ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-05-2020   #1
davidijaxson

Default Tire question

The ZR-1 which I purchased over the weekend is in need of new tires. The old ones have a lot of tread but are over 10 years old.

I will be using the car primarily on weekends for pleasure drives so am guessing that I will put a maximum of a few hundred miles per month on her and probably not that much. I would also like to do a track day in the next year. Given that the tires will most probably have to be replaced in the future because of age and not wear I have a couple of questions.

1. What tires do you believe would be best for my use?

2. Do you experience flat spotting of tires if you car is not driven for a number of weeks? If so what are the options to minimize it?

Thanks for sharing your expertise,
davidijaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020   #2
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Tire question

1- Good Year GS D3 Eagles

2- Michelin 285 front 335 rear

3- Nitto

99- sumitomo
Maybe I am being a little too tough on the sumi's,
Inexpensive, narrower, but inexpensive.

As for flat spot prevention:
1- drive the car often

2-https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/tire-storage-flat-stoppers-race-ramps.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos= 1o9&scid=scplp25-253707-1&sc_intid=25-253707-1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIusqzjaG75wIVlIzICh0I1gxyEAQYCS ABEgJ3tPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020   #3
Mr Blue

I went with Nitto NT555G2 and do not regret it. I have done three years of Touring laps at the Gathering and they have held up well. Not a track tire, but a good compromise and they perform well when it is wet. The price is significantly less than Goodyear and Michelin. A great tire for the money. I had older Kuhmo's on the car when I bought it. They were hard, but I had no experience with them when they were new.

David
Mr Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020   #4
rush91

I just went with Nittos NT555G2s and it is a good all around tire for what I need. Goodyears will run you the most money, I never have had them so I can't say how they are. I had Sumitomos on the car when I bought it, and it is a good cruising tire. But that's about it. Traction with the Sumitomos is non-existent.....

As far as flat spotting the tires, it will happen if sat for a month or longer. Nothing I've found that a good drive wont fix with-in a few miles.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue View Post
I went with Nitto NT555G2 and do not regret it. I have done three years of Touring laps at the Gathering and they have held up well. Not a track tire, but a good compromise and they perform well when it is wet. The price is significantly less than Goodyear and Michelin. A great tire for the money. I had older Kuhmo's on the car when I bought it. They were hard, but I had no experience with them when they were new.

David
+1 on the Nittos. I have been using them - on my 3rd set in 10 years.

Our 2 Zs have the 285 555 G2s on the front, and the 315 555r (drag radials) on the rear. I rarely drag race, but the Nitto drag radials DO stick much better than the GY GS D3s do, and I find the combo do 'behave'*quite well (IMO) in the mountain twisties and up to ~ 50 mph in a straight line in heavy rain.

*when they loose traction, there is nothing sudden or unexpected. They just begin to skid gradually, thus requiring normal steering and throttle adjustment: no sudden panic maneuvers required!

As for the GY GS D3s, Road and Track (10+ years ago) did a comparison of many sport tires in which the GY GS D3s performed very well between dry and wet grip. IIRC, they rated ~ .9± on dry and something like .85 on the wet skid pad. (I had a situation where the wet grip saved my bacon when meeting another car that had drifted across into my lane on a wet curve. I was already "pushing the limits" myself and had to suddenly crank in A LOT more turn to avoid a head-on crash. Those GY GS D3s took it all in stride w/o a hint of slipping. WOW! Was I impressed!)

By switching to the Nitto drag radials, my launching traction at the 1/4 mile contests was much better than the "D3s", true. But, w/ the "G2s" on the front to plow aside the sheeting water, I could live with compromising the wet performance of the "D3s" for the few times I got caught in the rain.

I hear good things about the Michelin P2s, but bigger wheels (bigger than 17") might be needed to fit them (e.g., 18"/19" staggered wheels is common). Hib Halverson may have some print data on other tire options for both street and track tires he may have researched.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020   #6
lfalzarano

I recommend the Michelin’s as Marty recommends, but I know from experience they are far superior than the Goodyear GS D3’s in all performance categories. But the Nitto’s are the choice for drag and street use. Sumo’s are the low value alternative tires if you won’t be pushing your Z close to its limits. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 02-06-2020   #7
davidijaxson

I ordered a set of NT 555GS today. I am scared to drive on the old tires I have now.
davidijaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020   #8
WARP TEN

Put the Michelins on my '95 back in 2013. It came with Sumis and they could never get balanced right. Finally had a shop in BG with a Road Force Elite do them and they said one of the Sumis was so far out of spec from the manufacturer that it could never be properly balanced. A big plus on the Michelins was that they were available through Costco and a very good price and they had no trouble installing and balancing them. The ride was much improved as well. Very happy I got them.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 02-09-2020 at 11:36 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020   #9
mpiecyk

Yes, Michelin's.
mpiecyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020   #10
Vetman

I put Michelins on my 1990 in 2013. Still on with 16,000 miles. Love the handling. Show very little wear!!! However not raced.
2011 cts-v 556 HP, manual 6 speed
1955 chev 2dr ht PP 265 3 speed w/OD
Vetman is offline   Reply With Quote