ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-16-2011   #51
VetteMed

Default Re: Update on my hi-miler Z project

Update: First Drive! Took the car to the exhaust shop today, and it ran perfectly! Idled well, great power, chassis feels good (needs alignment, but everything is tight). Love those Corsas, nice and quiet at cruise but wicked on acceleration.

I did get a Service Ride Control light, with lots of codes thrown, guess I have some work ahead of me in that regard. The actuators work, and the shocks are all good, so I guess I've got some electrical troubleshooting to do.

Also, the rear differential is still leaking from the pinion seal, even though I put a new seal in. I've ordered a sleeve kit and another seal to see if perhaps there's some wear of the pinion shaft causing the leak.
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #52
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Update: First Drive! Took the car to the exhaust shop today, and it ran perfectly! Idled well, great power, chassis feels good (needs alignment, but everything is tight). Love those Corsas, nice and quiet at cruise but wicked on acceleration.

I did get a Service Ride Control light, with lots of codes thrown, guess I have some work ahead of me in that regard. The actuators work, and the shocks are all good, so I guess I've got some electrical troubleshooting to do.

Also, the rear differential is still leaking from the pinion seal, even though I put a new seal in. I've ordered a sleeve kit and another seal to see if perhaps there's some wear of the pinion shaft causing the leak.
Glad you got a chance to put a grin on after all the hard work you've done on her Andrew !
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #53
tomtom72

sweet deal Andrew! I'm happy for you that the car is getting to the finish line!

When I r&r'ed my old shocks for the new ones I got the same reaction from the ride control light. It took a number of times clearing the codes in my case to get the system to calm down. I do not know why. I knew that I had the mechanical steps done correctly and the electrical connections were good. Yet for the first 20 miles or so I got every DTC in the chart!
I just kept reading them & clearing them and it stopped happening eventually. I still do not know why or if it's just that I disturbed the system. It was just strange & drove me nuts for a day or two.

On the pinion leak. Did you notice on the pinion shaft where the seal rides any pitting or rust or even a 'groove' from wear? Sometimes a crocus cloth and some WD40 can clean it up enough so the new seal has a chance to seat. If the pinion shaft is in good condition, the vent could be causing an issue if it is clogged....but unless the old fluid was like tar I doubt that vent would be at fault.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #54
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
sweet deal Andrew! I'm happy for you that the car is getting to the finish line!

When I r&r'ed my old shocks for the new ones I got the same reaction from the ride control light. It took a number of times clearing the codes in my case to get the system to calm down. I do not know why. I knew that I had the mechanical steps done correctly and the electrical connections were good. Yet for the first 20 miles or so I got every DTC in the chart!
I just kept reading them & clearing them and it stopped happening eventually. I still do not know why or if it's just that I disturbed the system. It was just strange & drove me nuts for a day or two.

On the pinion leak. Did you notice on the pinion shaft where the seal rides any pitting or rust or even a 'groove' from wear? Sometimes a crocus cloth and some WD40 can clean it up enough so the new seal has a chance to seat. If the pinion shaft is in good condition, the vent could be causing an issue if it is clogged....but unless the old fluid was like tar I doubt that vent would be at fault.

Tom
Tom, thanks for the info regarding the FX3 codes, I'm hoping that's what's going on in this case, since the system worked fine before I took it all apart.

When I had the diff apart a few months ago to replace the seal, I really didn't see any pitting or grooving or rust on the surface of the pinion shaft. However, it's possible I missed a spot, I suppose. I cleaned out the vent at that time, and it appeared to be functioning normally.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 02-17-2011   #55
tomtom72

I'm sure there is nothing on the pinion shaft! I should have figured you did a tear down on the rear gear, Andrew! My bad.

I'll bet the seal may have been bad out of the box? It seems it is hard to get good quality in parts today. You cleaned out the seal bore, right? I'm just trying to be your check list.

Yea, on the FX3. I don't know why all the DTC's. It drove me nuts. Just bear with it because I know you know it went back together right!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 02-17-2011   #56
VetteMed

A bad seal out of the box would be a nice explanation! I don't think I cleaned the seal bore all that well, so it's possible there's seepage from around the seal rather than through it. Good point, Tom. I'll get it taken apart again and report back
Old 02-17-2011   #57
ittlfly

Andrew, The car looks great now. It's not the same car I saw when it was in Redding a few years back. It was a real disaster.
Old 02-17-2011   #58
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
A bad seal out of the box would be a nice explanation! I don't think I cleaned the seal bore all that well, so it's possible there's seepage from around the seal rather than through it. Good point, Tom. I'll get it taken apart again and report back
Is it leaking that bad? I was thinking that maybe it could take a while to become friends with the pinion shaft. I know that my car sat so much by the O.O. that I developed seeps at the stub axle seals because I drove her......but after awhile they stopped..... I know I should have pulled it out & torn it down right away....someday I will.
Old 02-20-2011   #59
VetteMed

I bought a Timken sleeve kit from RockAuto, and installed it on the yoke. Installed a new seal in the housing, greased the splines, and the inside surface of the seal, and bolted it all back together. We'll see if it begins to leak again. I reset the SRC codes, now down to only four codes instead of 6, so I guess that's some progress. Probably going to drive it to work tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2011   #60
mike100

This wasn't the car that was for sale on CL in Ramona last year was it? I almost called to have a look at it.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote