ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 03-09-2018   #1
JShort

Default 1991 ZR-1 Auto Masters "Street Skinner #1" FS/FT

Very special ZR-1. This is "Street Skinner #1" from Jim Van Dorn's Auto Masters. It's also the beautiful Quasar Blue (1 of 71 for 1991). Mechanically flawless. Meticulously maintained. Extremely clean. All documentation since 1994. VERY highly documented car. It was also featured in multiple Corvette magazines in the late 90's. Originally delivered/sold by Malcolm Konner Chevrolet in Paramus, NJ.

No accidents, all original paint, clean Carfax. 80k miles on the car. The engine conversion was done at 45k miles.

The Street Skinner package was rated at 460hp (without headers). The car now has headers and is probably around 500hp. Doug Rippie Motorsports ported heads and intake. Stock cams (stock drivability). The mods are in line with what you would get in the Haibeck 500 package.

I have extensive documentation with the car. Nearly everything since 1994. There is a photo album that the original owner (Tom Sullivan) put together with a ton of pictures from Auto Masters during the build including pictures of Scott Skinner from Mercury Marine assembling the engine himself. I also have a copy of all the Corvette magazines that featured the car. Pizza box, window sticker, build sheet, dealer brochure, etc... Many parts on the car have been replaced on the car over the years as needed. This is not a ZR-1 that requires $3-5k worth of maintenance. No electrical issues. I've pressed every button. Everything works. Heat is hot, A/C blows cole.

The car is extremely clean. And I'm picky. The condition is along the lines of most of the 20-30k mile, well-cared for ZR-1's I've personally seen at Carlisle. The paint is the worst part of the car, but it's probably a 8.5 out of 10. Again, I'm REAL picky. Most people would say the paint is "near perfect". For a 1991, it's impressively nice and looks beautiful. There are some small imperfection and defects in a few areas as to be expected with the original paint; however, nothing significant. The windshield has minimal delamination. The delamination is concentrated to the outside 1.5" edge. The interior is gorgeous. No funky smell (non-smoker since day 1, no musty/mildew, no black ice air freshener, etc..). The driver's seat shows nearly zero wear, including the bolster.

The underside of the car looks like new. It's not even dirty. Lifelong California, Arizona, and North Carolina car. Just gorgeous.

Modifications:
-Auto Masters "Street Skinner" engine package (Doug Rippie ported heads, intake plenum, etc...)
-Shortblock rebuilt/blueprinted personally by Scott Skinner (Mercury Marine) - numbers matching
-Engine Powder Coated - Silver
-1996 Grand Sport front calipers powder coated black
-1995 GM ZR-1 "A-mold" 5-spoke wheels (OEM silver)
-Toyo R888 front tires (275/40-17)
-Toyo R888 rear tires (315/35-17)
-Side windows tinted
-Rear window tinted
-Watson 1 7/8" coated headers
-B&B Tri Flow stainless 3" exhaust
-Transmission rebuilt by ZF
-New clutch (less than 2k miles)
-4.10 gears

The only issues that the car currently has is that the tach reads high (very common issue) and the weatherstripping around the door has cracking (still seals).

I'm asking $29,000 (4/30 update: lowered to $23,500). I will also entertain partial trades for cars plus cash. The only cars that I'd be interested in are stock ZR-1's, base C4 (stock or modified), or 4th generation Camaro/Firebirds.

I am located in Rochester, NY.

Last edited by JShort; 05-04-2018 at 04:42 PM.
JShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018   #2
JShort

Default Re: 1991 ZR-1 Auto Masters "Street Skinner #1" FS/FT

Old 03-09-2018   #3
JShort

Old 03-11-2018   #4
George Maz

Super Nice, beautiful color
...luv how clean you keep it, this one must sound mean as it pins you back in the seat.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018   #5
JShort

Thanks George! I appreciate the compliments!
Old 03-11-2018   #6
G8nightman

Didn’t you just buy this car?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018   #7
JShort

I bought the car in December.
Old 03-11-2018   #8
G8nightman

Did you buy to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018   #9
JShort

It's a bit of a story. I essentially "overbought" this car. I started looking for a C4 ZR-1 last year. My budget was considerably lower than this car and I was really looking for a stock(ish) car.

This car dropped right in my lap. A friend of mine that works for a local dealership contacted me saying that they took a ZR-1 in on trade (toward a 2018 Grand Sport) knowing that I was looking for one. I went to look at it and was impressed. At that time, there was no documentation or any idea that it was Street Skinner #1. After months sitting in the indoor storage area of the dealership, it remained unsold. I started doing more research on the car and ended up finding a picture of it online (unique stripes). I then found a previous listing for the car and saw some information regarding its history. More research revealed just what the car was/is; however, the documentation and details were still missing.

After some time, my friend was able to contact the previous owner who thankfully still had all of the documentation. Apparently he thought it was unimportant to disclose the history of the car and/or include the documentation. So, the history of this car was nearly lost. We ended up having to pay additional money for the previous owner to release the documentation to us. But, we had to have it.

Knowing the history of the car and how unique it is (and having the documentation), I came up considerably in price and purchased it. It was somewhat of an emotional purchase since the car was too great to chance leaving the ZR-1 community (where it belongs) and go to an unknowing person. It was too convenient of a purchase being 10 miles from my house.

In the end, I'm in a car that's about $10k more than I was looking for. I already own a 2009 Z06 that is heavily modified and really just wanted a C4 ZR-1 to cruise in.

I don't need to sell it and am happy to enjoy it. It's just a more expensive Z that I was intending for my purpose and decided to put it up for sale to see if there was interest.
Old 03-11-2018   #10
ghlkal

Beautiful and special Z. GLWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShort View Post
After some time, my friend was able to contact the previous owner who thankfully still had all of the documentation. Apparently he thought it was unimportant to disclose the history of the car and/or include the documentation. So, the history of this car was nearly lost. We ended up having to pay additional money for the previous owner to release the documentation to us. But, we had to have it.
Good story. I'm glad to see you spent the time and money to get the documentation and keep it with the car
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote