ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-31-2017   #71
Roadster

Default Re: WAZOO Day Success 1/21/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
Nice job Tom, way to stick with it and find the problem. Congrats!
Thanks Charlie, it may take me longer, but I am persistent....

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
it was puzzling at first but with fan blade scraping occurring intermittently I started to suspect spacer/washer issue. without the spacer behind the pulley, belt as being driven can push or release against the fan along the circumference of the pulley. This in turn will move the blade relative to the alternator housing.
Glad this mystery is solved!
Good call Yun, you can say that again.....another one for the books....as they say....

Just as a precaution to anyone getting a rebuilt unit from any supplier, check out everything before the install. Even if it means undoing the pulley to make sure that the correct washer and spacer is there, otherwise use your parts off of the unit you are replacing.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 01-31-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017   #72
GOLDCYLON

Pmed ya
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017   #73
mike100

So what alternator do you purchase for the LT5. Is it a standard vette item that just needs to be reclocked for our application, or from another vehicle entirely?
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017   #74
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Pmed ya
received and replied....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
So what alternator do you purchase for the LT5. Is it a standard vette item that just needs to be reclocked for our application, or from another vehicle entirely?
Well the 200 amp unit I purchased was off of ebay and listed as a ZR-1 unit.
I am almost sure this is the one that Dynomite listed awhile ago in one of his threads. Will look up the info....
The way it came through it was clocked wrong as stated, other than that, it is the same.
It may be that the ZR-1 unit is different from the standard Vette unit, I am not really sure. And don't know if there is another vehicle application that will fit ours. Maybe someone could add to this!!!

Update.....this is the 200amp unit I purchased awhile ago and it does show that it will fit either the base or ZR-1
only thing is the pulley is to small for us, you will have to use your old pulley on this unit or the pulley from Summit that was also mentioned in Dynomite's thread....and most likely re-clock the housing, which is no biggie.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Alternat...hTqZUQ&vxp=mtr

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 01-31-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2017   #75
FU

Bought a 200 amp off e-bay did the same thing. After the fix the alternator lasted about 2 months. Put the original alternator back in/

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017   #76
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
Bought a 200 amp off e-bay did the same thing. After the fix the alternator lasted about 2 months. Put the original alternator back in/
Frank, was it purchased from the same seller as the link above?
What happened after 2 months, did you ever check it out further as to the reason why??

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 01-31-2017   #77
GOLDCYLON

Yep that's were I got mine. Got a month out of it and then it failed

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 01-31-2017   #78
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Yep that's were I got mine. Got a month out of it and then it failed
Was yours also the 200 amp unit?
Because if that's the case, I'll take mine apart and rebuilt it, rather than use this replacement. That's two failures, you and Frank, not good. Don't feel like doing this again for a long time....live and learn!!!

Added questions for both of you regarding the failure?

1-did you determine what caused the failure?
2-did you change the pulley to the correct size pulley?

Because if you used the pulley that came with the unit, which is much smaller, that would surely lead to early failure....thanks for any additional info....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 01-31-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2017   #79
FU

I didn't see this thread till the other day. We bought the same alternator from the same company. Mine was bought 4+ years ago. Long story short...After it was taken apart to put the spacer in the alt. it was also discovered that the pulley was the wrong one for the ZR1. That's how they get the amp rating up by putting a smaller pulley on the alt. By then the original unit was rebuilt by instructions from Dynomite and it was decided to install the original unit back..
The 200 amp alt. was used for a door stop until Sandy got it.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017   #80
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Was yours also the 200 amp unit?
Because if that's the case, I'll take mine apart and rebuilt it, rather than use this replacement. That's two failures, you and Frank, not good. Don't feel like doing this again for a long time....live and learn!!!
YES

Quote:
Added questions for both of you regarding the failure?

1-did you determine what caused the failure?
NO
Quote:
2-did you change the pulley to the correct size pulley?
YES and reused my spacer off of my failed unit

Quote:
Because if you used the pulley that came with the unit, which is much smaller, that would surely lead to early failure....thanks for any additional info....
I never used the smaller pulley

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V