Let's wait and see 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2008   #51
petefias

Default Re: 09 ZR1 as part of ZR-1 Net REGISTRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR WON
Guys:

I said it on the CF, and I'll say it here... For the well-being of the ZR-1 Net Registry, we *must* include the new ZR1(the old ones should be welcome as well, but they are so rare, it's really a non-issue)... I've been around ZR-1s longer than many of you(as the old-timers here can attest). The ZR-1 was my dream car at 16, and I bought one when I was 23 and just out of college. Nothing in my mind, not even this new ZR1, will eclipse what the ZR-1 did for me.

The 1990 ZR-1 inspired me to go on to college, and subsequently achieve success in my profession(just to make the damned payment out of college, I had to succeed ). FWIW, my profession is marketing and sales... And I'm telling you guys this: You want the ZR-1 Net Registry Event in Bowling Green to be like it was back in the mid to late 90s?(those were some of the best Corvette events I've *ever* attended). You want several ZR-1 Net Registry meets around the country each year(ala the original ZR-1 Registry/Net)?? *INCLUDE* the new ZR1... Period

Everyone of you who says that the new car isn't the same, etc, are absolutely correct; I do not dispute it. But for the long-term success of the ZR-1 Net Registry, the answer to this question has only one response: YES! Our cars share the same nomenclature as the new Super Vette. Even GM(and GM's advertising for the Corvette has faltered in recent years) is playing off our Legendary ZR-1s!!! Imitation is the finest form of flattery.

Further, *someone* with our group(Ron, Dwight?) should contact Chevrolet and figure out a way to have a ZR-1 Net Registry membership included with the purchase of a new ZR1. My Dad still has the '63 he bought new and that purchase included a free year subscription of Corvette News. You know what? Dad has every issue of Corvette News(now Corvette Quarterly) since. Why? It's much easier to have someone renew a membership, than to sign up the first time(human nature).

By linking Our Registry to the new car, it could prove a financial windfall that hasn't been seen since the demise of our beloved ZR-1 in 1995. That would allow us to do more things(such as pay for Jingles to come to BG for the event and not be a financial burden), lobby for better pricing with vendors(more members, more incentives for vendors to give us better price, ie, strength in numbers), etc.

I could go on and on about the positives of this, but anyone who looks at this objectively(and not with your heart, because I do understand those who pound their chest saying "C4 ZR-1s are the real KOTH!" Part of me feels that way too). Regardless of ZR-1 Net Registry being Non Profit, it's still a business. And including the new ZR1 makes business sense.

Brian A.
1990 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Perfect first post!
petefias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #52
XfireZ51

Default Re: 09 ZR1 as part of ZR-1 Net

Well said Brian. I'll just add that it isn't simply a matter of good business. The 09 is the next iteration of our C4 ZR1. That it doesn't have 4 cams and 32 valves doesn't change the fact GM chose to "honor" it with the KOTH name. Its the way GM decided to do it. Its their car, its their choice and we can't deny it.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #53
ZR 601

Quote:
Guys:

I said it on the CF, and I'll say it here... For the well-being of the ZR-1 Net Registry, we *must* include the new ZR1(the old ones should be welcome as well, but they are so rare, it's really a non-issue)... I've been around ZR-1s longer than many of you(as the old-timers here can attest). The ZR-1 was my dream car at 16, and I bought one when I was 23 and just out of college. Nothing in my mind, not even this new ZR1, will eclipse what the ZR-1 did for me.

The 1990 ZR-1 inspired me to go on to college, and subsequently achieve success in my profession(just to make the damned payment out of college, I had to succeed ). FWIW, my profession is marketing and sales... And I'm telling you guys this: You want the ZR-1 Net Registry Event in Bowling Green to be like it was back in the mid to late 90s?(those were some of the best Corvette events I've *ever* attended). You want several ZR-1 Net Registry meets around the country each year(ala the original ZR-1 Registry/Net)?? *INCLUDE* the new ZR1... Period

Everyone of you who says that the new car isn't the same, etc, are absolutely correct; I do not dispute it. But for the long-term success of the ZR-1 Net Registry, the answer to this question has only one response: YES! Our cars share the same nomenclature as the new Super Vette. Even GM(and GM's advertising for the Corvette has faltered in recent years) is playing off our Legendary ZR-1s!!! Imitation is the finest form of flattery.

Further, *someone* with our group(Ron, Dwight?) should contact Chevrolet and figure out a way to have a ZR-1 Net Registry membership included with the purchase of a new ZR1. My Dad still has the '63 he bought new and that purchase included a free year subscription of Corvette News. You know what? Dad has every issue of Corvette News(now Corvette Quarterly) since. Why? It's much easier to have someone renew a membership, than to sign up the first time(human nature).

By linking Our Registry to the new car, it could prove a financial windfall that hasn't been seen since the demise of our beloved ZR-1 in 1995. That would allow us to do more things(such as pay for Jingles to come to BG for the event and not be a financial burden), lobby for better pricing with vendors(more members, more incentives for vendors to give us better price, ie, strength in numbers), etc.

I could go on and on about the positives of this, but anyone who looks at this objectively(and not with your heart, because I do understand those who pound their chest saying "C4 ZR-1s are the real KOTH!" Part of me feels that way too) can't argue with this logic. Regardless of ZR-1 Net Registry being Non Profit, it's still a business. And including the new ZR1 makes business sense.

Brian A.
1990 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
=D> Agreed
ZR 601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #54
Aurora40

Quote:
But for the long-term success of the ZR-1 Net Registry, the answer to this question has only one response: YES!
Why does any sort of long term vision only have an unhappy ending if it's the LT5 powered cars? Aren't there lots of registries and groups for cars that are no longer being made? Are they all going downhill?

As an example, if there was a registry for the ~300 1953 cars, would you say they should include the 2053 MY car when it comes out, in order to have long-term success? They are both '53s. I realize this example is contrived, but I can't think of a good real-world one. But I'm sure there are groups/organizations/registries of long-discontinued cars. And they keep going without needing to find "new blood" in the way of unrelated current model cars.

As long as there are owners of 1990-1995 ZR-1's who are interested in keeping their cars on the road, there will be a need for the ZR-1 Net Registry. If there comes a point where this isn't true, then who cares if the registry persists because it is propped up by C6 ZR1 owners?

What I mean is, if the registry dies, it will be because there isn't a need for it by LT5/ZR-1 owners. In which case, let it die. I doubt that will happen though.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #55
ZR WON

Bob:

I appreciate your thoughts, but we'll have to agree to disagree....

IMHO, some people just aren't thinking objectively, merely looking at it from a personal love of the ZR-1. That's admirable, to a point. The bottom line is: If we aren't accepting of change, we will suffer. This holds true in personal relationships, business, really any part of our lives. If you aren't changing, you are dying! That's a fact!

I can tell this will turn into a urination contest shortly, so I guess if the majority rules to not include(and embrace) the new ZR1, then rest assured, your ending scenario will play out. And to me, that's the greatest travesty of all. A great organization potentially dwindling to nothing due to a refusal to accept change.

Brian A.
1990 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
note quite stock

Last edited by ZR WON; 01-09-2008 at 02:50 PM.
ZR WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #56
carter200

Quote:
And to me, that's the greatest travesty of all. A great organization potentially dwindling to nothing due to a refusal to accept change.

Brian A.
1990 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
note quite stock
You and Hillary Don't know which ones worse
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #57
ZR WON

Hey Carter:

I don't believe that I attacked anyone personally in my posts, merely thoughts/opinions. I don't appreciate the personal attack, nor the reference to Hillary...

Brian A.
1990 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
ZR WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #58
carter200

Was just funnin with ya. Guess you can't take a joke so never will again to you.
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #59
Pete

Quote:
Guys:

I could go on and on about the positives of this, but anyone who looks at this objectively(and not with your heart, because I do understand those who pound their chest saying "C4 ZR-1s are the real KOTH!" Part of me feels that way too) can't argue with this logic. Regardless of ZR-1 Net Registry being Non Profit, it's still a business. And including the new ZR1 makes business sense.

Brian A.
1990 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock

Long term success thought you were smarter then that,the Buick GN's are still going strong.

Financial windfall this is why we pay to the ZR1NetRegistry.
Remember when most paid and got screwed $50 from LT5Registry (my self included) so if the ZR1NetRegistry needs more money they can raise membership fees and keep it private.
Brian please explain to the newbies why we are called ZR1NetRegistry
you've been around a long time.

Maybe only founding members should have the right to vote on this.

The ZR1NetRegistry is getting better then ever,let's not get too greedy.

Another good reason i don't want the new ZR1 in here it will get a lot of venders/sponsors and become a corporate run forum and the members won't matter anymore just like the other forums.
If the owners of the ZR1NetRegistry need more money they can start a new C6ZR1Forum and charge them a membership fee and get the sponsors over there.

Why would we help GM promote there new ZR1 when they screwed the old ZR-1 owners with bad windshields and left us hanging on parts.

We could always get better vender pricing if we stick togather i have done a lot of research on some parts for our cars that would cost a 1/10 of what they are selling right now but i noticed nobody is/was interested so i gave up.

I'm all in for the new ZR1 to join us at BG gatherings or any ZR-1/Corvette gatherings.

Again the 2 cars have absolutly nothing in common they are gallaxies apart.
Maybe the new ZR1 guys can help us find our 32 pushrods.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #60
Pete

Quote:
Bob:

I appreciate your thoughts, but we'll have to agree to disagree....

IMHO, some people just aren't thinking objectively, merely looking at it from a personal love of the ZR-1. That's admirable, to a point. The bottom line is: If we aren't accepting of change, we will suffer. This holds true in personal relationships, business, really any part of our lives. If you aren't changing, you are dying! That's a fact!

I can tell this will turn into a urination contest shortly, so I guess if the majority rules to not include(and embrace) the new ZR1, then rest assured, your ending scenario will play out. And to me, that's the greatest travesty of all. A great organization potentially dwindling to nothing due to a refusal to accept change.

Brian A.
1990 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
note quite stock
Brian, just read this one and made me chuckle, well you do kind of sound like a politician when you use words like "greatest travesty"
Katrina was a great travesty not a corvette forum going under
or "potentially dwindleling"
Brian, for US Vice President with Hillary as president
Brian this one is not a joke i'm for real you got my vote.

Pete

Disclaimer:The above is a joke.
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage

Last edited by Pete; 01-09-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote