ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-21-2017   #1
Roadster

Default WAZOO Day Success 1/21/17

Another great day @ WAZOO. I was the fortunate one today to have a plenum pull performed by Yun and help from Jim and a host of others. I cleaned some parts and took pics. A lot of pics to follow.
I do want to thank Yun, Jim and the WAZOO guys in attendance today. It was a very good day!!!

I will start off by saying that the time I have owned my 94, I was under the impression that my secondaries were functioning correctly. I know I had vacuum issues, but also thought it wasn't a big deal with secondary operation. I was wrong, big time. For the first time since April 2014, I now have full secondary operation. And all I can say is......wow, I'm stunned. In the past I was able to pull shifts @7200r's whenever. Engine felt good, no stumbles, no hesitation, etc. Just thought it was running great. Had my vacuum pump unplugged, and figured when the plenum pull gets done, will address the problem then. And having never been in or driven another ZR-1 before purchase, what did I know!!! Well I really didn't know anything. I just knew my Z was running good and I was satisfied.
Well after today's pull and test drive w/Yun afterwards, it was like this LT5 is totally different. Not only can I feel the additional power, but the sound of the secondaries opening is music to my ears. It was like buying another ZR-1.

Here is the list of items done today and why they were done. I figured if we're doing the plenum pull, we may as well do it all or as much as I can. Because I don't want to get under there again, unless it is absolutely necessary.

1-Plenum Pull
2-replace starter
3-replace coils
4-replace vacuum lines
5-replace check valve
6-replace filter
7-replace PCV valves
8-replace PCV hose
9-replace MAP connector
10-replace Fuel Regulator hose
11-clean the valley
12-unclog the drain
13-clean Plenum and other parts
14-replace Fuel Injectors
15-replace alternator
16-go for a test drive and smile.........

On a side note, I decided to keep the secondaries factory, and not do a coolant bypass.
Also already having Marc's chip, gives me another 10HP (415HP now), who can argue with that!!!

And Charlie, you also were so right about the secondaries.....oh yea!!!

My injectors were original, and they all tested out between 12.2 and 12.5
They were still good. But I took advantage of a sale through an email on FIC and went with new. Coils were MSD units and purchased through Summit. Jerrys Gaskets provided all of the hoses needed and other small items, from my purchase which turned out to be a great move.
While the main vacuum lines were in good shape, we found problems with the check valve (which was very loose in the connection) and the PCV hose that was split. We replace the vacuum hoses anyway even if the old ones were still good. We're in here, so let's just do it.
Again, results were phenomenal to say the least. My vacuum pump works flawlessly and is tight. No leaks.....
Enjoy the pics.....

The LT5...

Plenum off...

Closer inspection and pics for reference during assembly...

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 01-21-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017   #2
Roadster

Default Re: WAZOO Day Success 1/21/17

more pics....

paper towel plugs...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 01-21-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2017   #3
Roadster

the valley...

the coil replacements...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 01-21-2017   #4
Roadster

the new starter...

coil installation...

the underneath of the dirty Plenum...

the Ignition Module...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 01-21-2017   #5
Roadster

the group minus me, I don't do pics, I just take them.......

new Alternator...

everything coming together...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 01-21-2017   #6
Roadster

Yun, working his magic...

the famous "block of wood"...to make those last minute connections & adjustments...

Yun's clean LT5 with his signature "block of wood" under his plenum, as he made some adjustments after mine.....

Mine all back together....woohoo!!! what a day!!!

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 01-22-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2017   #7
Dynomite

It looked a bit rough under the Plenum before you started the reconditioning......I usually DEGREASE and Pressure Wash under the plenum after cleaning out the Valley Drain.

I usually replace the crankcase Cover gasket and replace the Secondary Port Throttle Linkage with new linkage from Jerry.

I ALWAYS Drill and tap each Injector Housing Blocking TB Coolant. This allows me to install SS Plenum bolts with less torque simply because I just like removing the Plenum more often than others without messing with Coolant

The WAZOO gang should start Blocking TB Coolant on each plenum removal just because

Great set of photos............

I will reposition this post at the end of your photos if you post more photos so not to interrupt the sequence..........

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-21-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017   #8
Roadster

Actually the valley cleaned up well after all was done. The drain was totally clogged and now is clog free.....

Did not do the crankcase gasket, but the secondary port throttle linkage was tested numerous times before and after the vacuum issues were corrected and now works perfect. My pump is plugged in again, and is fine.

There wasn't enough time to do a TB coolant even if we wanted, and I am happy to do without. Don't intend to go back under there unless necessary as mentioned. I know you are under there more than anyone...... and do the TB bypass on all your LT5's.

Glad you enjoyed the pics......thx...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 01-21-2017   #9
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
[B]

The WAZOO gang should start Blocking TB Coolant on each plenum removal just because
Three wazoo cars have throttle body coolant bypassed. Not only blocked at the top of injector housing but also tapped behind the injector housing on both sides, tee on to a single hose and connected back to return line next to the blower housing area. This set up totally alleviates any concern of air bubble trapping in the cooling system. And yes, it makes servicing under the plenum much simpler.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017   #10
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Actually the valley cleaned up well after all was done. The drain was totally clogged and now is clog free.....

Did not do the crankcase gasket, but the secondary port throttle linkage was tested numerous times before and after the vacuum issues were corrected and now works perfect. My pump is plugged in again, and is fine.

There wasn't enough time to do a TB coolant even if we wanted, and I am happy to do without. Don't intend to go back under there unless necessary as mentioned. I know you are under there more than anyone...... and do the TB bypass on all your LT5's.

Glad you enjoyed the pics......thx...
Yes on the TB Coolant Blocking on my LT5s (several I have reinstalled new TB Coolant hoses without hose clamps to make it look stock)........You have documented the top end of a 94' which is a bit unique and should be identical to my 95' I am thinking.

Anyway.....very high quality large photos like you have presented helps everyone that is thinking about doing a Top End Restoration.
The photos are very much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Not only blocked at the top of injector housing but also tapped behind the injector housing on both sides, tee on to a single hose and connected back to return line next to the blower housing area. This set up totally alleviates any concern of air bubble trapping in the cooling system. And yes, it makes servicing under the plenum much simpler.
I am not sure I understand the "tapped bebind the injector housing on both sides, tee on to a single hose" .........I sounds like you installed a tee to make sure air is evacuated from the top of the Injector Housing coolant manifolds. If you get the air out of the Water Pump by a method or two I use during coolant re-installation my theory is that the coolant flow will flush air out of the top of the Injector Housing Coolant Manifolds especially at the higher rpms which then cures that issue for which you have installed a Tee.

Tech Info - LT5 Coolant Flow Calculations

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-22-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote