ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-08-2019   #1
cbaclawski

Default Finally got my Z to behave on Track!

This is my 4th thread on the matter in the last year or so, so I both thank those who have helped, and apologize to those long tired of hearing about it!

Car handled beautifully, and boy is it fast! I had a great time driving it!

One caveat though. The stock(but recently replaced) front brakes are just not up to the task of a renowned "brake eater" track like the one I was at. (Carolinas Motorsports Park in Kershaw SC). I was running Hawk DTC 70 pads and Motul 660 fluid, but they still gave up, albeit slowly throughout the day...

I want to upgrade them, but don't want to break the bank as this is not my primary track weapon. Looking at the rotor and the size of the pads, I think I need something with a bigger swipe area.

I have a couple friends, one with stock C5 z06 calipers, and the other with stock c6 z06 calipers that they'd give me for free. I know there is an adapter needed, and I'd need new rotors and pads, but which one would be better performing? Also, will I need a new master, or is there a better master I don't "need" but would "want"?

Thanks as always!

Curt
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Finally got my Z to behave on Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaclawski View Post

I want to upgrade them, but don't want to break the bank as this is not my primary track weapon. Looking at the rotor and the size of the pads, I think I need something with a bigger swipe area.

I have a couple friends, one with stock C5 z06 calipers, and the other with stock c6 z06 calipers that they'd give me for free. I know there is an adapter needed, and I'd need new rotors and pads, but which one would be better performing? Also, will I need a new master, or is there a better master I don't "need" but would "want"?

Thanks as always!

Curt
Post 41 - ZR-1 (90' and 91') Wilwood Rotors and C4 to C5-Z06 Conversion

Post 233 - Installation of Wilwood Rotors and C4 to C5-Z06 Conversion

Post 122 - Wilwood C5 Z06 Brake Conversion with Sawblades

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-08-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019   #3
RussMcB

That's great (but you didn't tell us what you changed to make it behave).
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019   #4
XfireZ51

Depending on what year ZR, u may not need to change brake booster for C6Z brakes. Mine is a 92. A bit pricey but would do both front and rear. Less expensive if u don’t care about eBrake.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019   #5
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
That's great (but you didn't tell us what you changed to make it behave).
I am sure the alignment helped, but I'm pretty sure what put it over the top was the real wheels and tire set I got from you!
Old 12-08-2019   #6
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Depending on what year ZR, u may not need to change brake booster for C6Z brakes. Mine is a 92. A bit pricey but would do both front and rear. Less expensive if u don’t care about eBrake.
Def don't care about eBrake. Would almost prefer not to have it so I don't accidentally set it when it's hot!
Old 12-08-2019   #7
cbaclawski

Since I first posted this, I went outside and gave it a once over, and noticed a brake fluid leak on the passenger side front caliper at the banjo bolt, and the front fluid reservoir is down about 2/3 way from "max".

I can't imagine this helped. The car was stopping straight, so I really didn't think there could have been a leak on one side, but in retrospect, that would effect pressure in the whole system. In fairness to me, I was managing 2 other cars yesterday(that others were driving). As soon as I get my Draftkings lineups in, I will investigate further.

The remaining fluid still tests fine - so I don't think I boiled it, and there was no leakage in normal driving or during the bleed. I'm assuming the leak started when the temp got high...

Regardless, I'm going to upgrade the calipers. This car will be pretty darn quick with decent braking performance!

Curt
Old 12-08-2019   #8
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
It's a 90. Based on my research so far, I'm leaning in the c5 direction. looks like all I'd need is an adapter bracket and c5 rotors. (and possibly spacers and longer studs - I have the "salad shooter" front wheels...

Thank you Dynomite for those links, I really don't like drilled or slotted rotors, but it's great information anyway!
Old 12-08-2019   #9
RussMcB

I'm glad it's working well for you now. That must be crazy driving and supporting 3 cars at once. You're either extremely talented or crazy (or a good bit of both). :-)

That brake fluid leak is encouraging. So, maybe the stock set up is pretty good, but it sounds like you're already excited about the brakes upgrade. Go for it.

So, how are you telling us about these events and not posting pictures?! What do the youngsters say today? "Pics or it didn't happen"? :-)
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019   #10
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I'm glad it's working well for you now. That must be crazy driving and supporting 3 cars at once. You're either extremely talented or crazy (or a good bit of both). :-)

That brake fluid leak is encouraging. So, maybe the stock set up is pretty good, but it sounds like you're already excited about the brakes upgrade. Go for it.

So, how are you telling us about these events and not posting pictures?! What do the youngsters say today? "Pics or it didn't happen"? :-)

Well, You've seen my lack of talent firsthand, so that only leaves on option. I invited 3 guys, fully expecting them all to decline, to my surprise 2 said yes and I had to improvise.

Yeah, the leak was worse than it first appeared. I walked outside in the garage late last night just to smoke a cigarette. While I was out there I had the bright idea of tightening the banjo bolt. As soon as I touched it, it just spun freely and started hemorrhaging fluid. Took me an hour to get the bolt out and the fluid to stop leaking out the now un-attached brake line. The bolt looks fine, but the caliper threads are stripped. It's a minor miracle this didn't happen on track.

Because there was too little pressure in the front due to the leak, the rears were working overtime, and I was essentially dragging the brakes all day. Fairly new DTC-70 pads are toast! For now I am going to get a replacement stock caliper and put some street pads on it(all around - which I already have). Since I can get the c5 calipers free, and the rotors are cheap, I'm going to wait to buy new race pads until I do the upgrade. (the pads will cost way more than the adapter bracket and c5 rotors)

I think without the leak, the Stock calipers would have been fine, but since the c5's are free and relatively easy to install, I figure I might as well do the upgrade...

here's a pic just to prove it happened, lol