ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 08-27-2009   #1
WB9MCW

Default Corvette FOR SALE SCAM

It seems that the corvette community has been getting a lot of this one scam as of late. The guys on the NET posted some being approached and they were not even selling at present.

Here is the story I went through two years ago

When I was selling my 84 I had one of these schemers try to get me.

Here is how it works--

They send you a very nice Bank Draft Check that looks legit for the price of your vette and extra $$ to pay the hauling company for the delivery.

The check they send you is a forgery. You deposit it in your account thinking it is legit.

They tell you they can't get by to pick up the vette like they thought but need you to send the extra $$ via wire to the hauling company office and they will send a man soon to pick up the vette.

You figure it is all good because you have been paid already.

They get your wire transfer and have your money.

Buy the time your bank contacts you to tell you that the originating bank has told them that the check is no good and is a forgery it is all over and you are screwed.

You are left holding the empty bag and out all the wire x-fer $$$.

Sad part is that they never had the desire to even buy your vette but just to scam you all along.

You still have your vette at least but are now out of all that $$$ and still have to sell your vette you thought you had sold.

It is a really bad scam that totally sucks. I was told that the Bank Draft forgery check is easy to do with the digital copy machines these days.

The guy that was contacting me was out of Canada -- Quebec to be exact.

The deal sounded funny -- the part about sending me the $$$ to pass along to the hauling company driver so I contacted a good friend of mine and he knew this scam so I did not go through any pain myself.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #2
blackjack

Default Re: Corvette FOR SALE SCAM

i know what you mean...i got scre..ed selling a corvette seat...from what the rcmp told me,they often are immigrants from the middle east that worship their god,but dont listen to him !!
bj
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #3
John Boothby

This is an old scam and it isn't linked to just vette's. I had a Harley for sale about 3 or 4 years ago and got a call from a guy in Canada. He said he worked for a broker and needed the bike shipped to Germany for a show. He said he would pay my price plus send extra ($9,000!) to cover shipping. Catch was had to be shipped immediately to get there by show time. Scam was by the time the check bounced, the bike would have been in Germany and I would have lost cost of shipping. I even talked to this guy on the telephone. I could not find any info on his brokerage, so I did not bite! The clue was that he did not even quibble about the price!
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #4
WB9MCW

Had you went for it they would have called you to say that the shipment people were not ready yet and asked for you to wire the 9K to their office. Later they would have the shipping company come by and get the bike they would say.

By the time your bank got back to you to tell you that the "official" Bank Draft check was a forgery your wire X-fer of the 9K would have gone through and you would be holding the empty bag at that point.

They never have intention to actually buy/ship the vehicle but only to pass off the bogus forgery Bank Draft and get you to wire x-fer the "shipping costs" back to the "supposed shipping office".

Meanwhile you wait for the shipping company that does not exist to never show up for the vehicle.

It is a slick scam that is all about passing the Bank Draft forgery on you and receiving the excess (pre-paid shipping costs) via wire x-fer into their coffers.

I am not surprised to see this happening with Harley D's as well. Any expensive vehicle seller could be a target for this scam.

The key is the "OFFICIAL CHECK" it just looks so good you do not even think that there is any way for it to be a forgery! Plus the time it takes for the banks to discover the forgery and get back to you on it all. So sad for those that fall prey to this evil scam.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 08-28-2009 at 11:17 AM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #5
GOLDCYLON

Seen this before but it will be ALL GOOD when that Nigerian Check shows up in the mail.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #6
xlr8nflorida

If it don't smell good, don't eat it.... mmm I mean don't do it.

The stories are outlandish, I need it for a show in Germany, I'm too busy to come get it BS

I only sell my stuff 2 ways. Guaranteed Check and we go to my bank to deposit it and make sure everything is kosher. However, even certified checks can have a stop payment put on them and most people don't realize that so now I only do wire transfer.

When my bank confirms they have the money in my account, you get the title. I bought my C5, the saw way, when the original owner called his bank and confirmed the $$$ was there, he signed the title over to me.

Some people just don't have a BS meter. It's like the Nigerian letters, if you ever read through one, its like WTF, this guy is a scammer or has the worst luck of anybody I have ever met
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote