ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-27-2006   #41
Jeffvette

Default Re: UNLUCKY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZR
Jeff you’ve got me thinking about a PC job! Do you have pictures of black w/red letters?
Yup

Old 10-27-2006   #42
RedZR

Tyler,

You sound as if you have experience with this. Just how common of a problem is this- do these bolts often come out?

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
This is a little late but I thought I would post it for future reference. Find a borescope borrow it, use it to look before you take it apart. Get a good vacuum cleaner neck it down to a flex hose that fits into spark plug hole and rotate piston to bottom and suck until it comes out, also can sometimes use a flex magnet. I also have used air pressure through a flexable hose when the motor was rotated with the exhaust valves open, used the air until it bounced the dropped screw(yeah I dropped it down the IH when the intake exhaust valve was open) around and out.

Tyler
RedZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #43
8upZR1

I just wanted to chime in and say that I too found those marks that the screw threads left on your head/piston when I took my motor apart, although my issue was a head gasket. Aparently the screw(s) bounced around for a while and then went out of the exhaust. All of my cylinders looked this way. I dunno where my screws came from though as my secondary throttles ahd all of their fasteners.

My daily driver/family transport is a 05 Toyota Scion Xb. A month after I got the car I sucked a dime through the motor. Yes 10 cents. It bent the ground strap on the plug and then made an exit. I found the dime in the cat. I was very lucky but it is very possible that relatively large objects can pass through a motor without major damage.
Old 10-29-2006   #44
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZR
Tyler,

You sound as if you have experience with this. Just how common of a problem is this- do these bolts often come out?

Dan
Just make sure you tape off the IH openings after you pull the plenum, it keeps one from droping things into the motor.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #45
blackjack

i hate to tell you this,but sometimes the screw will beat the piston just enough to make it collapse a bit and squeeze the top ring ,preventing it from mooving freely,resulting in a bit less compression in that cylinder...the engine will still run very good,though....just a tought....ive seen it happen
bj
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #46
Bill

I talked to several knowledgeable people last weekend at the ZR1 gathering west. Like 8up said,comments were made about having found screw marks in combustion chambers, but no screws. I guess that the screw can go out the exhaust.

bj I did check a compression check on all cylinders when I started low was 180 high was 198 and the affected cylinder was 185 so I don't think I had that kind of damage.

The more imput we have here the more it might help me and others in the future
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #47
WB9MCW

IM GONNA LOCKTITE MY LOOSE SCREWS....LOL...I HAD TO SAY IT!!!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #48
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW
IM GONNA LOCKTITE MY LOOSE SCREWS....LOL...I HAD TO SAY IT!!!
I hope you made sure to avoid your eardrums.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #49
blackjack

bj
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #50
Jim Jones

WOW!! Great educational thread!! Bill, I am thrilled for you that everything worked out as well as it did! As I was reading it, I was getting that sinking feeling at the beginning, you know, the one that says, 'what else can go wrong with my baby' feeling. As everyone began to chip in with suggestions, I started feeling better. Congrats on solving the problem!

I hope that I never have this problem, but if I do, I'm glad that there is information like this to help me out. Thanks!

Jim

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by Jim Jones; 11-02-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote