ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-04-2021   #621
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Tom, glad some of my wrenching was helpful to you. I know just enough to be dangerous, so I post my adventures to show people what not to do, ha! I?ve caught a case of the and then some, as well. Going to enjoy going back to the beginning of this thread and reading up to now.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021   #622
Roadster

I hear you there Jamall... I always enjoy reading and seeing what other members are doing when working on their Z's....my goal now is to get everything completed and not having to do any serious wrenching in the future...that's why I'm still in the take apart stage....lol
Not getting any younger and I still have the 74 to also finish....at least it is home now...hope to be on the road with both Vettes by the Summer....I miss driving them...
Hope you enjoy the thread...I've learned a lot about the LT5 over the past 7 years....from everyone here on the Forum....[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G981U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021   #623
Prez1967

This is going to be a big help once I start my rack/pump removal.

Should hopefully be ready to tackle it by Sunday.

What "phillips head screwdriver" tip are we talking about here?
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021   #624
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez1967 View Post
This is going to be a big help once I start my rack/pump removal.

Should hopefully be ready to tackle it by Sunday.

What "phillips head screwdriver" tip are we talking about here?
Glad it will be of help for you Prez1967....between Jamall's thread (1991 Corvette ZR-1) and here....hopefully you should be covered to the job.... .the phillips screwdriver was just used to to drive out the rack bolt with a hammer after undoing the nut on the bottom ...you will be able to tap out the bolt until the top of the bolt gets wedged against the engine... it will come out much easier if you have another person use a pry bar as shown in the pic....between the engine and the top of the bolt ever so slightly when the top of the bolt is wedged on the engine....as you use the screwdriver or another thin object with the hammer to drive the bolt out.... a few good wacks and it pops right out......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 03-05-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2021   #625
Roadster

Was thinking about using Turn One as other members have used for their rack and pinion rebuilds.....have been doing further research and have found that Detroit Axle has new and remanufactured units in stock and for reasonable prices which includes outer tie rods and free shipping.....the only thing is that you need to return your unit to activate a lifetime warranty.....but you also have the option not to do so....
Talking with Detroit Axle....they did clarify that their New unit is New and has never been used on a vehicle.....and their remanufactured unit is just that...but the difference between a New and Remanufactured unit is $40....
So I'm thinking of going with a New complete unit and just keeping my original...instead of getting it rebuilt....
Has anyone used Detroit Axle??? thoughts.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 03-05-2021   #626
Ccmano

I have a steering rack that was rebuilt by Lone Star Caliper (the people Ecklers uses) for sale cheap. Has less than 200 miles on it. Will sell it out right, no core needed. PM if interested....
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021   #627
Mystic ZR-1

Great people at Lone Star Caliper!
Not just wholesale, give them a call!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021   #628
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
I have a steering rack that was rebuilt by Lone Star Caliper (the people Ecklers uses) for sale cheap. Has less than 200 miles on it. Will sell it out right, no core needed. PM if interested....
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Great people at Lone Star Caliper!
Not just wholesale, give them a call!
Just saw these 2 posts....great offer and suggestion....but I already made the move yesterday and ordered the new rack from Detroit Axle....all items made in the USA....again this rack is brand new and has never been on another vehicle....it will be pressure tested and any other tests needed before shipment will be performed as per their email....
I really gave it some thought with Turn One....I'm sure they do an excellent job on the rebuild....but when you add up the boots and the tie rods and shipment cost....IMO....it will be more $$$ in the end....with Detroit Axle.... the rack comes complete with boots and the end tie rods attached....plus free shipping and if you decide to take advantage of their life time warranty...then you have to ship your rack to them....and they are providing a prepaid shipping label.....so IMO you can't beat it....the only downside is that living in PA they had to collect sales tax.....but even with that....it is a great deal.... now I just have to decide whether or not to keep or send back my original rack....I still have time to think that over....
They even provided me a tracking # this AM and it will be shipped by UPS and they will notify me when it gets shipped.....great communication as well....
Can't wait.....let the cleaning begin.....a full afternoon scheduled in the garage today....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 03-06-2021   #629
Roadster

Just arrived minutes ago ...high pressure pump to gear hose...just need to order the other 3 hoses...now back to the garage....[emoji16]20210306_140509.jpg

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 03-06-2021   #630
Roadster

Simple question for anyone...IIRC the tube that come out of the top of the driver's side head and attaches to the airhorn....is that also part of the PVC system???
Looking into the hole in the head...it looks like a ton of carbon or whatever is clogged in there....should that be totally open...or is there a type of small filter in there that needs to be changed???
Thanks for any info....[emoji16]20210306_154637.jpg20210306_154653.jpg

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member