked lens and the other is the LED diffuser that makes the orange/red glow when the headlights are on. I can't seem to get them un-mated. If / when I get it all figured out, I'll post a procedure w/ pics if I can.
Red/Black, Stock Engine, Henderson Performance custom ECM, FIC Injectors, B&B exhaust, Kenwood DNX6160[/B]
Other Rides:
Old 05-13-2013   #3
Schrade

I can get a blade between the lens and the backing in 2 places, and can hear adhesive stretching.

Try a petroleum solvent to soften the adhesive. I think the plastic will crack before it gives...

If it breaks on ya' there, I've got 2 from my Cognac -> Black interior conversion...

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #4
GTOger

Thanks, Schrade! I did use a little knife to work around the edges. There is definately a trick to it but eventually I was able to pop the inner part out using just SLIGHTLY more force than I thought would be safe. Apparently the old plastic isn't as brittle as I feared and it came apart nicely. Now I have the lenses washed up and sparkly and have been applying new paint to the inner parts. I'll have it back together tonight. Although.... the lens plastic has bubbled a bit where the courtesy lamp goes. I may consider replacing those old "space heater" bulbs with LEDs.... hmmmm
Other Rides:
Old 05-14-2013   #5
GTOger

In case anybody is interested, I posted a little how-to of what I did. Hopefully that is not inappropriate for this forum.

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20232

Mods: feel free to move it around if you think there's a better place. Or remove it entirely if it's inappropriate for whatever reason.
Other Rides:
Old 05-14-2013   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOger View Post
In case anybody is interested, I posted a little how-to of what I did. Hopefully that is not inappropriate for this forum.

Mods: feel free to move it around if you think there's a better place. Or remove it entirely if it's inappropriate for whatever reason.
I Referenced that Courtesy Light How To in -Solutions- under the Heading INTERIOR.

"How Tos" which have great photos like yours are shown as TIPS in BOLD RED

And.....I can assure you that "How Tos" exactly like yours are most appreciated by the members on this Forum including the Mods

The Mods may even want to Copy the How To for the ZR1NETRegistry TechNet section within the Heading INFORMATION

ALL Links in Bold Red that are underlined are left clickable Links

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-14-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #7
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOger View Post

Big thanks for this!!!
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote