ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-21-2010   #81
pantera1683

Default Re: OBX Headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
...and I had just finish a 10,700 mile road trip in it.
Wow, that is some road trip! Your behind must really be sore
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #82
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1683 View Post
Boy oh boy!
A *REALLY, really. really* long road trip.
What could possibly possess anyone to drive from Sea to Shining Sea three times?

Do tell!!

TomC
'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #83
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
As I stoop under the fire fight. I have a little off topic question, as I was removing my factory headers off the car I looked into the back side of each. I noticed that the drivers side headers catalytic converter was melted in the middle. Now would this be a sign of failing injectors, a failure of the smog system, a tune issue ( my car has a factory tune now but has had a tune on it in the past I believe), or a O2 sensor starting to degrade. It wasn't setting any codes before I tore it down and I had just finish a 10,700 mile road trip in it. Any constructive input would be greatly appriciate. Thank you gentalmen.

Dave

None of the above its possible that a piece of substrate broke off the honeycomb and melted into place. Impacts cause these to break apart before they ultimately fail. when they fail they start blowing chunks and the honeycomb tends to mold into a large ball of material. You will hear it as it sounds like a chock full of nuts under the car. This is a reason why a lot of us have gone to headers and Hi flow cats. Only other option is to find a NOS cat and exhaust manifold or hang a used one.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #84
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb7tif View Post
These OBX headers will never take the place of a new set of Stainless works and they shouldn't.
But looks like a halfway decent option to paying 1200+ headers. These would be great for getting some extra oomph from that just purchased daily driver. If I had just did a stoke job or engine upgrade another 1200 is nothing.

Concur

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 12-21-2010   #85
mgbrv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1683 View Post
Ya it was a father a son road trip. I bought the car from Hammer and it was a impeccable example. We then drove it 10700 miles, 31 states and 55 museums over a seven and a half week period during the summer of 2009. Any where my father wanted to go I took him. It was a incredible jurney in a amazing car and every mile produce unforgettable memories.

And thank you GOLDCYLON for the insight on the catalytic converters

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #86
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Ya it was a father a son road trip. I bought the car from Hammer and it was a impeccable example. We then drove it 10700 miles, 31 states and 55 museums over a seven and a half week period during the summer of 2009. Any where my father wanted to go I took him. It was a incredible jurney in a amazing car and every mile produce unforgettable memories.

And thank you GOLDCYLON for the insight on the catalytic converters

Dave

Father and son trips are great. I drove my car from Houston in 2006 when I picked it up after my last tour in the box in Al Qayarrah. I had not seen my father for 16 months so it was a great ride back all the way back to Arizona except for the weather in Van Horn Texas (Heavy Snow). I ended up returning the ride along favor after my father bought his 96 CE from Tennesse. We had such a good time with the Z!

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 12-21-2010   #87
todesengel

I apologize for my childish rants. Sometimes I just allow things to go too far rather than let them go.

If a mod wants to clean it up, that would be great.

Again, I hope anyone who spends their hard earned money on a set of these truly gets a quality product in return, I sincerely do.

Merry Christmas, and Happy new year to all of you.
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #88
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
I apologize for my childish rants. Sometimes I just allow things to go too far rather than let them go.

If a mod wants to clean it up, that would be great.

Again, I hope anyone who spends their hard earned money on a set of these truly gets a quality product in return, I sincerely do.

eh we all have our moments, glad to have ya around.
Old 12-22-2010   #89
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
I apologize for my chil....
<content snipped>
Bah, don't worry about it.

Our Cyplotic Moderator pal, old "Goldie", has a titanium alloyed depleted uranium exoskeleton.
He can can bring it, and he can take it.
Ain't that right, Goldie?

You are among Brothers here, never forget that.
We can agree to disagree and still be family.

A Merry Christmas to your and yours!

TomC
'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #90
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
Bah, don't worry about it.

Our Cyplotic Moderator pal, old "Goldie", has a titanium alloyed depleted uranium exoskeleton.
He can can bring it, and he can take it.
Ain't that right, Goldie?

You are among Brothers here, never forget that.
We can agree to disagree and still be family.

A Merry Christmas to your and yours!

TomC
'Crabs

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V