ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-10-2009   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default X-pipe advice wanted from those with B&B Exhaust with Headers

Here is the deal. I recently installed the SW headers to my existing B & B exhaust with resonators. I have a temporary Napa flex pipe to connect the passenger side to the headers so I have to take it to a shop for a permanent pipe.

I'm on the fence to replace the resonators with X pipe and wondering if anyone had experience with the before and after. Mike from B & B said it is $275 and wondering how much more resonance it will make, how better sounding and how much performance to be gained. After going to the Cars and Coffee yesterday I would like to make this Z sound a little more bad *** and it is somewhat quiet to me. I think it might be partially due to the insulation I laid under my carpet that keep it pretty quiet in the cabin, but even with the windows down I don't mind a little more growl from the LT5.

Thanks from the Aloha State.
Old 05-10-2009   #2
Demps

Default Re: X-pipe advice wanted from those with B&B Exhaust with Headers

Resonance is significantly worse with the X-pipe. My first B&B had the resonator. I replaced it with the X-pipe and liked the power. The noise got the best of my wife and I replaced it with a resonator. Well, I made a mistake so X-pipe went back in.

Here's the way I figure. I modified the car for the power mostly and sound next. I personally do no like the sound of the Corsa but do like the sound of the B&B. There have been some tests on the x-pipe swap (7-15 rwhp depending on level of modification). In the end, it is one of the cheapest horsepower mods. I really could tell the last time I took it out. I can tell the power the most at the top of the powerband. It adds to our car's powerband ramp-up when the secondaries come on line. Still annoying at 1800 and 3000 rpms but I like the way it helps the car.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Resonance is significantly worse with the X-pipe. My first B&B had the resonator. I replaced it with the X-pipe and liked the power. The noise got the best of my wife and I replaced it with a resonator. Well, I made a mistake so X-pipe went back in.

Here's the way I figure. I modified the car for the power mostly and sound next. I personally do no like the sound of the Corsa but do like the sound of the B&B. There have been some tests on the x-pipe swap (7-15 rwhp depending on level of modification). In the end, it is one of the cheapest horsepower mods. I really could tell the last time I took it out. I can tell the power the most at the top of the powerband. It adds to our car's powerband ramp-up when the secondaries come on line. Still annoying at 1800 and 3000 rpms but I like the way it helps the car.

Ted
Ted,

Thank you very much for your detailed experience and advice; I really appreciate it. Since I'm not going bigger CI or twin turbos anytime soon, so I think I'll do it if I can gain a few HP. My wife won't complain and if she does she'll stay home more often. I am trying to build with performance in mine since I don't drive it often and when I do it must be fun and I'll tolerate the resonance. Sounds like the power is worth it. I was surprised that the headers did not make much different in sound and that is why I waited to see with the resonators in place first.

Now I have to figure out which X pipe brand to go with. I'm thinking still with the same manufacturer of the exhaust system, but I know there are a few out there.

Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2009   #4
Gunny

Craig,

Thought I would chime in. I was all set to go x-pipe and "something" else for mufflers, but finally decided to go back to Corsa. Yes, I've read all the pros/cons of Corsa and what I really would like is the BB sound with the Corsa resonance (lack of) and cabin sound ... ain't gonna happen. Anyway, I bought a Magnaflow 3" X-pipe and I've never installed it. The price was right, especially if I found that I later did not want it. It should fit OK, albeit a little tight. I think the x-pipes by BB & SW are built a little narrower and perhaps match up almost perfectly to the existing pipes already in place ... but they are considerably more expensive. Anyway, google the Magnaflow 3" and read the description & look at the part. If you think it would work for your application, and you want to give it a try, PM me. I haven't forgotten your help on the starter and I'll do my best to price it right for you. I have read/talked with a couple of owners who installed the Magnaflow x and they were pleased with the performance increase and at least one said it took away all resonance. I really doubt that part, but you never know.

George
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuband View Post
Craig,

Thought I would chime in. I was all set to go x-pipe and "something" else for mufflers, but finally decided to go back to Corsa. Yes, I've read all the pros/cons of Corsa and what I really would like is the BB sound with the Corsa resonance (lack of) and cabin sound ... ain't gonna happen. Anyway, I bought a Magnaflow 3" X-pipe and I've never installed it. The price was right, especially if I found that I later did not want it. It should fit OK, albeit a little tight. I think the x-pipes by BB & SW are built a little narrower and perhaps match up almost perfectly to the existing pipes already in place ... but they are considerably more expensive. Anyway, google the Magnaflow 3" and read the description & look at the part. If you think it would work for your application, and you want to give it a try, PM me. I haven't forgotten your help on the starter and I'll do my best to price it right for you. I have read/talked with a couple of owners who installed the Magnaflow x and they were pleased with the performance increase and at least one said it took away all resonance. I really doubt that part, but you never know.

George
Hey George,

Thanks for the offer and I'll definitely check on it and let you know. I might have regrets if and when I moved to the upper 48 where I might do a lot more driving and want a quiet system with the least resonance. I understand what you mean about going with the Corsas and everyone has different tastes are reason for selecting the systems they do. I guess I can do as others have done and try it out as the worst that could happen is I go back to the resonators. I still think about settling down in your neck of the woods where there are so many events to go to and it is a nice area too. If I can't find the info or get if from Magnaflow and you have time, please send me the center to center measurements of the openings on the Magnaflow X pipe and I could get an idea if mods will be necessary to just bolt on if possible. Thanks again and take care. Please hello to your wife for me too.
Old 05-11-2009   #6
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: A "hybrid B&B like" system in the wings...

Looking for a true 3" system to hang onto my SW headers, I first went to the Magnaflow system, but was disappointed to find it was not a true 3". So, I bought the SW X pipe and taking a page from Phil's book, I snagged a pair of the 3x18" chambered mufflers in lieu of the resonator. So, I end up with a true 3" system until the Magnaflow muffler which has a 2-1/2" inlet that splits into a pair of (approx) 2" tubes; one to each of the twin exhaust tips. (As it happens, 2x the square root of 2(inches) is just over 2.8" - pretty close to 3".)

With this setup I'm hoping to have my cake and eat it too; wanting the B&B performance, but really not wanting resonance in the cabin. Phil reported "no resonance" with this setup (all same except the mufflers), and we'll see what the dyno says about the performance in a couple weeks or so. I'll keep y'all posted. (BTW, the header to X pipe, the X pipe, the chambered mufflers, and even the MF mufflers are going to be "slip-fit". That way I can continue to "mix n match" to see what works best as things develop.

So far, excluding the headers, the SW tubing and X-pipe and the chambered mufflers total just under $500. Add another $100 for the links to the rear muffler and $200ish for mufflers of choice, and one has a 3" stainless no-cats system for around $800-$850 in materials.

One more thing...Like "chiming" a guitar string, it occurred to me that perhaps clamping a weight somewhere half way along the exhaust system might kill the resonance, or at least move it out of the normal cruising 1800-2000 rpm band. I mentioned this to Pete and he said he recalled seeing a Mustang setup with exactly that kind of weight attached to their pipes. It sure would be cheap enough to try.

Gotta run. More on this stuff later, I'm sure.

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #7
Z Factor

My experience is much like the others. I went with the X pipe and you can definitely hear the difference. You get more resonance, but if you don't try to cruise between 1800 and 3000, you hardly notice it. You will also get a HP increase as mentioned, so as long as you want it to be louder, it will be a win win.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Looking for a true 3" system to hang onto my SW headers, I first went to the Magnaflow system, but was disappointed to find it was not a true 3". So, I bought the SW X pipe and taking a page from Phil's book, I snagged a pair of the 3x18" chambered mufflers in lieu of the resonator. So, I end up with a true 3" system until the Magnaflow muffler which has a 2-1/2" inlet that splits into a pair of (approx) 2" tubes; one to each of the twin exhaust tips. (As it happens, 2x the square root of 2(inches) is just over 2.8" - pretty close to 3".)

With this setup I'm hoping to have my cake and eat it too; wanting the B&B performance, but really not wanting resonance in the cabin. Phil reported "no resonance" with this setup (all same except the mufflers), and we'll see what the dyno says about the performance in a couple weeks or so. I'll keep y'all posted. (BTW, the header to X pipe, the X pipe, the chambered mufflers, and even the MF mufflers are going to be "slip-fit". That way I can continue to "mix n match" to see what works best as things develop.

So far, excluding the headers, the SW tubing and X-pipe and the chambered mufflers total just under $500. Add another $100 for the links to the rear muffler and $200ish for mufflers of choice, and one has a 3" stainless no-cats system for around $800-$850 in materials.

One more thing...Like "chiming" a guitar string, it occurred to me that perhaps clamping a weight somewhere half way along the exhaust system might kill the resonance, or at least move it out of the normal cruising 1800-2000 rpm band. I mentioned this to Pete and he said he recalled seeing a Mustang setup with exactly that kind of weight attached to their pipes. It sure would be cheap enough to try.

Gotta run. More on this stuff later, I'm sure.

P.
Paul,

Thanks for sharing and sound like you might have a winner there. It sounds like some perseverance pays off. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all you have been going through. The killer for me here is the shipping for even an X pipe is $50 from B&B and everything really adds up quickly. I might have to just chill and live with what I have. I'm sure a lot of other folks with benefit from your hybrid system with all the research and thought behind it.
Old 05-12-2009   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor View Post
My experience is much like the others. I went with the X pipe and you can definitely hear the difference. You get more resonance, but if you don't try to cruise between 1800 and 3000, you hardly notice it. You will also get a HP increase as mentioned, so as long as you want it to be louder, it will be a win win.

Jim,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sound exactly like what should be expected so there will be no suprises. I appreciate your input and will defintely try to get the X pipe.
Old 05-12-2009   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Paul,

Thanks for sharing and sound like you might have a winner there. It sounds like some perseverance pays off. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all you have been going through. The killer for me here is the shipping for even an X pipe is $50 from B&B and everything really adds up quickly. I might have to just chill and live with what I have. I'm sure a lot of other folks with benefit from your hybrid system with all the research and thought behind it.
The SW X pipe was $275 + S&H, FWIW. One could have one made from aluminized steel piping by a competent exhaust shop for less - mebby 1/2 that. I considered that route, but the shops around me didn't have mandrel bending, so that would put me back into the 2-1/2" chokes at the bends (again). That fact, along with the physics unknown introduced by a "random" length to the choke points, and the fact they would not be stainless, the convenience and "what I wanted in the first place" won me over. (The cost will only hurt once. After that it is maintenance free grinning for ever!)

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote