ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-01-2019   #51
RussMcB

Default Re: Car actively trying to swap ends on track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaclawski View Post
Any experience with it? How long does it last? I'm intrigued!
I've used it in the past, when I've had race tires more than a year old, they're hard, not grippy, and you want to get some more mileage out of them. The one I've used the most is "Formula V", but there are probably other good ones, too. You might want to buy it from a road racing parts store rather than drag racing or karting. https://www.jegs.com/i/Formula-V/398/FORMULA+V/10002/-1
Quote:
C-Beam bolts are good and tight...
That's too bad. I was hoping that was the problem. Oh, well, at least you now have peace of mind regarding them.
Quote:
I think there is a SCCA Track Night coming up ...
Charlotte next weekend? I'm planning to go.

Want me to bring my ZR-1 race tires/wheels? :-)
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]

Last edited by RussMcB; 06-01-2019 at 07:17 AM.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019   #52
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I've used it in the past, when I've had race tires more than a year old, they're hard, not grippy, and you want to get some more mileage out of them. The one I've used the most is "Formula V", but there are probably other good ones, too. You might want to buy it from a road racing parts store rather than drag racing or karting. https://www.jegs.com/i/Formula-V/398/FORMULA+V/10002/-1
That's too bad. I was hoping that was the problem. Oh, well, at least you now have peace of mind regarding them.Charlotte next weekend? I'm planning to go.

Want me to bring my ZR-1 race tires/wheels? :-)

I wasn't planning on running the roval, I've done it before and it was a blast, but in my Low Hp cars the oval part is kinda boring after a while, and I don't have the cajones to take a powerful car out there. I'm definitely not taking the Z out there until I'm 100% sure it is handling properly... It's one thing to go off @ 80 into a sand pit, an entirely different animal when there's a wall and you are going 160. If I get it sorted, I'll probably hit that track next year with it.

I was thinking the June 27th TNIA at CMP in SC, but I'll already be there the 22-23 for 2 full day track days, so I don't know if I'll have the energy to make that one. That's my opportunity to test the Z, so I might try...

All that said, I live in south Charlotte and CMS is not that far, I'd definitely come out just to watch if you were bringing your Z, and even if you are bringing a different car, maybe I'll drive my Z up there so you can peek at it, and run the touring laps.

Which brings us to the wheels/tires we've discussed on and off for what seems like a couple years . Given my current issues with the car, I may finally be interested in them, and the Charlotte event next weekend would make for an easy transaction. I'm mostly interested in the tires, remind me what's on the wheels? How old are they? I'll PM you my email.
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019   #53
RussMcB

Quote:
I'm mostly interested in the tires, remind me what's on the wheels? How old are they? I'll PM you my email.
Nitto NT05 tires. I guess they are three years old now. They've been stored in my garage all this time. Most of the details are here:

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26298

I was pretty happy with them. The car was easy to drive at the the limit. Never spun out with them. :-)

on edit: I just reread that post more closely, and (at that time) I was planning to keep four mounted wheels and tires for my own use, and selling the 'extras' in case someone was interested in them. However, now (since I have a full time race car), I actually have (almost) two full sets of race tires/wheels available.

This is a busy weekend for me, but I will try to pull them all out enough to take some current pictures. Got your PM with email. I'll touch base with you there, later. Thanks for the interest.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
Old 06-01-2019   #54
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Nitto NT05 tires. I guess they are three years old now. They've been stored in my garage all this time. Most of the details are here:

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26298

I was pretty happy with them. The car was easy to drive at the the limit. Never spun out with them. :-)

on edit: I just reread that post more closely, and (at that time) I was planning to keep four mounted wheels and tires for my own use, and selling the 'extras' in case someone was interested in them. However, now (since I have a full time race car), I actually have (almost) two full sets of race tires/wheels available.

This is a busy weekend for me, but I will try to pull them all out enough to take some current pictures. Got your PM with email. I'll touch base with you there, later. Thanks for the interest.

Sounds good, still a few days till the even, so no hurry. Are you going june 6 or 7? Looks like there is an event both days. I'll tentatively plan on going whatever day you are regardless of whether we figure out a wheel/tire package...
Old 06-01-2019   #55
RussMcB

I'll get there Friday afternoon. I'm doing the SARRC races. Saturday is a qualifying session, then a short race Saturday afternoon. Saturday evening there will be some racing under the lights (different class than mine). Sunday is a longer (40 minute) race. I'm in group 7. Here's the event schedule (PDF download):

https://ucarecdn.com/8fe626da-c9e1-4...-26a3e62020f6/

If you remind me I can put you on my crew list so you can get in for free. I promise not to make you work. :-)
Old 06-04-2019   #56
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Ok, While I still haven't had a chance to inspect the suspension/c-beam (real life, other projects...) It seems pretty clear that the Sumitomo's, even if not the main problem, certainly aren't helping anything.

So here is my dumb question:

Since the car really only struggles for rear grip and the front seems great, how bad of an idea would it be to replace only the rears? One of the fronts is 100% brand new, and the other is 90%(they'll even out after 2 track sessions, the driver side wears much faster)

Maybe I'm just being cheap, but I run 4 track cars, and the expenses really add up. If possible, I'd like to spend as little as I can replacing essentially new tires on a car that only gets 2-3 track days a year....

Curt
Why risk putting it in the fence with tires which are clearly not working for you?

Invest some money is some good tires that will work well on the track and you'll go a lot quicker and in a more safe manner.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019   #57
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
Why risk putting it in the fence with tires which are clearly not working for you?

Invest some money is some good tires that will work well on the track and you'll go a lot quicker and in a more safe manner.
Obviously there is no rational argument against anything you just said.

However, I never claimed to be bright! Also, if it isn't the tires, I don't want to mask an underlying issue(whether car or driving ability) that better tires might hide.

Probably going to buy some rear scuffs from Russ, and if it pushes I'll feel confident enough to replace all 4 with a better, or at least matched set.

I will say that post alignment, even though it's not a "Track" alignment, it does feel much better on the street. Rear "Thrust angle" was off quite a bit...

Curt