ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-28-2011   #1
Torchred96

Default Replaced my blower fan and now I'm getting serious!!

No air volume, changed the fan to an ac delco from ebay...marginal improvement.

With the inspiration of an old post on the CF from Purplec4 showing a completely clogged evaporator, i decided it's worth a shot, since I just cant live without cold ac, and if I can't fix it, then I may just part with the car since most people say these ac's are marginal anyway. I know some of you who live in other states don't need ac at all, but here in sunny, humid sf..good ac is a must. But I still can't believe that Chevy would let a car leave the factory with an ac without enough force to blow out a match!

Purplec4's solution is to split the case leaving the inside case closest to the engine in place, and pull off the passenger side, then clean the coils with air, water, brake cleaner etc...Open to cleaning tips here..

So, I'm delving into it.

Took out antifreeze tank,blower motor, inner fender, side gill, windshield washer fluid bottle, square support arm that goes to the frame and I'm two small bolts away from pulling off the outside blower housing which i think I have to go down below the car to get to.

Even though I can see the outside of the evap fins without taking off the cover and it doesn't LOOK too bad, I'm inspired because it looks as though the inside of the fins may be clogged.

Wish me luck..i'm hoping for gale force ac when I'm done!

Last edited by Torchred96; 09-28-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Replaced my blower fan and now I'm getting serious!!

Did you replace the AC/blower Controller rectifier? Its next to the blower on the top of the suitcase and you guessed it..... it controls the speed of the motor?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #3
Torchred96

Well, no, I didnt test it, but I did measure the voltage at the plug and it was 13.9 and 14.1 depending on if the radiator fan was running....and the new fan was only marginally better, if at all.
Old 09-29-2011   #4
a1991zr1

I HAVE THE SAME FRICKIN PROBLEM WITH MY 91 NO POWER TO FAN IT WILL INCREASE IN SPEED BUT THE VOLUME OF AIR MOVEMENT SUCKS

- Dale Earnhardt
:saluting:
a1991zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #5
Torchred96

Okay, so I got it all disassembled and found it to be pretty dirty..

I cleaned it with water, carb cleaner, high pressure air compressor and even vacuum cleaner..

So, I decided to see if any air was actually getting through the fins...I put the vacuum cleaner on blow and put it up to the evaporator and ....hardly any air came through the other side....

I don't recommend this, but I did it..I pushed a wire tie through the fins through to the other side...Well, some of them went right through and others didnt go at all. I'm pretty sure the evaporator is still clogged but Its going back together as it is for now and hopefully its better than it was.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2011   #6
Torchred96

a1991z, I cant take it..The heat is horrible in south florida and it makes driving the z in the sun...NO FUN.

One thing I did do is took out the screens (plural) behind the evaporator on the engine side..

I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me why I shouldn't have, but to me, it's just another obstruction.

Okay, I did something else before I put it back together because I didnt think it was gonna be any better than before. .Since I tried to put tie wraps all the way through the evaporator (to clean out the obstructions) and some of them went through and others didn't, I assumed that it was because of dirt....so what I did was took a thin file and pushed it through the fins..Id say I did about 70% of them pushing all the way through..

After I was done, i put a light on the engine side of the evaporator and was able to see a lot of light through the evaporator.

I am really thinking that these evaporators are bad from the factory.

Anyway, I expect to see an improvement at least in air flow..

I know many of you won't like my solution, but if I get more volume of air to flow through, I get to keep the car...that's a win win situation for me.

thanks for reading.

Last edited by Torchred96; 09-29-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2011   #7
Torchred96

I couldn't wait to try it..so I put the fan back in, hooked it up and...crap started blowing through the vents at me...That's a good thing!!..That the junk came out with enough force to actually hit me!!!!

I estimate about 50% more flow than before..I think I did okay..Tomorrow, I will put it all back together and take it for a test drive.

I've concluded that in my case, the fan was not the problem and that a clogged evaporator was. If you cant get flow through the evaporator, it aint gonna get through the vents.
Old 09-29-2011   #8
USAFPILOT

why not just replace the evaporator?
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #9
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred96 View Post
I couldn't wait to try it..so I put the fan back in, hooked it up and...crap started blowing through the vents at me...That's a good thing!!..That the junk came out with enough force to actually hit me!!!!

I estimate about 50% more flow than before..I think I did okay..Tomorrow, I will put it all back together and take it for a test drive.

I've concluded that in my case, the fan was not the problem and that a clogged evaporator was. If you cant get flow through the evaporator, it aint gonna get through the vents.

Actually I beleive it was a combination of these factors. Replacing at 20 year old fan motor and cleaning out your system did not hurt.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #10
Torchred96

Dont forget 132k miles.

Usapilot: I didnt change the evaporator because:

1) I didn't know if that was going to solve the airflow problem.
2) I saw a thread in the cf that detailed cleaning it out.
3) It was already 7 at night before I started the project and no parts stores were open by the time I got to it.
4) I'd have to break the system open, , buy a $200 evaporator and then pay someone another however much to replace my accumulator, evacuate it , and recharge the system. So, that's probababy about $400 worth of reasons that I did for free.

Also, everyone says that these systems are bad right from the factory, Well, I'm pretty sure I found a way around that.... The answer for me, at least was to sacrifice slightly less cool air for volume. I don't know if a new evap would have gotten the volume I havde now, I've never seen a new zr1 or one with low miles on it for that matter. You have to decide if it is worth it to you. Plus, I didn't want to experiment with a brand new evaporator. I can always put a new one in...I bet I can do it in half the time ..but fixed costs are fixed costs. This one was free.

Those $500 dollar bills start to add up quickly to the point where it'd be better buying a low mile car if you don't do things yourself.

So far, since owning the car, I've bought injectors, a MH chip and gaskets for the job, and a blower motor.

The idea here is to not blow a fortune on a car I spent $8900 for.
Hey, at least, I'm not parting it out.

Last edited by Torchred96; 09-29-2011 at 11:52 AM.