ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-02-2012   #1
oricale

Default Just a little help with cluthc/tranny install

So I am dropping the engine in and I am only concerned with the reinstallation of the clutch and fork,..is there a straight forward way to get the fork correctly on the clutch/flywheel...and is there anything I need to be aware of when dropping in the engine and installing everything???...Also installing New OBX header and FULL exhaust!
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #2
Scrrem

Default Re: Just a little help with cluthc/tranny install

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricale View Post
So I am dropping the engine in and I am only concerned with the reinstallation of the clutch and fork,..is there a straight forward way to get the fork correctly on the clutch/flywheel...and is there anything I need to be aware of when dropping in the engine and installing everything???...Also installing New OBX header and FULL exhaust!
Dempsy,
The clutch install is pretty simple...red locktite on the FW to crankshaft bolts, torque to spec. Mount pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing, use alignment tool, torque to spec. Leave the fork in the forward position placing the ears over the throwout bearing, mount bell housing and torque. Using a large screwdriver, snap the fork into place. If you get in a pinch, give me a call, time hear in HI is 5 hours behind you though...
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Scrrem; 03-02-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #3
VetteMed

I just did this last week, once you see how the parts are aligned it's fairly intuitive, IMHO. The sides of the release bearing are squared off, and that's where the fingers of the clutch fork ride.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #4
oricale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
Dempsy,
The clutch install is pretty simple...red locktite on the FW to crankshaft bolts, torque to spec. Mount pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing, use alignment tool, torque to spec. Leave the fork in the forward position placing the ears over the throwout bearing, mount bell housing and torque. Using a large screwdriver, snap the fork into place. If you get in a pinch, give me a call, time hear in HI is 5 hours behind you though...
Rich

clutch alignment tool???
......uhhhh... substitute??
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #5
VetteMed

theres really no substitute but the tool is cheap, 10 bucks or so at any parts store. just have to get the right spline count. using the tool makes it much easier to get the input shaft of the trans into position.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #6
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricale View Post
clutch alignment tool???
......uhhhh... substitute??
Plastic dummy that is used to align the clutch parts with the crank end. So that tranny can be installed easily. Usually comes in the box with new clutch. Be sure to get one that matches your clutch/engine combo. I'm not sure how much they vary.

Substitute- Spare input shaft from another identical ZF6. Bet you don't have one of those lying around )

Also, beware that clutch throw out bearings are different inside diameters between ZF6 Blue tag, and Black tag Transmissions. So, a late model Blue trans will not fit an early model Black clutch T. Bearing. So take your T. bearing and slide it on the input shaft to make sure it fits before final assembly. Don't ask how I know this

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.

Last edited by Bob Eyres; 03-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote