ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-09-2012   #81
Hib Halverson

Default Re: 368...should I, could I, would I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Ok,now i have a few questions.
Has JVD,Graham tested/R&D'd or done anything other then 20 year old stuff?
Good point. My guess is the last new development Lingenfelter's or Automasters have done on LT5 performance enhancements came in the late 90s/early-00s.

And, yes, I get the implication in your question, but, to me, it seems, maybe, a little bit arrogant. I suggest that it's unlikely you'd be where you are now had those folks not done their "20 year old stuff."

Ya think your attitude might sour potential customers who are outside of your flock of admirers here on the Registry forum? Much less get someone connected with media interested in your product?

Quote:
On the better oil control how does the closed deck effect this?
Good question which I can't answer. I stated earlier that I based my belief on what Haibeck said to me in an email. I have not personally tested a closed deck LT5 for oil control but, I do put some faith in what Marc tells me. I've known him for a long time.
Quote:
Most stock LT5's have oil control issues.
Thankfully, mine does not...at least, not with the way I drive it most of the time. I suppose, if I was tracking the car and running laps such that the engine spent lot of time above 5000 rpm, I probably would. Currently my oil consumption is about a quart every 8000-miles. In the "old" days, when the car was a magazine project, we put about 100 dyno passes, maybe a dozen or so drag strip passes and several track days on the car, but nowadays, it just gets run hard on the street.
Quote:
We have 3 done with no issues of any kind,they drive to BG every year, race and drive back home.
Three trips from DesPlaines to BG and back cruising on the highway along with, say, fifteen or so, 11-sec. drag strip passes. I take it, I'm to accept that as demonstrative of good durability and oil control superior to that of "20-year old stuff"? That in mind...I'm curious. Have you run any GM durability test schedules on the engines you build?
Quote:
Why do you wanna do a 368?
Is stock motor blown/broke?
Nope. There's nothing really wrong with it other than 60,000 or so miles and 15 years in service. Ok. I admit that, of late, my oil use has gone from about a quart every 10,000-miles to a qt in 8000-mi, so maybe I need stem seals. Mainly, I just was thinking of updating the engine but, admittedly, I want to do it on (as someone else aptly stated) a "beer budget."
Quote:
Technology moves on,if you don't move with it you'll be left behind.
I submit: if you truly believed that, you'd be doing LS7s.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #82
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
Good point. My guess is the last new development Lingenfelter's or Automasters have done on LT5 performance enhancements came in the late 90s/early-00s.

And, yes, I get the implication in your question, but, to me, it seems, maybe, a little bit arrogant. I suggest that it's unlikely you'd be where you are now had those folks not done their "20 year old stuff."

Ya think your attitude might sour potential customers who are outside of your flock of admirers here on the Registry forum? Much less get someone connected with media interested in your product?

Good question which I can't answer. I stated earlier that I based my belief on what Haibeck said to me in an email. I have not personally tested a closed deck LT5 for oil control but, I do put some faith in what Marc tells me. I've known him for a long time.
Thankfully, mine does not...at least, not with the way I drive it most of the time. I suppose, if I was tracking the car and running laps such that the engine spent lot of time above 5000 rpm, I probably would. Currently my oil consumption is about a quart every 8000-miles. In the "old" days, when the car was a magazine project, we put about 100 dyno passes, maybe a dozen or so drag strip passes and several track days on the car, but nowadays, it just gets run hard on the street.

Three trips from DesPlaines to BG and back cruising on the highway along with, say, fifteen or so, 11-sec. drag strip passes. I take it, I'm to accept that as demonstrative of good durability and oil control superior to that of "20-year old stuff"? That in mind...I'm curious. Have you run any GM durability test schedules on the engines you build?
Nope. There's nothing really wrong with it other than 60,000 or so miles and 15 years in service. Ok. I admit that, of late, my oil use has gone from about a quart every 10,000-miles to a qt in 8000-mi, so maybe I need stem seals. Mainly, I just was thinking of updating the engine but, admittedly, I want to do it on (as someone else aptly stated) a "beer budget."

I find this response out of line for the question Pete has asked. Pete and the FBI Crew have been on the cutting edge of the many LT5 improvments. These guys are running some fast reliable Z's. Most members here would not hesitate to hand their cars over to them to work on. From what I have read in the posts the only thing these guys were trying to do was help you maximize your performance dollars. Its your car so its your call, but remember you asked the question in the 1st place. Good Luck
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #83
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post

I do not do the closed deck it's done by AES anybody can call and get it done.
I'm not selling anything.
When i saw the crazy prices on LT5 parts i went out and found/made lower cost replacements and were initially made for myself but if anyone wants what i have they are welcome to them.
Basicly i don't care where or who does your motor the advise i'm trying to pass on to you is not worth doing a 368 for the money.
I know it's your money and you can do whatever you want with it but you came on an open forum with the question did you think everyone was giong to agree with you?

Because someone disagrees with you does this mean they have an attitude.
If you think you won't like the answers i suggest don't post questions on a puplic forum.

Question right back at ya, has any other tuner done durability tests?
I will need documents from GM on the durability of the 368.

Well if five 1000 mile trips,racing her hard,driving in Chicago traffic is not good testing,what is?

We try to do testing on parts as best as we can without having to spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours, Jerry tested his head gaskets did he spend millions and thousands of hours i don't know,i was satisfied with his testing and i'm using his head gaskets will they hold up
200k miles i don't know i'll post up when i get there,so far they held up to 4500rpm clutch drops,
130mph 1/4 with some aggresive street driving,good enough for me.

Man if you use 1 qrt every 8k miles that is one killer motor i would not touch the short block,there i go again disagreeing with you.lol

LS7 pushrods been around since caveman.

The only attitude i have is because i'm not a yesman.

You asked i replied maybe you didn't like the answer so i have an attitude.
Oh well,lifes too short.
Eitherway enjoy your choice.
Pete

P.S.
For those that know me know i love the LS7/LS9 the reason for smiley.
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage

Last edited by Pete; 10-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #84
Polo-1

Hey Hib, Pete's Greek, need to cut him a little slack

I have known Pete from BG and here, bought some of his parts. He is a stand up guy. He has spent some time and a good deal of money on cam research, and has come out with good stuff.

The tech comment... LS7 has more technology? I own both. The LT5 has better tech then the LS7. We all know multi cam and valves out does a single setup.
Didn't the last LT5 design ( mid 90's) make 550hp from 350ci. LS7 is 505hp from 427ci and dropping valves....
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #85
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Hib,

If you knew Pete, you would want his advice.

Looks like you are set in doing the 368! Go for it and I'm sure you will be 100% happy with the end result.

No doubt barney will be in a magazine by this time next year

Please keep us updated and look forward to see it!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #86
XfireZ51

Pete,

You don't need to justify yourself and your capability to anyone on this forum, especially anyone that doesn't turn their own wrenches.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #87
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
I find this response out of line for the question Pete has asked. Pete and the FBI Crew have been on the cutting edge of the many LT5 improvments. These guys are running some fast reliable Z's. Most members here would not hesitate to hand their cars over to them to work on. From what I have read in the posts the only thing these guys were trying to do was help you maximize your performance dollars. Its your car so its your call, but remember you asked the question in the 1st place. Good Luck
I'm with you, Ricky. Should I, Could I, Would I.... sounded like an invitation for feedback and he got it from one of the very best, gratis, no charge. What a smartazz.
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #88
Blue Flame Restorations

I'm extremely happy with the work Pete did for the Turq Monster.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #89
tcz062

Might sound like a stupid question but when your talking about 368 is that a LT5 punched .020 over ? Or is that the street skinner package ?
tcz062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #90
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcz062 View Post
Might sound like a stupid question but when your talking about 368 is that a LT5 punched .020 over ? Or is that the street skinner package ?
It is an LT5 with 4" sleeves instead of the stock 3.9s.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote