ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-19-2021   #61
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Re: Power steering hose replacements/substitutes

Figured I would share some pictures of what appear to be some dates on the bottom of the plenum. Finally got my thermal past in the mail. Cleaned off the old stuff and found a smiley face in the markings...someone was in a good mood when they were cataloging my plenum back in the day. Any experts feel free to explain what the two dates mean. My guess: the one by the MAP port is the casting date and the date on the module mating pad is when the plenum was pulled for engine assembly.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021   #62
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Just curious for those in the know, what size O rings are used on the pressure line from pump to rack? I had the unfortunate luck of losing my power steering on Easter Sunday....and ironically, I pulled into an empty church parking lot to wait for a flat bed driver. My wife told me she was sorry about it happening and all I could think of was draining coolant. I got the car home and did some investigation to see that the fitting on the high pressure line had backed out and sprayed fluid all over. So, I thought I was clever reaching through the pulley holes with a 16mm line wrench to retighten the fitting.

What I had not counted on was the O ring I placed in a few weeks earlier had gotten pinched apart and let fluid through even after tightening it back down. So with a little more patience, I undid the fitting, pulled the line out and removed the broken O ring and put a new one on. I used a skinny brown Viton ring that matches the original rings that came with it but boy are they puny looking and fragile. Would there be an issue using nitrile rubber rings that are slightly thicker? I got everything back together with the replacement skinny viton ring and it seems to be sealing just fine after a test drive.

To do this, I took a combination 18mm/16mm line wrench, got my angle grinder and cut the 18mm portion off with enough for it to have handle. That way the 16mm will clear the AC lines when loosening/tighten the 16mm fitting. It is probably old news to the veterans on here using this method, but I loathe draining coolant.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021   #63
Roadster

Here are some pics of the "o" rings Jamall....I will try and get a measurement by tomorrow the latest....[emoji16][emoji16]20210407_193105.jpg20210407_193137.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote