ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-12-2014   #1
GOLDCYLON

Default Hauntingly familar secondary failure #3

Most are familiar with this post of mine. I present the 3rd documented failure of the secondary screws

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ght=compelling

I present yet once again another secondary screw failure and the result on the number 8 piston. For those doubting Thomas's out there. Background.. a local mechanic and friend of mine is currently working on a local ZR-1 customer (No idea who the customer is) and contacts me for advise, parts finding etc for the ZR-1. Yank the secondary's folks. GC

GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 01-12-2014 at 04:33 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #2
LGAFF

Default Re: Hautingly familar secondary failure #2

I think the same happened to 90 #702, the engine I purchased, same damage
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #3
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Hauntingly familar secondary failure #2

That makes 4 that I know about then Lee

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 01-12-2014   #4
John Boothby

I would yank my secondaries, but I don't know how that would affect the smog check? As it is, if I forget to turn the power key off, I fail the smog check. With the power key off it passes.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #5
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby View Post
I would yank my secondaries, but I don't know how that would affect the smog check? As it is, if I forget to turn the power key off, I fail the smog check. With the power key off it passes.
Your right John depends on the State. Sniffer test I would say yes. Treadmill no way in hades.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 01-12-2014   #6
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
That makes 4 that I know about then Lee
4 out of 7,000 aren't we crying wolf a bit early?
Old 01-12-2014   #7
efnfast

I think I asked before, but what are the down sides of yanking them.
Might be an issue with emitions (sp).
Certainly not OEM, or NCRS.
Needs a chip reprogram.
?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
4 out of 7,000 aren't we crying wolf a bit early?
Kevin there are no where near 7000 left maybe 5500 after crashed and parts out. regardless its a thing to consider if your are getting head work done and a while your are there type of thing like replacing a headgasket. My argument is not to start taking your car apart. I am simply presenting 4 cases with documentation that we know about. How many that we don't know about? Would you rather be educated about the possibly or not or have the wolf bite you in the full point of contact later? GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 01-12-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2014   #9
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
I think I asked before, but what are the down sides of yanking them.
Might be an issue with emitions (sp).
Certainly not OEM, or NCRS.
Needs a chip reprogram.
?
None expect emissions as a possibility. Yes maybe a chip reprogram if your doing headwork, you are removing the code 61 (secondary failure) for ever and cleanup a lot of room under the plenum, No more actuators its a total win. Cliffs done a great writeup on the process in his solutions pages. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 01-12-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2014   #10
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Most are familiar with this post of mine. I present the 3rd documented failure of the secondary screws
Daryll......you definitely need one of these Whistler Wireless Inspection Camera 9mm Model IC-3709PX or comparable to put your mind at ease.....that is what I got it for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I have a Whistler Wireless Inspection Camera 9mm Model IC-3709PX. The camera probe will fit easily into a spark plug port. With the piston at BDC you can actually place a bend in the camera probe cable and by rotating the camera probe cable can look at the side walls of the cylinder. The tops of the pistons can be visually inspected 360 deg.

One can insert the camera probe between the runners and above/below the fuel rail inspecting all sorts of items under the plenum. You can even watch the secondaries function as you like hot wiring Pin C17 with a Pin Probe as described by Marc Haibeck Secondary Operation without removing the Plenum
And You can use the inspection camera to look at brake pads, under the dash in places you can only stick a screw driver poking the camera probe between wiring to look beyond wiring, inspection of front cover for leaks, inspection of water pump for leaks, inspection of front seal, inspection for bolts dropped and caught between headers, checking smoothness of secondary operation, inspection of vacuum hoses under plenum, inspection of wiring under plenum, and if you want you can inspect inside your differential case after you have drained the fluid (same with transmission, and oil pan), and especially inspection for those very hard to find oil leaks around the OPRV (Oil Pressure Regulating Valve Cover)

Tech Info - Marc Haibeck on LT5 Eliminated Secondaries

Marc Haibeck mentioned to me some time ago....Haibeck Automotive Technology
Removing the secondaries is not a bad idea. Marc dyno tested removing the secondary throttles and found no significant changes.

Marc suggested there are three situations where removing the secondaries are useful.
1. If you are having a problem with them that you can't fix, they can be eliminated.
2. If you can't find a repair part.
3. If you have removed them to port the heads, you can save time and not reinstall them.

Marc also mentioned that removing the secondaries does not effect the idle, fuel economy or torque over 1500 rpm. Having the secondaries in place might be an advantage for an emission test.

Further, with the elimination of the secondary port throttle control the engine idles on the primary injector only. When the main throttle is opened to about 1/2% or more the secondary fuel injector activates. This usually happens while the clutch is being slipped to drive away, typically the engine is running on both fuel injectors before the clutch fully engages. Once the throttle is more than 1/2% open the flow split between the primary and secondary injectors is the same as the OE value of 50%-50% and in sync with each other.

I might also mention eliminating the associated vacuum system and secondary cannisters gets rid of a lot of potential failures later on and makes for a clean looking LT5 installation.

Also keep in mind eliminating the air injection system may have ramifications in regard to a SMOG check depending which State you reside. I have also eliminated the original Exhaust Manifolds and CATS which would be required in some States for SMOG check success.

See LT5 Eliminated Systems

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-12-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote