ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-02-2012   #1
BlackbirdZ07

Default Anything else I should do "while I'm at it"?

I'm a new member here but a long time member of the other forum under the same user ID.

I wasn't looking for a Z but last summer a 1990 with 13,400 miles came along through a co-worker and at the price I couldn't say no. I haven't done much with it until recently. The injectors were original (well, most of them) and the vacuum pump was running full time, so I knew a plenum pull to fix the vacuum leak and replace the injectors was in order. I ordered new stainless injectors from Jon at FIC.

That plenum pull project is now getting out of hand. The crankcase breather cover was obviously leaking oil, so I got the gasket for it and removed it. To remove it I removed the serpentine belt, moved the AC compressor, and removed the alternator. The alternator had a bearing that was failing so I had it rebuilt. Dropped a small rubber hose into the crankcase so I had to remove the oil pan, but that was okay since it was leaking oil too so I ordered the gasket from Jerry's. The front right side of the engine is very oily, so I removed the oil filter housing to replace the gasket. Also ordered the dreaded oil level sensor that commonly fails and leaks lots of oil, so I'll replace that just because it's so much easier to get to now. The oil cooler lines look fine.

So now the plenum is off, injectors and fuel rail are out, alternator is out, AC compressor is out of the way, oil pan is off, serpentine belt tensioner is out, and oil filter housing has been uninstalled from the engine (oil cooler lines are still connected, and I wanted to leave them since they don't appear to be leaking).

My question is, should I do anything else-- replace any parts, tighten any bolts or screws, clean anything, etc.-- while everything is apart? How about the water pump? There's no problem with the water pump and the car only has 13,400 miles and a new water pump is $300+, but it's right there and would be easy to do. Is this something that commonly fails, or should I just leave it alone and expect to get another 50,000 or 80,000 miles out of it?

And please don't tell me to port the plenum and injector housings, I don't need to spend any more money on this thing!
BlackbirdZ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Anything else I should do "while I'm at it"?

Plugs and wires come to mind while you are there
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #3
BlackbirdZ07

Plugs are pretty easy to do anytime, right? And wires are original but look to be in new condition with 13,400 miles. How about coils?
Old 03-02-2012   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07 View Post
Plugs are pretty easy to do anytime, right? And wires are original but look to be in new condition with 13,400 miles. How about coils?
The plugs sure they are easy enough anytime however the wires is another issue due
to the plenum. The coils your call due to age but they an easy $50 a piece so .... Again your call

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-02-2012   #5
pantera1683

Leave the water pump alone
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1683 View Post
Leave the water pump alone
Agreed

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-02-2012   #7
VetteMed

Wires will age, regardless of mileage, due to exposure to air and heat. I'd suggest removing your OEM wires, toss them on ebay for the NCRS types who want the "LT5" lettering, and put a nice fresh set of wires on for $60 or so.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #8
SteelBlueZR1

Be sure to tighten the The Oil Pressure Regulator Cover. Often accompanying an oil pan gasket leak, is leakage from the little cover that is located on the right side front just above the oil pan flange. This description is from Marc Halbec's article: Finding and Fixing Oil leaks on the LT5 Engine - "The cover is often found to be loose. The little cover can’t be seen when the engine is installed in the car. To reach it, I like to jack up the right front of the engine and reach down from the top. It’s still difficult to see. I often tighten it by feel. The two fasteners
with 8 mm heads need to be tightened."
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SteelBlueZR1; 03-03-2012 at 12:24 AM.
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #9
mike100

My experiences: '91 car w 27k miles- now at 33k miles 13 months later.

Driving the car has been the best thing for it.

-bad injectors replaced
-leaky oil cooler lines replaced
-radiator and oil cooler cleaned up from said leaky oil mess
-new thermostat installed since I had all that stuff apart
-slight alternator bearing squeak sometimes, I kind of wish I took care of it, but i bet it last for 3 more years.
-$200 belt tensioner replaced.
- ported I/H and plenum (twice)...took care of minor oil leak on I/H gasket from gaff on first attempt.
- new spark plugs and compression check for piece of mind (easy).
- water pump fine so far...been out-of-state twice and been on 4 different vette runs in the local mountains in SoCal. AAA not required.
original wires are fine. pulled the plenum 3 times now- you know there will be a 4th.

- a bunch of other stuff not related to the engine $$$- car is nearly tip-top, but damn...went over budget.

Drove it to work on Wednesday- got comments once again- Not the same type like the C6 comments either.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #10
BlackbirdZ07

Wow, thanks for all the comments! I'll happily leave the water pump alone. I'll definitely tighten the oil pressure regulator cover, and I'll think about the wires and coils. Not that I want to do it again, but after this project a simple plenum pull should be easy if I did have to do wires and/or coils!