ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-22-2014   #41
Blue Flame Restorations

Default Re: "Straight" pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
My ZR-1 has undergone some evolutionary changes from stock, to it's current configuration & honestly, it's obnoxious and not real fun to travel in, because of the noise. The fact is, I don't travel in it.

If I can ever get around to it, I want to put a C6 style, muffler set up on it with the WOT valves, or whatever they are called.

It is good looking though!

Jerry, I have a set of the C6 Z06 tips with the valves. Just PM me if interested.

Brett!
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #42
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Awesome car!, I still remember when it ran the fighter jet at Nellis AFB
It was a really cool thing.

Wasn't much of a run. Frenchie never really got on it. Wish they would have let me drive. Of course there's no way to keep up with an F16 in clean configuration in a max, afterburner takeoff.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #43
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
It was a really cool thing.

Wasn't much of a run. Frenchie never really got on it. Wish they would have let me drive. Of course there's no way to keep up with an F16 in clean configuration in a max, afterburner takeoff.
Even a 0-60 or 0-100mph run? I can see a car leaving harder than a jet.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #44
KILLSHOTS

Anyone know anything about the Magnaflow mufflers that Corvette Central has? They have the black LT-series tips, so they'd match the appearance of a later Z, and they're a "straight-through" design. These on a stock system plus an X-pipe in place of a resonator would be pretty free-flowing, eh?
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #45
msorenso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Also I had loud-azz borlas on an LT1 C4 before with totally stock everything else...very loud and droned in the hatchback badly. The mufflers do all the heavy lifting.

Interesting, I was always curious how that combo worked out.
Corsa Exhaust No Cat
SW Stainless Long Tube Headers
MSD Coils
DRM Coil Overs
Hurst Shifter
ZF Doc Beam Plates
Center Force Dual Friction
msorenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #46
KILLSHOTS

Well, I had my stock 90 resonator replaced today with an H-pipe and I am SHOCKED with the result: there is virtually ZERO difference in sound. I don't detect any drone anywhere in the range or popping on decel, which is good, but there's certainly no additional sound. Not sure about power, as I only got to rev it to maybe 4500 afterward but I didn't detect any SOTP difference.

Looks like the mufflers do all the work on a stock 90 system. Driving it back to back, I don't see any reason for the resonator in the first place. Sure am glad this little experiment was cheap.
Old 04-28-2014   #47
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Well, I had my stock 90 resonator replaced today with an H-pipe and I am SHOCKED with the result: there is virtually ZERO difference in sound. I don't detect any drone anywhere in the range or popping on decel, which is good, but there's certainly no additional sound. Not sure about power, as I only got to rev it to maybe 4500 afterward but I didn't detect any SOTP difference.

Looks like the mufflers do all the work on a stock 90 system. Driving it back to back, I don't see any reason for the resonator in the first place. Sure am glad this little experiment was cheap.
Keep in mind, you will be moving 50%? more air through the exhaust at higher RPM. That's when the opener exhaust will make more diffrance.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #48
Gunny

If you had a totally stock 90 exhaust system then swapping the resonator for an H or X pipe (using at least 2.75" pipe) will free up a good bit of restriction but the remaining restriction is the stock mufflers, necked down to just over 2" and only one tip open. Changing to later C4 mufflers will free up more of the restriction without changing the sound dramatically (i.e. still stock quiet with no resonance).

For LOUD without resonance you should check out Corsa ... again, the best thing is to listen to and/or ride in Z's with the systems you're interested in. Since I first installed Corsas in a 94 LT1 I thought it would be the perfect system for my 90 Z ... wrong assumption. Once I put headers on and deleted the cats the Corsas were now too loud for my taste even though there was no resonance. I know Z-owners who love Corsas and other Z-owners that absolutely despise Corsas ... bottom line, put on what YOU like.
Founding Member #14
www.zrwon.com
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #49
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
If you had a totally stock 90 exhaust system then swapping the resonator for an H or X pipe (using at least 2.75" pipe) will free up a good bit of restriction but the remaining restriction is the stock mufflers, necked down to just over 2" and only one tip open. Changing to later C4 mufflers will free up more of the restriction without changing the sound dramatically (i.e. still stock quiet with no resonance).

For LOUD without resonance you should check out Corsa ... again, the best thing is to listen to and/or ride in Z's with the systems you're interested in. Since I first installed Corsas in a 94 LT1 I thought it would be the perfect system for my 90 Z ... wrong assumption. Once I put headers on and deleted the cats the Corsas were now too loud for my taste even though there was no resonance. I know Z-owners who love Corsas and other Z-owners that absolutely despise Corsas ... bottom line, put on what YOU like.
Wondering what would happen if I added those Magnaflow mufflers that Corvette Central has with the black LT-series tips. They're a "straight-through" design, so they should flow well, and I like my car LOUD. Know anything about those?
Old 04-28-2014   #50
mike100

The kind of hp cat-backs open up is mostly over 5000 rpm on these cars. Headers help the mid-range torque situation much, much more.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote