ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-22-2013   #41
rkreigh

Default Re: Water/Methanol Injection...

cool stuff. I think running pure alchy would help on my engine as the CR has been bumped to 12-1.

but keep in mind the pent roof combustion chamber and dished pistons on the LT5 are very detonation resistant so the bottom line is that if your fuel and octane aren't detonating, you won't make much power.

we tried advancing timing on my motor and it didn't detonate, but it didn't make any more power either. the LPE calibration had like 31 degree and marc used 29 and it did just as well. LPE was hoping the engine would make a bit more power running race gas. wasn't needed.

no doubt that cleaning the carbon off and keeping everything clean will help the engine. one "bad side effect" of the LT5 is it tends to be a "carbon machine" and unless it gets enough time at WOT stretching it's legs, it tends to get carboned up.

from what I see on the direct injection engines, not having the fuel to help clean off the valves can be a real issue. so alchy injection into the intake to "rinse it off" makes alot of sense.

I run alchy injection on the TT Z06 and it allows me to crank the boost from 13 to 17 psi running pump gas. but the HP goes from 600 to 800 at the tires which honestly is more than I can hook up so it doesn't get used.

I'm going to run some through at a lower setting just to clean off the valves and pistons and see if it runs better as soon as we get some hot weather. (poor mans seafoam)
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #42
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Wow that's a clean install!

VERY NICE!!!

I need Frank to "approve" my car!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #43
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
Wow that's a clean install!

VERY NICE!!!

I need Frank to "approve" my car!

David
Thanks, I am working on getting some decals made before the gathering so that if you get the thumbs up from Frank W. you will get a decal. This is a joke from last year that we are bringing to life this year. My rough draft decal.

Last edited by Tony Davila; 01-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Tony Davila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #44
CJ_ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
Thanks, I am working on getting some decals made before the gathering so that if you get the thumbs up from Frank W. you will get a decal. This is a joke from last year that we are bringing to life this year. My rough draft decal.
Love the decal Tony!

Can't wait for May

[B]1991[/B] ZR-1 #834 [COLOR=royalblue][B]Steel Blue Metallic/Steel Blue[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Frank Approved ZR-1[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]- Ported air horn, throttle body, plenum and injector housings (Tommy Morrison)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]- FIC SS Injectors / Nology hot wires / Screemin Deamin coils[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]- Fluidyne aluminum radiator and 9 row aluminum oil cooler[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]- 4.10 gears / Fidanza light weight flywheel / Hurst short throw shifter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]- Stainless Works long tube headers / Borla exhaust with x-pipe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]- DRM Coilovers / 32mm front 26mm rear sway bars[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]- ASM bolt in 4 point roll bar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]- 93 ZR-1 Sawblades[/SIZE]
CJ_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #45
Daniel_Mc

Tony,

Really nice install bro I'm anxious to see the dyno numbers. I think you are going to have a larger gain than you think. Like yourself and others have said its good to clean out the engine as well.

Daniel

[B]1989[/B] Red Coupe #10166
[COLOR=black][B]1989 [/B]Black[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Coupe #23990[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][B]1991[/B] ZR-1 White #1639[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]FRANK APPROVED ZR-1[/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red][COLOR=black]1996[/COLOR] G[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]S[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]port[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=black]Coupe #564[/COLOR]

========================================
"It's not about the car, it's about the people..." DJ
Don't forget to support your [URL="http://corvettemuseum.com/"]National Corvette Museum[/URL]!!!
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #46
Tony Davila

Thanks Daniel, I need to redyno my ride again with it on. I would like to know how much more I gain. But..... Dynos cost money and you need the time to do it so I will have to wait.

I'm telling you I feel the difference so I am a believer.
Old 01-23-2013   #47
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
Thanks Daniel, I need to redyno my ride again with it on. I would like to know how much more I gain. But..... Dynos cost money and you need the time to do it so I will have to wait.

I'm telling you I feel the difference so I am a believer.
As with any mod, its nice to have a quantitative measure. Even 2 drag strip runs, 1 activated and 1 not activated. And see the resultant mph difference.

Glad it worked out for ya.

peace
Hog
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #48
Tony Davila

Thanks Hog, hopefully I can get a dyno run in before the Gathering to give more data for those that have contemplated installing a system.
Old 01-23-2013   #49
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post

we tried advancing timing on my motor and it didn't detonate, but it didn't make any more power either. the LPE calibration had like 31 degree and marc used 29 and it did just as well. LPE was hoping the engine would make a bit more power running race gas. wasn't needed.
Thanks rkreigh, you just answered my question about adding more timing to gain more. Perhaps it is not necessary on the LT5 due to it's characteristics but may work better on LS motor. Just guessing......
Old 01-23-2013   #50
VetteVet

Tony,

I'm not sure of how the control systems on these systems work, but you're not getting a valid vacuum signal by tying in upstream of the throttle plates at the IAT sensor location.

As load increases, plenum pressure rises, however at the air horn pressure is at it's highest at low load and decreases as load increases.

Don't know if this means anything or not. Just throwing it out there.

Jep
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote