ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-12-2008   #1
White Bullet

Default Oil and spark plug change

Well; I just completed half of this effort. The oil change was a no go. I could not get the drain plug to come loose. I had the car on ramps and me on my back. Using a boxed end wrench I was moving the car and getting nowhere. I was thinking of using a hammer on the wrench but decided against it. Plan B is to take the car to the truck shop at work and get it up in the air. Hopefully I will be able to loosen the plug at which point I will hand tighten it and take it home for the oil change. Man what a bummer. The spark plug change went very well. I have changed plugs on an L98 and LT1 and compared to them this was a walk in the park. Getting the right tools helped. The tips section on the registry pointed out the needed tools (2" extension; 5/8 plug socket with swivel; and pivoted racket). There was one plug that I did have difficulty with as is was binding when backing out. I was able to work it back and forth until it came out. Man there were some scary thoughts going through my head while this was going on. The new plug went in without any problems and the motor ran just fine.

Any thoughts on the oil drain plug? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008   #2
Aurora40

Default Re: Oil and spark plug change

Maybe some heat to loosen the oil drain plug? You'd think the thing would stay well lubed to not bind up, what with it holding oil in and whatnot... Just be careful with the pan, as it is aluminum.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #3
zipnz

just to clarify: aren't the oil pans made of magnesium?
zipnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #4
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipnz
just to clarify: aren't the oil pans made of magnesium?
No, they are alum.
Old 07-12-2008   #5
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bullet

Any thoughts on the oil drain plug? Thanks.
Don't use a box wrench. Use a longer ratchet and appropriate socket to get the leverage you need.
Old 07-12-2008   #6
White Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Don't use a box wrench. Use a longer ratchet and appropriate socket to get the leverage you need.
I have changed oil in other cars before and have not had the difficulty I am having with this one. Is this common or am I being to careful ?
Old 07-12-2008   #7
Jeffvette

More than likely some person got overzealous in the tightening down of the plug. A nice long ratchet wrench will help apply the TQ needed to break it loose. A box wrench won't let you do that, unless you have a long handle box wrench.
Old 07-12-2008   #8
jonszr1

one addition would be to make sure you are using a 6 pt socket. if you have air wrenches you could use one of them on the lower settings . just a few thoughts hope they help
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #9
karterdon

I also would suggest that you use a 6 point socket and a long handled wratchet - maybe even a breaker bar - make certain that it fits tight. If not you will be in for some additional work to get it out. Using an air ratchet would also help as previously suggested - That slight bit of vibration may help break it loose. When all else fails - Forget about removing the plug and get your self a mighty-vac. You can then suck the oil out of the engine. " You will get every bit of the oil out" I know - I just did it this weekend. The mighty-vac was around $70.00 i think. Someone posted it on the forum - So I ordered one. You will also need an Air Compressor. Save yourself from going under the car each time. I just did a complete exhaust change and a Hurst shifter install - I am way to old to do this again- My Body (Aches & Pain) told me so.

Good Luck -
Don Yoakem
91-#267 Dark Red Met.
karterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #10
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by karterdon
When all else fails - Forget about removing the plug and get your self a mighty-vac. You can then suck the oil out of the engine. " You will get every bit of the oil out" I know - I just did it this weekend. The mighty-vac was around $70.00 i think. Someone posted it on the forum - So I ordered one. You will also need an Air Compressor. Save yourself from going under the car each time.

Glad to hear somebody bought one of those off my recomendation. I still suggest two. One for oil based liquids and another for regular liquids.