ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-28-2008   #1
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Default Z's in Japan!!!

hey guys,

There are 30 Z's in Japan... Looks like a tight bunch of guys and I'm trying to get them to visit the forum to discuss their cars.

Love to know colors of them, options, years and mods done.

Craig (HawaiiZR1) visited 10 of them and had pictures of them....

Gotta hear more about this band of brothers!

ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #2
UKZR1

Default Re: Z's in Japan!!!

There were a couple of Japenese owners at a gathering a few years back. 2004 I think
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
Known as 'Gixer' on corvettechat.co.uk
www.corvetteclips.co.uk
UKZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

I did not have a chance to meet with the 7 ZR-1s in Tokyo as they met after they dropped me off at Narita Airport. But I will tell you that these great bunch of ZR-1 brothers took time from their busy schedules to drive quite a distance (4 1/2 hours to pick me up at Camp Zama and another almost 3 hours to Asakusa for eating and shopping; then we met the others at a rest stop for coffee and for show and tell before heading to the airport). These guys are true ZR-1 fanatics and are all about performance. They have things modded from carbon fiber hoods, custom front frame braces (first one for me to see), all coilovers with upgraded brakes, in addition to engine mods, etc., etc. They were taking turns to lead the way on the freeway to Narita with WOT most of the way so we go there much quicker than expected. These guys do not baby these Zs and one even has to change his clutch sometimes annually or less with the abuse put on it. What is most impressive is to think about the cost and trouble involved with owning a Z in Japan, yet so much dedication and determination.

There were some communication barriers as I do not speak Japanese and they try their best with English so my hat off to them again. I was also provided videos of the awesome cruises they do throughout Japan and organize over 30 or more from the club of over 100 Corvettes. My closest friend that I have been communicating with over the past year by email until we finally met was even married at a Corvette event here in the U.S. We a rare treat and wonderful experience; I don't want to say once in a lifetime as I plan to go back and take the time to meet again. Jerry was able to help me with a package of parts to take as a gift as well as the traditional macadamia nuts, kona coffee and cookies from Hawaii.

They are going to start a ZR-1 specific club in Japan and it is awesome to know that we have this kind of connection there with the ZR-1s. I can't even get one other ZR-1 owner in Hawaii to get together and I am on a little island. Sorry, I was not able to get good pictures due to the darkness of night at the rest stop and short time at the airport for my departure.

ICHIBAN ZR-1s in Japan. =D>
Old 10-29-2008   #4
LGAFF

What kind of rims are they running on their cars?

Nice Pics, should have them join the Regstry Forum!

LGAFF
92 ZR1
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #5
Chris_32212

i love where they put their license plates on the front. lol. still leagal but no chance at all of a radar beam returning to the cops gun. lol. thats awesome to see. i actually spent 6months in japan when i was in the Navy. i got my japanese drivers license when i was there and it was very weird to drive a right hand drive vehicle on the left side of the road. keep in mind these guys are driving a left hand drive vehicle on the left side of the road. i am certain these are considered very EXOTIC over there. good to see there are some brothers over there.

Chris
[SIZE=1]1993 Corvette ZR-1 #137, 1990 Yellow 6speed coupe, and 1991 6speed coupe.[/SIZE]

Last edited by Chris_32212; 10-29-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Chris_32212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
What kind of rims are they running on their cars?

Nice Pics, should have them join the Regstry Forum!

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Thanks and sorry I could not post more. The 3 Zs that I saw were running Rays. I want to say they were the Volk Racing variety http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/indexe.html

Sorry, I asked about the Registry and one is a member, but English is very difficult for them and can you imagine taking 1/2 hour to look up how to write one sentence. I think in time they will but I know the feeling when I was pointed to one of their sites with info. We all speak the same language when I say "ZR-1" or "LT5" so that is cool.

Check this out: http://6239.teacup.com/madvette/bbs?BD=13&CH=5
Old 10-29-2008   #7
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_32212 View Post
i love where they put their license plates on the front. lol. still leagal but no chance at all of a radar beam returning to the cops gun. lol. thats awesome to see. i actually spent 6months in japan when i was in the Navy. i got my japanese drivers license when i was there and it was very weird to drive a right hand drive vehicle on the left side of the road. keep in mind these guys are driving a left hand drive vehicle on the left side of the road. i am certain these are considered very EXOTIC over there. good to see there are some brothers over there.

Chris
Yeah, I was worried if we got caught well over 200 kms and I would not make it home. I would have to call in for leave from a Japanese jail. My wife explained that the plates are to avoid all the speed cameras on the freeway. I don't know how you did it and it took some time for my wife to get used to driving here in Hawaii too. These guys are awesome drivers at the speed and maneuvering we were doing as well as switching over the drive their daily drivers opposite. Yes, there were many stares everywhere we went so it was very cool. These cars rumble too as one had B & B, two were customs.

Old 10-29-2008   #8
Chris_32212

i would love to hear some of their racing stories against the nissans, toyotas, and hondas over there.

Chris
[SIZE=1]1993 Corvette ZR-1 #137, 1990 Yellow 6speed coupe, and 1991 6speed coupe.[/SIZE]
Old 10-29-2008   #9
kirkstingray

Great looking cars, to bad they put those tags on the front. Go ahead and take the ticket. Don't worry about it.
kirkstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #10
Chris_32212

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkstingray View Post
Great looking cars, to bad they put those tags on the front. Go ahead and take the ticket. Don't worry about it.
...WHAT?? lol