ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 08-25-2006   #1
BROOMRIDER1991ZR1

Default HELP!!! NEED 91 ZR1 EXHAUST RESONATOR

Hello..I am new to the Forum and the ZR1 world. I have a set of Power Effects Exhaust on my ZR1 and the resonator is missing. This is one loud car. I would like to tone it down and have the proper back pressure as well. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks
BROOMRIDER1991ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #2
Aurora40

Default Re: HELP!!! NEED 91 ZR1 EXHAUST RESONATOR

I'd suggest looking at a '93-95 LT5 resonator, or an LT1 or LT4 resonator. The LT1/4 will be easier to find. All of them are wider than the '90 - '92 resonator.

My '90 res (which is in the trash somewhere, sorry):

'96 LT4 res:
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #3
BROOMRIDER1991ZR1

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!
Old 08-26-2006   #4
Sgreg

I hate to rain on anybody's thread but I kind of doubt any resonator will quiet down that exhaust much. The resonator is designed as a straight through pipe with baffles and will only absorb a little of the sound. That's primarily the job of the mufflers which are in place and pretty noisy.
Old 08-26-2006   #5
blackjack

i never quite understood the exact job of the resonator.....since it doesnt muffle much anyway...i have a borla system,and i removed that resonator...put in an x pipe....the sound did not seem to change much,although i felt an improvement with the power...maybe because i removed a couple of restrictions in the borla system...as per al rondeau's suggestion...too bad i threw the resonator away...
blackjack
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #6
Z Factor

Question Re: HELP!!! NEED 91 ZR1 EXHAUST RESONATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOMRIDER1991ZR1
Hello..I am new to the Forum and the ZR1 world. I have a set of Power Effects Exhaust on my ZR1 and the resonator is missing. This is one loud car. I would like to tone it down and have the proper back pressure as well. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Do you have stock manifolds/cats or are you running headers, no cats, etc.?

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #7
evl_twn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
i never quite understood the exact job of the resonator.....since it doesnt muffle much anyway...i have a borla system,and i removed that resonator...put in an x pipe....the sound did not seem to change much,although i felt an improvement with the power...maybe because i removed a couple of restrictions in the borla system...as per al rondeau's suggestion...too bad i threw the resonator away...
blackjack
My car is basically stock except DRM chip, open airbox with K&N, and the Borla cat back. I'd like to try the same thing with mine. Do you have more info on this? What brand X pipe, where did you get it, or did you have one custom made? I also have a Borla pipe on mine, and I was talking to Marc Haibeck about the car and he told me the Borla can actually decrease power from stock. I was looking at the info on his website and saw that there was pretty much no restriction at all on the 93-95 stock resonator when he measured the pressure drop in different stages along the exhaust on a car he was testing. If I still have the stock exhaust I'd probably try to put it back on the car and try different mufflers, but I did not get the original exhaust with the car.
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #8
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
blackjack
Well, it's still pipe with glasspacking. That's all some mufflers are. Since they are perforated pipes into the same packing, it would also serve as a crossover to a degree, as it connects both sides. I imagine a car with no resonator would be louder than one with one. My car currently has the LT4 resonator and straight-through mufflers, I'm sure it's quieter than if it was all straight pipe with nothing.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #9
BROOMRIDER1991ZR1

Thanks for the info. I was at Carlisle today and had a Bassani tech look at my Z and he suggested an X pipe and they could custom make for a reasonable price. I am going to think it over and hopefully get somemore feedback for the forum. I was excited to sign up as a new member of the site as well.