ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-28-2014   #51
Gunny

Default Re: "Straight" pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Wondering what would happen if I added those Magnaflow mufflers that Corvette Central has with the black LT-series tips. They're a "straight-through" design, so they should flow well, and I like my car LOUD. Know anything about those?
Corv Central lists 3 versions with LT tips from $259 to $303 ... all 3 have this description: "There are no chambers, no baffles and no louvers to restrict exhaust flow. You get wide open performance from Magnaflow. It doesn't flow any better than this." I'm reasonably certain that they will be not only LOUD but also have considerable DRONE which can be both annoying and obnoxious to those who don't like it.

Years ago one of the Vette catalog suppliers sold a turbo muffler with LT1 tips that was reputed to be louder than stock without the drone. I don't have first hand knowledge but perhaps someone else will remember and chime in.
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #52
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
The kind of hp cat-backs open up is mostly over 5000 rpm on these cars. Headers help the mid-range torque situation much, much more.
Definitely doing headers. Just trying to be pragmatic and explore ways of NOT throwing out a bunch of perfectly good 2-3/4" pipe. Now that my system has no resonator, if I could find the right mufflers, I'd be in business. Not into the whole Flowmaster 17228 thing with transplanting tips, though, if I can avoid it.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #53
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Corv Central lists 3 versions with LT tips from $259 to $303 ... all 3 have this description: "There are no chambers, no baffles and no louvers to restrict exhaust flow. You get wide open performance from Magnaflow. It doesn't flow any better than this." I'm reasonably certain that they will be not only LOUD but also have considerable DRONE which can be both annoying and obnoxious to those who don't like it.

Years ago one of the Vette catalog suppliers sold a turbo muffler with LT1 tips that was reputed to be louder than stock without the drone. I don't have first hand knowledge but perhaps someone else will remember and chime in.
Just trying to figure out what "drone" really is. My 87 convertible had Magnaflow cats and then nothing...straight pipes out the back. I wanted it louder than it was. It had some pretty LOUD resonance at certain RPM ranges but hey, it was a muscle car, and I liked it. The difference I have with the Z is the big greenhouse in back, but I still don't think the noise will bother me. It's what these cars are all about, as far as I'm concerned. That said, I still respect the opinion of you and others who take the time to offer advice. Tough call.
Old 04-29-2014   #54
Rex Ruby

Quote:
Hey guys,

LOVE my Z, but it's far too quiet with the stock exhaust. The '87 that I traded had only Magnaflow cats and no mufflers and I miss the sound. I rarely drive my car and when I do, I LOVE it loud! Guys on the other forum were bitching about how loud muffler eliminators were but I tried them anyway and LOVED them! Might have liked it louder, in fact.

So, I'm really set on a Corsa system but just I'm trying my best to be pragmatic and give proper consideration to different options before pulling the trigger. Wondering about just modifying my stock system by replacing the resonator with an X-pipe and deleting the mufflers altogether...just straight black LT-1 tips out the back. The only "mufflers" would be the cats, just like on my '87. I see very little potential for resonance with this setup. VERY, VERY inexpensive system, good return of HP, lots of sound.

Remember, I like to HEAR my car. If I want quiet, I drive my Camry.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Chris
My Z had a Borla system on it when I bought it. SInce I have muffler elims on my LT1 I thought that would be the way to go for the Z. Had pipes made up to eliminate the Borla mufflers. Didn't sound as nice as my LT1. Had an X pipe made up to replace the Borla resonator, so now all I have is the cats. Sounds GREAT, not too loud and was inexpensive.

'93 Ruby Coupe ZF6 - Muffler eliminators, Blink Blink kit and Polished ZR1 Wheels
* PA Plate: OBSSSN

'06 LeMans Blue C6 Coupe - Corsa exhaust
* PA Plate: OBSSSV

ZR1 Net Registry Founding Member #153
40th Anniversary Registry Member
NCM Family Membership #8116
Corvette Forum NE Events Coordinator
Delco Cruisers Board of Directors
SAVE THE WAVE!
Rex Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #55
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Ruby View Post
My Z had a Borla system on it when I bought it. SInce I have muffler elims on my LT1 I thought that would be the way to go for the Z. Had pipes made up to eliminate the Borla mufflers. Didn't sound as nice as my LT1. Had an X pipe made up to replace the Borla resonator, so now all I have is the cats. Sounds GREAT, not too loud and was inexpensive.
Great to hear, John. I am really considering this same setup. Just had my stock resonator removed yesterday and it didn't change a thing. Thinking about just taking it back to the shop and having them chop off the mufflers too.

How bad is the drone with straight pipes?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 04-29-2014   #56
Rex Ruby

Quote:
How bad is the drone with straight pipes?
Chris
Not bad at all, I really don't notice any.
They sound great when getting into it
Old 04-29-2014   #57
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Not bad at all, I really don't notice any.
They sound great when getting into it
Yeah, I think I've just made my decision. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2014   #58
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Hey John,

One more question for you...

I know that with open exhaust, there will be some "popping" on deceleration, and a bunch of guys are saying my chip will need to go back to Marc for recalibration. I don't mind that popping - had it on my L98 and loved it - but I don't want it to become full-on backfiring, which I understand is somewhat common on an LT5 anyway. Have you had any problem with backfiring...did you have to send your chip back to Marc?

Thanks again!
Chris
Old 04-30-2014   #59
Rex Ruby

I have some minor popping upon decel and I don't mind!
Haven't sent my chip back to Marc.
Old 04-30-2014   #60
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
I have some minor popping upon decel and I don't mind!
Haven't sent my chip back to Marc.
Sweet! Couldn't find any tips worth buying so I bought the LT1-tipped eliminators from Corvette Central yesterday. Can't wait!