ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-26-2021   #1
RichieDMD

Default Replacing 1995 Key Fob

So, I'm looking at a 1995 ZR-1 to possibly purchase. Seller says both key fobs are broken. I've been looking online for replacement options and haven't found much. Can replacements be found and if so are they hard to find?
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Replacing 1995 Key Fob

Here is my advise

look on corvette forum in the c4 parts for sale section as they pop up from time to time. There are different styles of fobs. You will need a two button fob that locks and unlocks the doors and has a button for the hatch. There are 1 button fobs out there that are for convertibles. Also the later fobs are the style that are most desirable and they have a screw on the back of the fob to replace the battery and keep the half's together. The early units snap together and have to be gently pryed apart to open them. Good luck. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 08-28-2021 at 02:09 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #3
RichieDMD

Can you still get them from a dealer?
RichieDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #4
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Negative on the dealer availability.
Also, C-4 ZR-1's that used a fob, i.e. 93-95, only came with a single fob, not two from the factory.
You can buy replacement cases if just the case is broken.
I would add that the electronics rarely fail.
The rubber buttons may deteriorate, but otherwise it is usually the case that fails.
Many do not understand or correctly follow the programming instructions, and sometimes the car is "difficult" to communicate with.
Good luck with your search.

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 08-27-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added specificity on ZR-1 Fobs
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #5
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieDMD View Post
Can you still get them from a dealer?
No hence the suggestion on Corvette Forum or perhaps EBay
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #6
zyal8r

Hi Rich. In the C4 parts for sale on Corvette Forum, there is a guy selling three refurbished fobs. I believe he wants $325. Looks like one just sold, actually.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

I'm contemplating one as the '95 I just bought (will be transported shortly!) only has one. My '96 came with two and I thought generally that these cars came with two.

BTW I've been watching your post the last few weeks - I think you've found a nice car at a good price, given the market. There is a '95 red (#23) newly posted on the zr1.net classifieds with 61k miles for $35k. A '95 green/tan (#277) was just posted on Autotrader for $26,900, FYI as well.

Mike
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #7
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Provided more specifics on PKE fobs in my earlier post.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #8
zyal8r

Marty, interesting info! I didn't know C4 ZR-1s didn't have two fobs... any idea why? Didn't all non-ZR-1s come with two? My '96 has two, I'm the second owner but have owned it over 20 years.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021   #9
Demps

Mike, is a yellow '95 being shipped?

The coupe fob has two buttons (door & hatch); convertible has one (door).

A second fob was a $100 option. One of the few things I've found unique on a window sticker.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Replacing 1995 Key Fob

My 95 Z also came with two key fobs, but I am the third owner so maybe an extra fob was purchased?

This guy in the video stated they come with two key fobs and he mentioned it twice. When I had my 90 Z, I bought a GM NOS keyless entry system to upgrade to, but I gave up after thinking it might be above my skill level to install.

https://youtu.be/X8DhGSNSga4

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 08-28-2021 at 02:41 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote