ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-21-2009   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default CLEAN!

With regard to cleaning, a while back there was a thread on the top (10) rated gasoline(s). For some reason the "search" wouldn't pull it up, but I remember that "BP" gasoline was NOT on the list. That article raised my eyebrows a bit since I only wanted to be using the best stuff in our "babies", and since that is the fuel I've been pouring into our Vettes almost exclusively for 7 years.

Annnyyyywaaaaay...When I pulled the injectors on my Z (as part of my porting project) I noticed the injectors were spotlessly clean! I'm talkin like new! And, I noticed the boss/bowl area on the primary side was completely clean. Although there was some dark oil(?) layer in the secondary injector area the secondary injectors were also spotless.

The injectors have under 5K miles on them, but I still expected to see some kinda build up. And, after seeing that BP was not on the list of top gasolines, I guess I wouldn't have been surprised; NOT seeing it did surprise me. Just an FYI, I guess.

Changing the subject to oil catch cans, that is definitely an item that is going to be added to my winter project list! I think I saw some "ready made" ones at a speed shop a while back...Might give one a try.

Back to "the grind"...Got a long way to go yet!

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: CLEAN!

I was kind of surprised not to see BP on that list also. I remember back in the 70's if you wanted the best unleaded hi-test, you went for amoco white 93.

Mine is used to a steady diet of shell 93 with a side of bp 93. Those are the easiest stations for me to stumble upon. The last time I pulled my plenum I don't remember if any thing jumped out at me though. I was in a hurry, chasing a 61 DTC just the weekend before Carlisle 07. I guess I should have taken the time to look. I remember when I did my R/C's back in late 05 there was a pretty good mess going on in the secondaries, yuck! That was on the original owner's dime as I only had the car for 3k miles at that point.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #3
Aurora40

It's possible their 93 octane is great, but their other grades are not. Around here, BP sells Amoco Ultimate as their "top" gasoline:

http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?...tentId=7023409

However, BP is not a Top Tier company, presumably because their lower grades do not meet the requirements.

When I first pulled my plenum and IH's, the secondary butterflies were fairly discolored. But the secondary valve stems were downright crusty! I mean really crusty. I was afraid to try to pull/knock it off though. Marc H suggested trying to cruise with the secondaries open. If you crack them open, then back off the throttle, they will stay open, and the fuel can clean all that crap off. I've no idea what gas the guy before me used, nor if they are any cleaner now. Hopefully! I mainly use Shell 93 but sometimes use BP/Amoco Ultimate. There is a Texaco station sort of near where I work that has Chevron Techron 93. I would prefer that, except it's not that convenient (it's in the opposite direction from going home).
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 03-21-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #4
tomtom72

Hi Bob. Thanks for that tip about the 2*'s.

I didn't know that you can get them to do that. Usually I resort to driving in 3rd on the highway at about 60....or I stay in 2nd on the local streets...it must sound stupid to anyone near me as they proly think I'm behaving like a punk kid.

I hear ya about the Chevron stations, in my local they are scarce as hen's teeth. I settle for a once a month bottle of the fuel treatment.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote