ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-09-2014   #51
Dynomite

Default Re: My last effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsumark View Post
At this point I'm so sick and disgusted after the initial cost of the car,all the additional cash I put into it, and really growing attached to the car..I honestly think my best most rational option is to cut my losses at this point and let her go..I guess ZR1 ownership was not in my cards and I'm in way over my head..I'm gonna be honest guys,,I'm gonna put it out there and say I will take 10K on the car as it sits
Just hang on.....there ought to be someone near by that can come over and take a look. How many miles on the car/engine?

What are the modifications?

I say hang on so someone on this Forum can take a look at the engine for ya.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #52
Mitsumark

Car has 75K on it..Motor only has about 13-14K give or take..A few of you have PMed me asking for specifics on the car..Again I will try and write up a more detailed description this weekend.The basics are

91ZR1 with 75K
Black/Black
Vette Docs built 368 w forged rods,JE Pistons,Portwork(Comes w 458HP Dyno Sheet 2003)
Jeal Intake cams
Fidanza Flywheel w Carolina Clutch (Stage 2)
Watson Thermal Coated Headers into B&B Triflow catless exhaust
Large Fluidyne Radiator with Large oil cooler upgrade(stacked)w Braided Hoses & AN Fittings
Samco Radiator Hoses
FIC Stainless Injectors
MSD coils w Magnecore 9mm wires
Moroso Steel Billet Catch Can
Marc Haibeck EPROM
DRM/Bilstein Coilovers
Z06/Wildwood front Brake Conversion
Torque Thrust 2 Wheels w Nitto 555 (Brand New Combo)
Pioneer Indash DVD/IPOD player w Pioneer door/Hatch speakers..

I have all documentation for upgrades..

Dyno- I want to keep it so bad..There's nobody around me though..

Last edited by Mitsumark; 04-09-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #53
Karl

If you sell the Z, are you going to buy another sports car?
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #54
Mitsumark

When This car came into my possession last year,,It didn't burn a drop of oil..I daily drove it for a few months and it ran like a top and no oil usage..Believe it or not,this literally started with me changing the chip and relocating the IAT sensor to the front bumper..That very day the car started to smoke a bit..Maybe coincidence?I don't know..I tried backtracking by moving back the sensor,,but the original chip was written over..When the oil burning got bad enough to foul a couple plugs?I thought it was weird that the plugs had oil not only on the insulator/electrode,,but oil on the thread of the plug(opposite of firing end) Oil is far enough up the thread that I was thinking maybe it just needs a few spark plug seals..I looked into what I needed to do to pull the covers and found out I have to remove the seat,,the brake booster..After weeks of aggravation I just don't have the mental energy to do it..So it is possible that something major is wrong,could be something as simple as IH gaskets or spark plug seals..,But like a previous poster said.. I would think there would be some kind of major drivability problem..This car is a rocket..Step on the gas and hold on because she gets squirrelly real easy..When I bought this car I was originally looking for an LT4 car as they are a lot less complex..I've read many stories ahead of time about people wanting a ZR1, but wouldn't buy one due to the lack of knowledgable wrenches that know them well..It seems they are all congregated in Chicago..Now I understand as there isn't anybody here in NY/NJ that really works on these cars and I'm stuck with a problem I can't figure out..10-15 yrs ago I woulda pulled this thing is the garage, yanked it apart without hesitation, figured out the problem and fixed it myself..However fast forward to now with me being self employed,having a little boy,life is very hectic and I know longer have the desire to spend what little time I have working on a car..This was a mistake on my part as I shoulda thought this out before I jumped in..

Pushrod-Don't know what I'm gonna get..I've always owned a toy..Had many Porsches and a highly modded Mitsus..But again I spent many hrs working on them over the years..Then it was fun..Not anymore..I just may buy myself a 08-2010 Maxima..My wife has one and I love the car..I must be getting old
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #55
Karl

I would let the car sit for awhile until it gets off your mind and the negative emotions towards the car go away. It just seems odd that the oil burning stopped momentarily after installing a oil catch can but then the oil burning came back.

Seems like if it were valve seals or something mechanical it would have kept burning oil and not stopped momentarily.

Good luck!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #56
chriskinzel

Mark,
Your pain is felt by me and others. I also live a long way from help (SLC, UT) and know how frustrating this can feel. I have had many issues that the brotherhood have helped me with, but if the problem is ever inside the motor I am done as well. We will all miss hearing of your success in fixing the problem, as I know that you could it you had the time. I personally know that sometimes you have to cut your losses and get out. I wish you all the best in finding your next 'toy'.

Good luck
Chris
91 ZR-1 Red on Red #922
chriskinzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #57
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
I would let the car sit for awhile until it gets off your mind and the negative emotions towards the car go away. It just seems odd that the oil burning stopped momentarily after installing a oil catch can but then the oil burning came back.

Seems like if it were valve seals or something mechanical it would have kept burning oil and not stopped momentarily.

Good luck!
Not sure it works that way. I put mine away early last year and when I think about getting it out I go between, Yes, can't wait to drive it! and ****, it's still broken.
Old 04-10-2014   #58
Mr Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not sure it works that way. I put mine away early last year and when I think about getting it out I go between, Yes, can't wait to drive it! and ****, it's still broken.
Kevin
What issues are you having with your Z?? All the more reason to get an owners' group together for our area! We need to help each other.

Not to divert attention from Mitzumark's issues. I sincerely hope neither of you abandon ZR-1 ownership, but would understand that decision. Been over that barrel before.

David
Mr Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #59
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue View Post
Kevin
What issues are you having with your Z?? All the more reason to get an owners' group together for our area! We need to help each other.

Not to divert attention from Mitzumark's issues. I sincerely hope neither of you abandon ZR-1 ownership, but would understand that decision. Been over that barrel before.

David
I'm going to PM you so we can keep this thread on track
Old 04-10-2014   #60
scottfab

Quote:
When This car came into my possession last year,,It didn't burn a drop of oil..I daily drove it for a few months and it ran like a top and no oil usage..Believe it or not,this literally started with me changing the chip and relocating the IAT sensor to the front bumper..That very day the car started to smoke a bit..Maybe coincidence?I don't know
Really sorry to hear. Mods can go wrong weather related to the smoking issue or not.

Quote:
..I tried backtracking by moving back the sensor,,but the original chip was written over..
Maybe the original tune had an undocumented and proprietary tweak that is now missing.

Quote:
...snip...

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote