ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-04-2013   #1
LancePearson

Default local car show experience

A regular local informal car show with about a hundred cars here is each Friday night. I took the 91 ZR-1 and sat with it among the Corvettes. I know so much about the engineering of these cars and was between two C5's, either of which can't begin to keep up with mine, and people walked past my C4 ZR-1 with absolute total disinterest. I guess not many know what a zr-1 of our vintage is and when they see the hood up and the engine it just didn't stimulate much interest.

I got more conversation in years past with my 76 than I did with the Z which is such a fantastic car.

I was honestly surprised by it. Still a well kept secret I guess.

A couple knowledgable people did stop by and talk and that was fun but to most people I saw it isn't either old enough or new enough or unique enough to get any interest from them.

Kind of a surprising night and makes me think I won't go back.

Lance
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: local car show experience

Not unusual, Lance. I've had the same experience at one of the popular local shows too, and I agree w/ you: most see "just another C4" and don't even realize what their looking at.

But, there are a few that do. And, it has been my surprise that it is the "Fast and Furious" crowd that gives it the most attention - snapping pics and the like, asside from the few Corvette aficionados. I don't mind tho; I know what I've got and listening to the BS comments is good entertainment.

One of my favorite memories of such car show outings I was sitting next to the owner of a stunning Olds 442 (don't know the year). We were BSn about cars for a while when a dude and his girlfriend stopped to look at the 442 and the Z.

The gal was intrigued by all that silver painted aluminum - of the LT5 - and apparently said something to her boyfriend about it, prompting some remark from the dude about how it was a C4 and how his C5 would stomp it.

The owner of the 442 asked the dude, "Do you have any idea what you're looking at?" The look on the dude's face when suddenly he was totally unsure of himself, and the exchange of looks between he and his now skeptical looking GF's face...PRICELESS!

I've thought about getting one of those posters made up that has the historical dialog about the LT5 and the ZR-1 FIA runs, but have yet to do that. (Hey, Robert!!! Maybe an item for the Registry Store???).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #3
LancePearson

You got it right, Paul. Just wish the va speeding laws were not so tough as all they see is taillights and are surprised I would guess.
Net Registry #1461
Old 05-04-2013   #4
tccrab

During the summer months there is a small car show on Wednesday nights in the local Red Robin Restaurant's parking lot, usually no more than 50 to 75 cars.
About 6 or 7 years ago I took Girlfriend down and asked if I could participate.
I was told No, it was too new and not unique enough.
Seems they have a nothing newer than 1976 policy.
I argued that there were only 3000 made and they cost as much as a house back in the day.
Didn't matter.
*rolls eyes*

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #5
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
..... it has been my surprise that it is the "Fast and Furious" crowd that gives it the most attention - snapping pics and the like, asside from the few Corvette aficionados.
I've had the same reaction. The youngsters can see it's a "cammer" because of the heads, and they are intrigued because they are used to seeing the ubiquitous small block tin valve covers on what seems to be every other car at the show.

Two strategies to get some attention, if you want it:

- Next time that top-end is in service, polish all the aluminum. That'll catch everyone's eye.

- If you decide to make a fact sheet/poster for display, make the top line read, in big letters, "The Fastest Production Corvette of the Twentieth Century".

That will spark some comment, and maybe some protest among the Callaway people, ....."tuner car".
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #6
LancePearson

I sort of have concluded that if they can't read the letters, recognize what is clearly a race oriented engine and have no curiosity then they probably aren't my kind of people anyway. When talking with interested people they have no clue that it was the fastest car and if I tell them about March 2, 1990 and 24 hours of 175.885 mph I'm not sure they even know how to relate to it.

So, my conclusion is to use it.

My son and his wife and their 11 and 6 year old sons were here for a visit today and the boys saw the two red vettes in the garage and said: "Wow, Grandpa. Can we have a ride?" I asked their dad and took the 11 year old for a short ride and ran it up to 90 which even he knew was fast when the front end of the car lifts slightly with the acceleration. When I came back he was thrilled so I took his dad, my son, and ran it up a little faster until he got uncomfortable. I don't think he'd ever seen three numbers on a speedo before! We had a great day in the house, with the boys, with my two greyhounds and my son and daughter in law. Everybody went home satisfied and the dogs and I settled back down after the hubbub of having two grandsons around.

A great day and as far as the people who have no clue about our cars, it's their loss and if they have something to race they should give me a try and get their lesson that way, the hard way.

Scxx 'em, if they can't learn and aren't aware and curious!

Lance
Net Registry #1461
Old 05-04-2013   #7
G8nightman

I get the opposite people stop and take pictures and ask that's the special one maybe its the two big lines going down the middle. But seems people in my area are familiar with the zr1.
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #8
LancePearson

I get far more attention driving my 76 than the 91, by far.
Net Registry #1461
Old 05-04-2013   #9
mike100

I've had pretty good luck showing my 91 here in San Diego Co. Most recently, one of only 3 vettes they let park in the display area for the Symbolic Motors exotic dealership open house.

But mostly old timers and very young children are attracted to the C4. Funny that 8 yr old kids recognize the car as something not very typical.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #10
LancePearson

what attracted me was not the appearance but the technology of the engine and suspension and the more I learned the more interesting it got. I think it looks fantastic from the rear but would only say I was lukewarm about the appearance from the front but then I am no c5 or c6 fan of their appearance either so the performance and technology were what hooked and hooks me. I appreciate excellence and the more you know the harder it is to get all gooey about a c5 especially. Most people don't get into that level of knowledge with cars so I understand why they tend to overlook our cars. They really ought to ask about those three little initials when they see them though: ZR-1!
Net Registry #1461