ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 01-14-2011   #1
vandornjim

Default A Great Friend Has Passed

For those of you who might be interested, Paul Zazarine passed away January 3rd. Paul was a very good friend of the ZR-1 since day one. Paul was one of the media invitees that attended and experienced the Geneva Press Show back in 1989. He also had something to do with resurrecting one of the crushed ZR-1 prototype convertibles from the UK.
I met Paul back in 1992 when we had our first west coast ZR-1 event at the Millard Fillmore in Tempe AZ. Don Fisher and I had invited Dave McLellan and we interviewed him for the ZR-1 Registry newsletter. After we did the interview, Paul came up to me and asked who we were and what we were doing with the Chief Engineer and I explained. He asked if he could buy the article when we were done with it and he introduced himself as the Editor of Corvette Fever Magazine!
Later I sent him the article and Paul asked if I might write some other ZR-1 related articles and news for CF and that was the beginning of my writing career. He once told me not to change a word in my articles because I wrote in a comfortable "conversational style" which he enjoyed. I wrote some 30+ feature articles covering technical items, events and most memorably, our Thunder At Stillwater LT5 Homecoming, The Legend Lives Last ZR-1 ceremony, and my trip to LeMans with Doug Rippie in 1995. If the truth be known, Paul was a backbone of support to all of us doing things in the Corvette hobby.
I also wrote for Chevy Truck Magazine when Zazarine was involved with that launch. Paul knew I was all ZR-1 and challenged me to find an article about Chevy trucks and ZR-1's. I called the Mesa Proving Grounds and Jim Contes offered me the chance to do a complete article on the "?Submarine". A Chevy Suburban with a Mercury Marine LT5 in it. Later, at Bowling Green, I was given the Submarine to drive for an entire weeknd. J
Paul called me once and asked if I was interested in his press kit from Geneva. Duh? We made an agreement and he sent me the entire kit which included the letter Chevrolet sent out inviting him to the show, a black leather "flight bag" with a Corvette logo on it, the hard bound press kit w/slides, brochures, plane tickets everything he had saved from that grand debut. Paul also had a private collection of slides he took in Europe. He sent them to me one time and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Some had pics of breakdowns and remedies, scenic places, local residents and lots of goofing off by the whole crew.
One day I told Paul we were thinking of going racing with a ZR-1. He gave me some valuable advice and then offered to cover us in CF. He asked what our name was and I told him we didn't have one yet. He asked if we had any GM support and I told him no. Then he said, "So you guys are going solo as privateers huh? Do you know who were the most famous privateers of all time were?" I had no clue.
"They were the Pirates!!" He said. So, Pirate Racing was born in 1998. We raced until 2001 when SCCA handicapped us so badly we couldn't win. Paul was with us for the entire journey.
Paul also served on the NCM Board as one of their first Directors, then later sought the manager's position but ran into some political obstacles with the NCM regime.
Although his all time favorite brand was Pontiac, Paul Zazarine was a true car guy and a big fan of the ZR-1 from day one. He was a true friend.
Paul passed away from heart failure and is survived by his wife Alexis and daughter Trina. He will be greatly missed.
God Speed Zaz.
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399

Last edited by vandornjim; 01-14-2011 at 08:09 AM.
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #2
Z Factor

Default Re: A Great Friend Has Passed

It is sad to hear about fellow ZR-1 brethren passing on, especially those who contributed to the community with their time and energy.

We can only hope he is doing 180+ up stairs as his new and eternal life begins.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #3
FU

Thumbs up Re: A Great Friend Has Passed

RIP Paul.Condolences for his family.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life's short guys. These rented suits we live in are due back at the cleaners much sooner than we like , use them well.

Open heart surgery taught me some things. One is that there are 2 types of people in this world. Procrastinators' save things for tomorrow and worry about what it will bring.
Me , I'm going to exit this world sliding on the ice bare *** laughing knowing that I enjoyed every second and every one.

Last edited by FU; 01-14-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #4
jcruz

There was a memorial for him today in Orlando. Anyone go?
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #5
GrayZ

RIP
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #6
Corvettes White

Loved his work, Whenever his name was attached, it was a good read. RIP, George
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #7
Rex Ruby

Heard this watching the BJ auctions this week.
Always enjoyed his contributions to the hobby.
Didn't realize his level of support of the ZR1.
Sympathies to his family and friends.

'93 Ruby Coupe ZF6 - Muffler eliminators, Blink Blink kit and Polished ZR1 Wheels
* PA Plate: OBSSSN

'06 LeMans Blue C6 Coupe - Corsa exhaust
* PA Plate: OBSSSV

ZR1 Net Registry Founding Member #153
40th Anniversary Registry Member
NCM Family Membership #8116
Corvette Forum NE Events Coordinator
Delco Cruisers Board of Directors
SAVE THE WAVE!
Rex Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote