ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-14-2010   #1
pantera1683

Default Banski Rear Suspension Impressions

Earlier this year I replaced all of the rubber bushings in the front with polys. I also replaced the rear sway bar mounts, endlinks, and spring mounts. As a result, the front of the car felt really smooth over bumps but the rear still needed attention.

With this in mind, I ordered Banski's complete rear end kit. I completed the install a couple weeks ago and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and workmanship of their kit. It consisted of the toe rod assembly, strut rods, and trailing arms. Installation was simple and straightforward and took me a about 8 hours from start to finish. I took my time and thankfully there weren't any surprises.

After driving the Z every day since the installation I am ecstatic with the results. The first thing I noticed is how well and easily the suspension articulated. By jouncing each rear corner of the car, I could see the shocks working as tey were intended without any resistance in travel. Before, I tried to avoid every bump or rut in the road because of the rattles and harshness. Now, she rides smooth over bumps and the rattles are pretty much gone. I would say the ride now is almost as smooth as a new car's.

Bottom line is I recommend the Banski kit. If you are considering upgrading your rear suspension you should look into their kit.

Here is a link to Banski's website with pictures and prices Banski Suspension Kit

Last edited by pantera1683; 12-14-2010 at 12:22 PM.
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #2
DaveK

Default Re: Banski Rear Suspension Impressions

Thanks for the write up. Out of interest what did you go with on the front?

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #3
mgbrv8

Any pictures of the installation and end result?

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #4
pantera1683

I went with Energy Suspension's black polys on the front. The only rubber suspension items I have on the car now are the power steering rack bushings and the batwing mounts.

I didn't take any photos on the installation but once I wash her I will take some. I also used lowering bolts in the rear so my wheel gap is only about two inches and looks .
Old 12-16-2010   #5
tomtom72

I would like to say Thank You also for sharing this with the Brotherhood!

I was thinking about their stuff for this winter. I did the front over last winter & the Tech said that my rear stuff was still okay in that there was nothing torn up or worn out from age yet. So he told me to save the money for now.

I was thinking of using Banski's stuff plus DRM's relocation brackets for the Dog Bones. Anyway, thanks for your info on their products. The stuff looked to be quality, and the reasoning seemed logical....the only thing holding me back was the cash.....maybe next winter.

Thanks again for sharing!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #6
pantera1683

Tom,

I contacted Tom Urban the owner of Banski back in November and asked if he would run a sale for the holidays and he said that he didn't plan to but he did offer to price match one of his competitors, which was a significant discount. Email him and maybe he can do the same for you.

The more I drive the Z the more I am impressed with the rear suspension. It really does make driving a pleasure. My car only has 37k pampered miles so the suspension was far from worn. I now realize the stiff suspension and rattles must have been attributed to my car's 16 year old petrified rubber suspension pieces. Now that the rear suspension can work as intended the car drives almost as smooth as my old 01 ZO6. It still feels like a sports car but now I don't have to go out of my way to avoid road imperfections.

Like yours my rear suspension looked fine but you would not believe the night and day difference in driving the car now.

I didn't mention before but I also installed the Seals-It rod end boots since my car is basically a daily driver. They were a pain to install but well worth the effort to keep the dirt out and extend the life of the rod end bearings.

When I took the car in for alignment the tech was pretty impressed with the kit and said it was extremely easy to align. It only took him about half an hour.
Old 12-16-2010   #7
DaveK

Sounds like a good upgrade - thanks for sharing the information and your impressions. I have similar problems with rattle and the stiffness in my car and also avoid the road imperfections (which we have a LOT of around here!) - definitely one to add to the list by the sound of it.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #8
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1683 View Post
he did offer to price match one of his competitors, which was a significant discount.
My ZR-1 is also low mileage. Although it rides fine I've had a problem I've been unable to correct with the rear end ride heigth. My next approach was going to be to rebuild the back end suspension using Banski parts. It's nice to hear the Banski parts have turned out well for you. Would you mind sharing the commetitors name and product talked with Banski about?

Thanks.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #9
pantera1683

Sure, the competitor was Vette Brake and Products and the product is the complete rear end kit with racing rod ends.
Old 12-16-2010   #10
VetteMed

Damn, I paid full price for my Banski rear setup earlier in the fall. Figures
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote