ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-09-2008   #1
Z51JEFF

Default Injector time....................

Im going to replace the injectors soon on my 91 and need some info.Who makes the best injector,most reliable,direct drop in with no mods and are all the gaskets available for anything I remove,install.Thanks.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #2
Jeffvette

Default Re: Injector time....................

Well, if you want true drop in injectors with no modifications, you are either going to be using stock POS injectors or RC's.

I sell the accel injectors basically ready to go. The top clip is already cut for you.
Old 04-09-2008   #3
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Im going to replace the injectors soon on my 91 and need some info.Who makes the best injector,most reliable,direct drop in with no mods and are all the gaskets available for anything I remove,install.Thanks.
I can provide gaskets, seals & o-rings. Email me A26B@aol.com & I will send you a parts list, highlighted for the injector o-rings and plenum gaskets.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #4
DaveK

Just out of interest. How much are the accel injectors Jeff?
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #5
Aurora40

Most any injectors will come with o-rings on them. It's not a bad idea to have some plenum gaskets on hand just in case one gets ripped, and if A26B has fuel rail o-rings for cheap, it might be worth changing out a few of them?

I would have done that when I did mine, except back then the GM o-rings were fairly pricey. Mine were fine, so I left them. But when you got it apart, and if the parts are cheap, why not?

If you want direct drop-in, you want OEM injectors. I'd say getting them from a Delphi dealer will be cheaper than from a GM or AC Delco dealer. It was for me. Nothing else is a direct drop-in for the '90-92 primary injector.

Other than that, the only modifying you have to do is pulling the bottom o-ring (and any sleeve) off the bottom of the primary injector. And you may have to file down a tab on the connectors so the OEM harness will hook up.

What I did was use '93-95 Delphi injectors. I did not have to modify the connector tabs, I only had to pull the o-ring/sleeve off the bottom of the primaries. Marc H. had put some different o-rings in the injector housings, though I've heard people say that's not really necessary.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #6
A26B

Bob makes some very good and interesting points here, especially concerning o-rings, gaskets and pricing. I would like to add my 2 cents worth.

GM parts and aftermarket parts were and are very high priced. As such, a lot of us have reused plenum gaskets if they were not damaged. Same is true with o-rings. This practice probably works OK most of the time, but it's very hard to analyze & find vacuum leaks all around the plenum. Fuel injector o-ring leakage...wow! Lots of different problem possibilities. O-rings get old and don't seal as well even if they appear undamaged.

I think most of us would agree that the best practice is to always replace gaskets and seals when reassembling, just to insure no leakage and a re-do of the job or less than optimum results from the work just performed.

Now to cost... This is why I got into the LT5 gasket & seal "hobby."

Plenum gaskets @ $23.50 for a set
Fuel injector o-ring set @ $26.48
Fuel feed & return pipe o-ring set (2) @ $1.84

The fuel injector set contains
8ea #10067600
(inside the inj hsng primary for 90~92 models)
and
32ea #17112222
(on FI, top all & secondary bottom for 90~92, top & bottom for 93~95)

If you are doing a 90~92, you will have 8 of the smaller #17112222 left over.
If you are doing a 93~95, you will have 8 of the larger #10067600 left over.

I package & sell this way to reduce the hassle of inventory & shipping to help keep the price down.

For me, it's not worth the risk or the hassle of pulling the plenum and or fuel injectors for the cost that these parts can now be had for. I would keep a couple of old plenum gaskets around for an emergency if no new spares are available.

Jerry
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.

Last edited by A26B; 04-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2008   #7
Jeffvette

So why does one need all the new smaller O-rings, when the injectors come with brand new ones. I can understand selling the kits if you are just doing a complete R&R, but most people just leave the injectors in place on the rail and stash the rail on the bench.

At most the people that would be interested are the 90-92 guys with the o-rings inside the injector housing.

Dave, I'm going to send you a PM.
Old 04-11-2008   #8
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
So why does one need all the new smaller O-rings, when the injectors come with brand new ones.
If new injectors come with new o-rings, You don't.

Quote:
I can understand selling the kits if you are just doing a complete R&R, but most people just leave the injectors in place on the rail and stash the rail on the bench.
If I were doing head gaskets, top end P&P work, I would replace all the injector o-rings. They get old and become deformed which is not of much concern to me IF the injectors are not removed from the rail or the inj hsng. Old o-rings lose the ability to seal as effectively as a new ones when re-installed, simply because they are deformed and less pliable.

Quote:
At most the people that would be interested are the 90-92 guys with the o-rings inside the injector housing.
If injectors are being replaced & come with new o-rings, I agree with you completely.

Good points though Jeff and with that in mind, I think it would be better to also separately offer

#10067600 set of 8 for 90~92 Inj Hsngs @ $6.64/set
and
#17112222 set of 32 for 90~95 U & L @ $19.84/set (would be 8 xtra left overs for 90~92)

Last edited by A26B; 04-11-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2008   #9
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
I sell the accel injectors basically ready to go. The top clip is already cut for you.
Just did this through Jeff to my '94. Its really the way to go.
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #10
32valvZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Just did this through Jeff to my '94. Its really the way to go.

Me too. He had them all trimmed up & ready to install!!
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]