ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-09-2005   #1
91MinuteMan

Default Winter storage

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death but as I celebrate my 2 week anniversary of ZR1 ownership the frost is on the pumkin and the day of winter reckoning is nigh. This is my 1st computer controlled FI car that will be hibernating and other than fuel stabilizer I could use other tips on storing these specific cars. Trickle charger or battery disconnect?--and the like. Thanks, hope to get to meet you and your cars come spring.
91MinuteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #2
yellowz

Default Re: Winter storage

hey larry
i use stablizer silicone all the weatherstrips put windows down just a hair put moth balls out under the hood at headlight area and up ner w/s and battery area,i also do same in the interior.I also wash and wax it and make sure i leave my battery tender on as it will kill the battery all winter.
then i write my self a note what i did tape it to the steering wheel and say goodnight till april.last thing i take out all my carpet savers and put the clutch pedal all the ay down to the floor and brace it against the seat wrapped in a towel using a 2x4 .this keeps the disc off the plate you dont want to get the disc welded to the pplate thats a job to free it.

peter
yellowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #3
zr1mom

Check this out, great article.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/care/storage.html
NCM Lifetime Member
zr1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #4
A1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1mom
Thanks MoM...that about covers it!
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #5
91MinuteMan

I've been a CAC member for a few years now and forgot all about that thread. Thanks for the reminder, this will give me something to read tonight. The good news is today I rented a spot in a heated garage a few miles from my house without breaking the bank, quite a feat in the Boston area.
Old 11-10-2005   #6
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91MinuteMan
I've been a CAC member for a few years now and forgot all about that thread. Thanks for the reminder, this will give me something to read tonight. The good news is today I rented a spot in a heated garage a few miles from my house without breaking the bank, quite a feat in the Boston area.
That's a great score! I'm still looking for something that will not break the bank.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #7
91MinuteMan

My plan is to store the car with the battery disconnected. The person I bought the car from told me that the '91 OEM radio does not require a code to get it going when I fire it up in the spring. Can anyone confrim this?
Old 11-10-2005   #8
TommyL

There is no code needed for the radio. Don't forget to stuff rags into the tailpipes, critters love to nest in mufflers and pipes.
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #9
Tom

I would be leery of braceing the clutch pedal on the floor with a hydraulic clutch actuation system like in the ZR-1. You will have the maximum system hydraulic pressure on the seals in the master and slave cylinders for the entire time the car is stored. Any seal that is not perfect will allow leakage past the seal and the seals rarely form a perfect seal.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #10
Patton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I would be leery of braceing the clutch pedal on the floor with a hydraulic clutch actuation system like in the ZR-1. You will have the maximum system hydraulic pressure on the seals in the master and slave cylinders for the entire time the car is stored. Any seal that is not perfect will allow leakage past the seal and the seals rarely form a perfect seal.

Ya, I was gonna say the same thing. Sorta on the same lines as loading your "oh shyt" mags half way for extended periods of time, unless of course you are talking about glock or H&K, they can take it. ANYWAYS I feel really sorry for you guys that have to put your Z up for the winter!! Jesus, you must go through withdrawls all winter long! That sucks!