ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Year you bought your car(s)
1989 1 0.47%
1990 4 1.88%
1991 3 1.41%
1992 1 0.47%
1993 1 0.47%
1994 5 2.35%
1995 7 3.29%
1996 2 0.94%
1997 3 1.41%
1998 7 3.29%
1999 3 1.41%
2000 8 3.76%
2001 4 1.88%
2002 10 4.69%
2003 12 5.63%
2004 2 0.94%
2005 8 3.76%
2006 4 1.88%
2007 13 6.10%
2008 5 2.35%
2009 5 2.35%
2010 12 5.63%
2011 11 5.16%
2012 16 7.51%
2013 18 8.45%
2014 21 9.86%
After 2014 53 24.88%
Before 1989 0 0%
Other 2 0.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2014   #51
Schrade

Default Re: When did you buy your ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodeddy View Post
The story: I was at bloomington gold in the summer of "89" and spotted the GM display tent, being a corvette nut, i wondered over to see what they had in the tent. Big mistake, there sit a prototype ZR-1 with some GM engineers to answer questions about the corvette. Needless to say i spent the weekin at the tent, I had been bitten by the ZR-1 bug. When i returned home I visited my local Chevy dealer to see if he had information on the ZR-1. The owner told me he would check it out. A few days later he called and said he had information on the ZR-1. I rushed to the dealer. He said he could order one for me but I had to put a large deposit down because he would have to send a tech to school on the ZR-1 in order to order one for me. I did and he placed the order as soon as GM would accept them, that was in August( I think) 1989. Finely in December or January we received the build number of 983. The car was built in late January 1990 (I was at the plant to watch the final assembly of the car) and took delivery about 3 weeks later, the dealer wanted to leave it in his show room for a week.
You're not one of those people who reportedly ante'd up $100k for the car???

If I had, I wouldn't be afraid to make such a disclosure (or maybe I'd plead the 5th too ).
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #52
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
You're not one of those people who reportedly ante'd up $100k for the car???

If I had, I wouldn't be afraid to make such a disclosure (or maybe I'd plead the 5th too ).
Do you mean pleading the 5th or drinking a 5th? I think she drank a 5th before showing up at the hearing

I removed the plenum yesterday (6 minute plenum removal) and installing new RC injectors today. Also blocking TB coolant at injector housing and coolant return line to surge tank but you will not be able to tell from the appearance as it will appear completely stock. This 38K mile ZR-1 was driven to my garage on Mon March 4th (this last week). Compression test showed 230 lbs on ALL 8 cylinders

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-09-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #53
JThomas

I bought my first ZR-1 in 2008. 1992 Bright Red/Black interior, VIN:#068. It was a high miler, that I enjoyed for 3 1/2 years.

I purchased my current ZR-1 in 2011. 1995 Bright Aqua/Gray,
VIN: #152.

Update: I purchased my current ZR-1, 1991 Copper Metallic, in November of 2016, VIN: 1078.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium

Last edited by JThomas; 09-04-2018 at 03:38 PM.
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #54
1990 quasar blue

1998 for me. 8500 miles at the time. I had been dreaming of one since high school when they came out. A good friend let me drive his around 1996 and I knew I had to make it happen. Two years and many hours of overtime later I was canceling the firebird formula I had ordered brand new while my ZR-1 was idling in the parking lot.
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #55
Racinfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Tuesday, March 4th 2014

That doesn't look like South Dakota...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #56
Dynomite

Default Dynomite Standard ZR-1 Restoration for any ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
That doesn't look like South Dakota...
That is sunny Central Valley CA.......I follow the sun and warm weather..............drive the ZR1s year around.

Last Week.......ALL Fluids changed out (AMSOIL 10W-40, Castrol 10W-60, Mobile 1 75W-90, DOT 4)......and Differential Case Drain Installed.

This week the Standard Dynomite Top End Restoration.......
New Inj Housing, Plenum, Crank Case Vent Gaskets, TB Coolant blocked.....
New SL4-205 RC Injectors, New Coolant Hoses with rounded edge clamps, Pressure wash (hot water) under Plenum and total engine pressure wash (with everything under Plenum removed and valley drain cleaned). Starter Solenoid will be restored and Alternator polished (not painted). A Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner Pulley was added yesterday.

Will also check all Oil Pan bolts and Water Pump bolts and possibly remove bolts and reinstall with Blue Loctite (One bolt at a time).

Notes:

1. If I had the gaskets in hand and new coolant hoses.....this complete restoration I would expect to take maybe a day with the wrenches. It is almost a must to have a high pressure washer connected directly to HOT water. The Transmission, Under the engine, front of engine, front suspension.....and particularly around the Oil Filter Adapter and below the Dipstick seem to be places where the most oil has been spilled over the years. Also have on hand a can of engine degreaser. Spray with degreaser and let it sit for a few minutes before hitting it with Hot High Pressure water.

2. On this LT5 it will appear TB coolant is intact as I plugged the rubber hose (going to Coolant Surge Tank) at the connection to Plenum and inserted 1/8 inch Allen Pipe Plug in Injector Housing. Also will retain original #40 Torx Plenum and Cam Cover Bolts. Carter Bling in Engine Compartment will be added. Original LT5 Color will be retained.....making this engine appear TOTAL STOCK.

3. New Tools These from Harbour Freight......

a. 1/4 inch drive Torx #40 hardened steel for Plenum and Cam Cover Bolts (just long enough to reach between those two tight runners on the Plenum).

b. 14 inch long combination 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch drive Flex Head Socket wrench strong enough (even using the 1/4 inch end) to remove the hardest to remove Torx Cam Cover Bolts. The 14 inch leverage eliminates the need for a cheater bar on the typical socket wrench.

The 10 minute Plenum Removal has been confirmed (once coolant is drained as in this case without TB coolant blocked at the start) The 10 Minute Plenum Removal TIPS

Before Alternator/Starter Removal (Note Injector Housing Coolant Blocked to TB - Red Allen Head Plug)

After Alternator/Starter Removal (One Hour Later....took extra time to pressure wash Engine with Hot Water and to recondition the Starter Solenoid).

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-11-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2014   #57
Schrade

Default Re: Dynomite Standard ZR-1 Restoration

Quote:
That is sunny Central Valley CA.......I follow the sun and warm weather..............drive the ZR1s year around

Last Week.......ALL Fluids changed out (AMSOIL 10W-40, Castrol 10W-60, Mobile 1 75W-90, DOT 4)......and Differential Case Drain Installed.

This week the Standard Dynomite Top End Restoration.......
New Inj Housing, Plenum, Crank Case Vent Gaskets, TB Coolant blocked.....
New SL4-205 RC Injectors, New Coolant Hoses with rounded edge clamps, Pressure wash (hot water) under Plenum and total engine pressure wash (with everything under Plenum removed). Starter Solenoid will be restored and Alternator polished (not painted). A Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner Pulley was added yesterday.

Note:

On this LT5 it will appear TB coolant is intact as I plugged the rubber hose (going to Coolant Surge Tank) at the connection to Plenum and inserted 1/8 inch Allen Pipe Plug in Injector Housing. Also will retain original #40 Torx Plenum and Cam Cover Bolts. Carter Bling in Engine Compartment will be added. Original LT5 Color will be retained.....making this engine appear TOTAL STOCK
Sounds great there Cliff! Total photo-doc and vid resto thread on the way huh!
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2014   #58
Dynomite

Default Re: Dynomite Standard ZR-1 Restoration for any ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Sounds great there Cliff! Total photo-doc and vid resto thread on the way huh!
I will take some shots I missed last couple times I restored a top end to get the complete set of Stock Vacuum lines and Vacuum line routing for a 90'.

And maybe some other shots if I find some new technique or way of doing things

But my 10 minute Plenum Removal has been confirmed (once coolant is drained as in this case without TB coolant blocked at the start) The 10 Minute Plenum Removal TIPS

So no photos of that as I was racing and if I took photos it would be a 60 minute Plenum Removal

But what I will do is show a couple NEW tools in that 10 minute plenum removal thread for those that have stock Torx #40s for the plenum that are hard to get at and need a bit of leverage....See above Dynomite Standard ZR-1 Restoration post above

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-10-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2014   #59
Schrade

Default Re: Dynomite Standard ZR-1 Restoration for any ZR-1

Quote:
I will take some shots I missed last couple times I restored a top end to get the complete set of Stock Vacuum lines and Vacuum line routing for a 90'.

And maybe some other shots if I find some new technique or way of doing things

But my 10 minute Plenum Removal has been confirmed (once coolant is drained as in this case without TB coolant blocked at the start) The 10 Minute Plenum Removal TIPS

So no photos of that as I was racing and if I took photos it would be a 60 minute Plenum Removal

But what I will do is show a couple NEW tools in that 10 minute plenum removal thread for those that have stock Torx #40s for the plenum that are hard to get at and need a bit of leverage....See above
Dynomite Standard ZR-1 Restoration post above
Yeah yeah yeah.

Video or it didn't happen. PhotoChopHack VERBOTEN.

Like alternator removal / install.

Need to borrow my tripod?

Last edited by Schrade; 03-10-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2014   #60
Schrade

Last edited by Schrade; 03-10-2014 at 06:45 PM.