ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > Past Events & Event Pictures

Old 05-11-2010   #81
ksphar

Default Re: Ribs at JVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post
Kust had Cooksey and wife cancel. Your in if you woldlike.
jim

Count us in!!!

If it is okay, we will donate at the door when we get there. Can't wait!

Kevin
ksphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #82
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksphar View Post
Count us in!!!

If it is okay, we will donate at the door when we get there. Can't wait!

Kevin
Names please?
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #83
ksphar

Art Sphar & Kevin Sphar.

If you prefer Paypal, I can do that as well.

Sorry about the noob questions, but this will be at your Auto Masters location, right?

Kevin
ksphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #84
JThomas

Michigan departing in five hours and twenty minutes. See you in the morning Jim!!!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #85
FU

Best event out of the gathering.

CLASS ACT JIMBO
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #86
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2 View Post
Best event out of the gathering.

CLASS ACT JIMBO
It?s not about the car?.
It?s 4:45am Sunday morning and my son just left with a guy named Bill Strowbridge who came from Washington to be a part of this weekend. Months ago when Bill called me and asked what I was going to for the 20th Anniversary of the ZR-1, I didn?t have an answer. I hadn?t thought about it. In the past a small group of diehards came to Bowling Green, had some beer and pizza, made a donation to the NCM and went home. Much to my dismay.
Several years ago some of you might have been present when the NCM?s new ?Events Director? Roc Linkov, walked up to our small group of C4 people and announced the event was to be no more. There would be no auction and in fact, if the ZR-1 folks wanted to come to Bowling Green, they could come with the Z06 folks and they would call it the ?Z Fest?. As Roc spoke, I saw red.
I went to the microphone, looked at Roc and Adam and said; ?Who do you guys think you are?.? I went on about how the NCM was there because of us, and that we had supported it, saved it from extinction, and will continue to do so. And as I looked into the eyes of the small group there, I could see terror in the eyes of NCM supporters such as Hutch and others. Many hated me for saying what I did. I said what I felt in my heart and when I returned to me table, some shook my hand and didn?t say a word.
That Monday morning Adam Boca, NCM assistant events person, who had written a beautiful testimonial for my website, asked that it be removed and any endorsement of me or my company be withdrawn. Of course I laughed and left it there for 6 months but I finally removed it, and replaced it with many others, but I was the Black Sheep, the Pirate of the NCM for years to come.
This past weekend has left me speechless. The 20th Birthday of the ZR-1 was the best event I?ve seen since?..well?..since we did the Legends Lives. When I decided to do something for this event, I asked for your support and contributions. The next day I came in my office and found $1800 in my pay pal account. The first of which was from who else, Bill Strowbridge. The guy who bought Doug Johnson?s ?Beast 2?.
For those of you who made it, thank you for making it the best event in many, many years. For those of you who couldn?t attend, this post is for you.

Just like the days of old, the ZR-1 folks came from across the globe. Names and faces I?ve not seen for some 15 years. As usual, the Egelstads from Washington came but they were in for a surprise. Unknown to them, their son Eric, the Platoon Sergeant of the 1St Platoon, 101st Airborn (Air Assault Division) US Army, was conspiring with me to bring awareness of our troops who are serving across the globe. His current assignment is in the Zanbar Province in Afghanistan, one of the hottest military combat zones known today. The proceeds from our BBQ is going to them so that they may be a little safer, and a bit more comfortable. Just a note. Eric?s platoon has been deployed since January. To date, they have been attacked 127 times. Not counting today?.
Throughout the weekend we were inundated with offers of help. When Bill Strowbridge arrived I gave him a towel and some wax and pointed him to the shop. His eyes glissoned, he smiled and he went to work. Although I was consumed with the preparations for the largest party we?ve ever done, 225+, I noticed Bill was relentless with the tasks I had given him. He polished and shined every single piece of equipment, he ran every errand, he was right there every time I needed him. He was soaking wet in the humidity, his diabetes caused discomfort, but he was there and enjoying every minute of it. He reminded me of his car?s namesake, Douglas K. Johnson, who pushed me to accomplishments I never would have considered undertaking without his support and guidance. Had Bill also inherited the Beast?s former owner?s support duties as well??
Now in the past the NCM has not gone to any extremes to dress up the museum for a few ZR-1 relic fans. To move a car, let alone an entire display takes a ton of time and therefore resources. Resources cost money and money has been short. I received many complaints about the NCM?s lack of attention to us after all, without the ZR-1 group, it wouldn?t be even be here today. But this weekend something has happened?. The NCM was adorned with some 20 variants of the ZR-1. Some of the rarest cars that exist were on display. The new Conference Center of the NCM was pleasantly filled, but most importantly, there was also a bar?.:-)) Roc and his staff did a magnificent job and all of you will agree. If not, we?ll step outside?J
You see, some time ago I received a surprise call from Roc Lincov at the NCM. Somewhat reluctantly I returned the call to find out that I was invited to lunch. Just Roc and myself. Having a deadly weapons permit I thought of wearing a long shirt but then thought better of it. Our lunch began with me telling Roc I had respect for him for inviting me to lunch after all these years. That takes Balls. In the next 2 ? hours we talked about how we could improve the NCM.
Well last night folks, was a dream come true. Our room was filled with some of the best of the best. And this time there would be no wrapped sandwiches from a cooler and a bag of chips. Nope. The very same caterer, Mariahs, (who did the Legend Lives) catered the event and it was the best food I?ve had in a long time. Well, at least since Thursday?J Roc Lincov, the man I so heavily scoulded in front of many of you, was man enough to set aside our differences and make something positive of it. The NCM's schedule of events was superb. Some of you donated items for us to auction and when we ran short of time, we brought them to the NCM and raised them $2500. Of course there WILL be a few items going on Ebay...
Congratulations to all of you who have supported our hobby and kept it alive. For remembering what that GM guy, Jack Underwood, once told me at Stillwater:
?We have passed the torch to you and it is now your responsibility. Without you guys, that flame will die.?
Although our flame may not be the blow torch that it once was, it is still burning in our hearts. Thanks to Dave Bright for his unwavering dedication for all these years, keeping us together, guiding us, just like a Mom. And David Johnson who led the event organization for the Registry. And all the rest of you who continue to contribute.
I can?t tell you how many folks came up to me and told me this was their first ZR-1 Gathering. Others said it had been years since they?ve been. It was monotonous, etc. You?re right, it was. But not anymore.
So who else do you think offered to take Jim Jr to the airport this Sunday morning at 4:45 am? Bill Strowbridge. And as the thunder and lightening came from the west, Bill shook my hand and offered his praise for such an enjoyable weeknd. I smiled at him and remembered the quote from our dear departed friend, Douglas K. Johnson, who seems to still be watching over us all, guiding us and inspiring us even after his departure from this world.
?It?s not about the car, Bill. It?s about the People? I said. ?And whether you like it or not, you are now my Douglas K. Johnson?.?
Bill's eyes filled with tears as he climbed into his rental.
P.S. I flew Jim Jr in from California because I needed another LT5 wrench. Well, OK, maybe because it is one of my best excuses for getting to see him again. But I have to say, he was there for all of us every minute of every day. He makes me so proud I can?t describe it...must take after his Mom, huh?
Now for a nap...=D>
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #87
jrd1990zr1

I agree with Frank. Fantastic event!!!

Thank you for hosting it!!!
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #88
JThomas

Thanks to you and Jim Jr.! I'm sure he didn't want to spend his entire weekend under the hood of my car.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #89
Z Factor

Thumbs up Re: Ribs at JVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post
It?s not about the car?.
It?s 4:45am Sunday morning and my son just left with a guy named Bill Strowbridge who came from Washington to be a part of this weekend. Months ago when Bill called me and asked what I was going to for the 20th Anniversary of the ZR-1, I didn?t have an answer. I hadn?t thought about it. In the past a small group of diehards came to Bowling Green, had some beer and pizza, made a donation to the NCM and went home. Much to my dismay.
Several years ago some of you might have been present when the NCM?s new ?Events Director? Roc Linkov, walked up to our small group of C4 people and announced the event was to be no more. There would be no auction and in fact, if the ZR-1 folks wanted to come to Bowling Green, they could come with the Z06 folks and they would call it the ?Z Fest?. As Roc spoke, I saw red.
I went to the microphone, looked at Roc and Adam and said; ?Who do you guys think you are?.? I went on about how the NCM was there because of us, and that we had supported it, saved it from extinction, and will continue to do so. And as I looked into the eyes of the small group there, I could see terror in the eyes of NCM supporters such as Hutch and others. Many hated me for saying what I did. I said what I felt in my heart and when I returned to me table, some shook my hand and didn?t say a word.
That Monday morning Adam Boca, NCM assistant events person, who had written a beautiful testimonial for my website, asked that it be removed and any endorsement of me or my company be withdrawn. Of course I laughed and left it there for 6 months but I finally removed it, and replaced it with many others, but I was the Black Sheep, the Pirate of the NCM for years to come.
This past weekend has left me speechless. The 20th Birthday of the ZR-1 was the best event I?ve seen since?..well?..since we did the Legends Lives. When I decided to do something for this event, I asked for your support and contributions. The next day I came in my office and found $1800 in my pay pal account. The first of which was from who else, Bill Strowbridge. The guy who bought Doug Johnson?s ?Beast 2?.
For those of you who made it, thank you for making it the best event in many, many years. For those of you who couldn?t attend, this post is for you.

Just like the days of old, the ZR-1 folks came from across the globe. Names and faces I?ve not seen for some 15 years. As usual, the Egelstads from Washington came but they were in for a surprise. Unknown to them, their son Eric, the Platoon Sergeant of the 1St Platoon, 101st Airborn (Air Assault Division) US Army, was conspiring with me to bring awareness of our troops who are serving across the globe. His current assignment is in the Zanbar Province in Afghanistan, one of the hottest military combat zones known today. The proceeds from our BBQ is going to them so that they may be a little safer, and a bit more comfortable. Just a note. Eric?s platoon has been deployed since January. To date, they have been attacked 127 times. Not counting today?.
Throughout the weekend we were inundated with offers of help. When Bill Strowbridge arrived I gave him a towel and some wax and pointed him to the shop. His eyes glissoned, he smiled and he went to work. Although I was consumed with the preparations for the largest party we?ve ever done, 225+, I noticed Bill was relentless with the tasks I had given him. He polished and shined every single piece of equipment, he ran every errand, he was right there every time I needed him. He was soaking wet in the humidity, his diabetes caused discomfort, but he was there and enjoying every minute of it. He reminded me of his car?s namesake, Douglas K. Johnson, who pushed me to accomplishments I never would have considered undertaking without his support and guidance. Had Bill also inherited the Beast?s former owner?s support duties as well??
Now in the past the NCM has not gone to any extremes to dress up the museum for a few ZR-1 relic fans. To move a car, let alone an entire display takes a ton of time and therefore resources. Resources cost money and money has been short. I received many complaints about the NCM?s lack of attention to us after all, without the ZR-1 group, it wouldn?t be even be here today. But this weekend something has happened?. The NCM was adorned with some 20 variants of the ZR-1. Some of the rarest cars that exist were on display. The new Conference Center of the NCM was pleasantly filled, but most importantly, there was also a bar?.:-)) Roc and his staff did a magnificent job and all of you will agree. If not, we?ll step outside?J
You see, some time ago I received a surprise call from Roc Lincov at the NCM. Somewhat reluctantly I returned the call to find out that I was invited to lunch. Just Roc and myself. Having a deadly weapons permit I thought of wearing a long shirt but then thought better of it. Our lunch began with me telling Roc I had respect for him for inviting me to lunch after all these years. That takes Balls. In the next 2 ? hours we talked about how we could improve the NCM.
Well last night folks, was a dream come true. Our room was filled with some of the best of the best. And this time there would be no wrapped sandwiches from a cooler and a bag of chips. Nope. The very same caterer, Mariahs, (who did the Legend Lives) catered the event and it was the best food I?ve had in a long time. Well, at least since Thursday?J Roc Lincov, the man I so heavily scoulded in front of many of you, was man enough to set aside our differences and make something positive of it. The NCM's schedule of events was superb. Some of you donated items for us to auction and when we ran short of time, we brought them to the NCM and raised them $2500. Of course there WILL be a few items going on Ebay...
Congratulations to all of you who have supported our hobby and kept it alive. For remembering what that GM guy, Jack Underwood, once told me at Stillwater:
?We have passed the torch to you and it is now your responsibility. Without you guys, that flame will die.?
Although our flame may not be the blow torch that it once was, it is still burning in our hearts. Thanks to Dave Bright for his unwavering dedication for all these years, keeping us together, guiding us, just like a Mom. And David Johnson who led the event organization for the Registry. And all the rest of you who continue to contribute.
I can?t tell you how many folks came up to me and told me this was their first ZR-1 Gathering. Others said it had been years since they?ve been. It was monotonous, etc. You?re right, it was. But not anymore.
So who else do you think offered to take Jim Jr to the airport this Sunday morning at 4:45 am? Bill Strowbridge. And as the thunder and lightening came from the west, Bill shook my hand and offered his praise for such an enjoyable weeknd. I smiled at him and remembered the quote from our dear departed friend, Douglas K. Johnson, who seems to still be watching over us all, guiding us and inspiring us even after his departure from this world.
?It?s not about the car, Bill. It?s about the People? I said. ?And whether you like it or not, you are now my Douglas K. Johnson?.?
Bill's eyes filled with tears as he climbed into his rental.
P.S. I flew Jim Jr in from California because I needed another LT5 wrench. Well, OK, maybe because it is one of my best excuses for getting to see him again. But I have to say, he was there for all of us every minute of every day. He makes me so proud I can?t describe it...must take after his Mom, huh?
Now for a nap...=D>
Very nice account. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #90
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd1990zr1 View Post
I agree with Frank. Fantastic event!!!

Thank you for hosting it!!!

sorry we don't have an "I agree" sign.....

Thanks JVD for going thru all the trouble to make it a memorable Gathering!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote