ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-15-2007   #1
DaveK

Question What if...

Just thinking. If GM had carried on with the ZR-1/LT-5 etc. what features would everyone like to see in a 'new' ZR-1 now.

My list would be something like.

- Appearance close to the C4, prefer the longer look to the C5s & C6s
- 427 CI Quad OHC, wouldnt change much really on basic design
- approx 600 bhp
- Individual coil packs
- 6 speed semi-automatic transmission
- Stiffer chassis using the frame rail technology of the C5/6
- Displacement on demand to keep the fuel bills down when cruising
- Fully active suspension
- Launch control
- Carbon fibre body
- Titanium alloy in key areas
- analog instruments
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #2
Aurora40

Default Re: What if...

Well, some of the things the Northstar has, and other GM technologies that will likely show up on the Northstar in the future would most likely have shown up on a modern LT5:
  • coil-on-plug ignition
  • composite intake manifold
  • variable valve timing (might be very different on the N* than today if they'd gone ahead with the Lotus style they were experimenting with instead of the cam phasing type on the current N*)
  • direct injection
  • supercharged and intercooled possibly
  • 6-speed auto option

I suspect things like active suspension wouldn't happen in favor of Magnetic Ride Control. Body and weight improvments would likely be like the C6 Z06.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #3
4DSZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40
....6-speed auto option
As long as we're dreaming, I say the 7-speed ZF in the BMW M5... electric shift manual, 80 miliseconds shifts. hoooorah
4DSZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #4
tpepmeie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DSZR1
As long as we're dreaming, I say the 7-speed ZF in the BMW M5... electric shift manual, 80 miliseconds shifts. hoooorah
Yes, those come with an alarming rate of failures! Fortunately mine has not shown the dreaded red cog of death Malfunction light.

Back on topic, I think variable valve timing was a given, as well as dual MAF, surely electronic throttle control, perhaps individual butterflies.

To match the best from Munich in terms of specific output, the car would have to come stock with at least 520 hp @ 7000 rpm (350 cid). Certainly not too far-fetched, given current offerings.

Todd
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #5
Aurora40

Was looking at this for an unrelated thing. The Northstar was somewhat similar to the LT5, at least in basic design, when it came out in '93. Here are some of the improvements they made in 2000:

Quote:
Revised combustion chambers are superior to previous designs in terms of both tumble motion of the incoming fuel-air mixture and burn rate. The intake and exhaust valves have been resized. Larger intake valves improve the engine’s breathing ability, while smaller exhaust valves increase flow velocity, an aid to catalyst light off.

While the new combustion chamber design helps maximize fuel efficiency, even larger gains are made by the addition of roller-follower devices between each cam lobe and valve stem. Compared to the previous Northstar’s direct valve actuation, the result is a substantial reduction in friction. During moderate driving conditions, the torque necessary to turn Northstar’s four camshafts is reduced by 50 percent or more.

The Northstar also benefits from a new ignition system that delivers power to the spark plugs directly instead of through wiring. A cassette containing four ignition coils linked by short secondary leads to adjoining spark plugs now attaches atop each cylinder head cover.

In addition to improved reliability, the new ignition system permits scheduling the magnitude of the voltage sent to the spark plugs. High voltage is used during full-load, high rpm and heavy EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) conditions to guarantee complete combustion. The energy level is reduced to minimize electrical loads and radio frequency interference during light-load conditions, such as medium speed cruising. The result is extended spark-plug life and a peak energy capacity that is 130 percent higher than the system it replaced.
From: http://media.gm.com/division/cadilla...e/00press.html
Former owner of #2517

Old 03-06-2007   #6
Bell Curve

Cool Re: What if...

Bell Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #7
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK
- 6 speed semi-automatic transmission
To bad the GM auto 6 sped is garbage.
Old 03-06-2007   #8
DaveK

So if they improved the Northstar so much how come my 98 Aurora with nearly 2 litres less engine is no more fuel efficient than my 91 ZR-1

Is the GM 6 Speed that bad Jeff? I've read mixed write ups on them.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #9
Aurora40

Quote:
So if they improved the Northstar so much how come my 98 Aurora with nearly 2 litres less engine is no more fuel efficient than my 91 ZR-1

Because those changes were made in 2000. As far as fuel economy, your ZR-1 doesn't weigh 3967 lbs or have an automatic tranny. Also, what kind of driving do you do? I get about ~20mpg on average in my '02 Aurora, and about ~15mpg on average in the ZR-1, both mostly just commuting to work (15 mile drive, takes about 30 mins).

I'm sure on the highway cruising the limit, the Z would top the Aurora due to the smaller frontal area, similar Cd, much taller gearing, and probably less driveline loss (though the tires vs the auto with lockup might be a tossup)
Former owner of #2517

Last edited by Aurora40; 03-06-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2007   #10
Jeffvette

Quote:
It's a damn tiptronic. It's basically a shiftable auto (think of just going from 1 to 2 to D and then OD). If it was clutch based like the units Ferrari used, it would be soooooo much better.